transitioning from female to male...

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options
    I just think everyone has different styles, I don' t think this is so much a "male/female" thing, honestly. All my bosses are male, yet I have three unbelievably nice ones and two really heinous ones. Gender doesn't enter into it so much.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've found that my female and male bosses are pretty much the same, except that if my male boss was an *kitten* he was more honest about it than if my female boss was an *kitten* hole. If I've been back stabbed it's pretty much been by a female boss (except once) where as if my male boss (except that one case) was going to stab me he'd more likely go for the gut. In all seriousness, though, I get along better with my male bosses because they are straight forward. If they take credit for your work they do it in front of you, if they give you credit they do it publicly, and they act the same in the office as the do the bar. My current boss if probably my second most favorite (both being men) because he's a straight shooter with a great respect for his staff and honest forthcoming with expectations. Not saying that these are solely male boss qualities, these are great boss qualities that I'm lucky my now boss possesses.

If you need something ask, if you are unsure about something ask, and if you prefer communication occurs in some way other than shouting out the door just let him know that it's easier for you to not miss something when you have it in writing. I always default to a straight forward approach.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, male or female; I am always very up front with my bosses and tell them what I need from them. If I were you, I would tell him that I have found out after the fact that he yelled something from my office when I was not at my desk and I can not be expected to deal with assignments sent to me this way. I WANT to do what is needed by the organization, but I need to know in a more concrete manner what assignments you are expecting me to work on. I would be telling him that I deal much better if he gives me assignments in email or on an agenda in a one on one meeting with him and that I need due dates if he has any in mind; otherwise I will prioritize as I see fit. I am always willing to review with him (or her) my to-do list and how I have prioritized IF they think I am not getting things done how they want.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe ask for a one to one meeting with your boss and ask him to help you out by being clearer about what he wants you to do? Explain to him how you worked with your previous bosses and maybe you can work something out between you so you can be a more productive team :)

I agree with this. It's a lot easier to work with men imo because there isn't that silent ... heirarchy determination? I feel like working with women means you have to determine which one is the dominant female, which is such a pain in the *kitten*. (Why do you think I went into engineering?? lol)

Working with men just means you have a job to do and you do it to the best of your ability and then go home. Very straightforward and simple. :P

I encourage you to speak to him directly saying that if he needs something from you to please do so via email or written note to ensure that you get the message etc. etc. etc... Good luck! ^_^
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have worked for both male and female bosses and find the male bosses much easier to work for and easier to get along with, but also much higher maintence. When I switched bosses I just typed up an initial counseling statement including what my job duties invovled, the job standard I was under with my previous supervisor, and what I expect of myself. I asked him for his input and after he provided it we both signed it the document that way there was a clear understanding between both parties of what was expected of me. We have a great working relationship but had I not done that I wouldn't have known what was expected...its about taking charge and control of your own career. Good luck! :happy:
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    My bosses holler. They also go crawling into their offices when I tell them to leave me alone when I'm being crabby and bleeding from my vag. (And sometimes, I end up with boxes of chocolates on my desk.) But we also have the worst communication in the world. And they're also the world's best bosses too. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Edit: What I was aiming to say was just ride it out. You both will have to get used to each other :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Be completely up front with him. If this is his first time in a management position, he's adjusting to a lot of new things.

Tell him his hollering from his office instead of using IM or picking up a phone is both distracting and not an efficient way to communicate. That distraction and random interruptions disrupt productivity in the office, which could end up reflecting badly on everyone there.

If you're having to hand hold him through the same thing repetitively, find a tactful way to remind him of that. "Oh, this chart here is the same information we went over last Thursday but a couple numbers got changed for this week...." Don't be passive aggressive about it. Tactful but obvious.

Don't be afraid to request a meeting with him and directly ask him if there is anything he wants changed in the work you do, either in terms of job duties or how much substance and explanation is included in what your produce. Chances are he'll have no clue as to why you're asking. Just be professional and explain it's a new manager, new preferences issue and you want to do the best job you can.