Question for Outdoor Runners

Options
This may seem like an oddball question, but is there ANYTHING I can do to keep ticks off me when I go trail running?? I can't stand running in town so I run on the trails of a near-by nature preserve and now that it's warmer out, ticks are everywhere. Help me :(

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Run faster, get a friend as the sacrificial lamb for the ticks.:tongue:
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right :P haha I know there must be SOMETHING though. Because I'm sure I'm not the only person in the history of ever that prefers running through forests and fields and somebody else must have gotten fed up enough with ticks to make a remedy for the problem! lol
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    I would think longer socks would help. I don't know where you are getting ticks but covering up usually helps.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can only imagine you need to cover up more... light technical fabrics, a running hat, long socks etc. I WAY prefer concrete over trails... I'm a sissy that way :D
  • haleighallen
    Options
    Well I wear pants when I run.... they get caught on my clothing when I run through grass or brush and then they just crawl their way up my body. I usually find them on my head by the time I get home. *shudders*:sick:
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ugggh! I"m glad I haven't had a problem with ticks because just one would keep me on the sidewalks FOREVER!!! Hope someone has a solution for you :)
  • haleighallen
    Options
    I hate the sidewalk lol no hills and terrible on my knees!
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    I run on trails/dirt roads just not through the tall grass. May try to not run through the field and stick to the trails.
  • haleighallen
    Options
    Well the trails aren't like, beaten-down dirt pathes. They are just mowed grass throughout the whole preserve. Sometimes it's nice and short and not a big deal, but right now the mower is lazy and the grass is up to my ankles :/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to spray some insect repellant on your lower legs.
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    If you type in tick repellent or tick spray into your local search engine you get some options.
  • haleighallen
    Options
    And it's safe for use on myself?
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You will probably think I am crazy, but I had a old man tell me one time to drink a shot of vinegar/pickle juice every night and it will keeps ticks and chiggers from biting you. I thought he was insane but I tried it and it works. I am a avid outdoorsman and I have only had two ticks bite me in the last two years. Both times I had forgotton to drink it, actually I forget a lot but thats the only two I have had.
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    It would appear so. I have not used it on myself as I have no issue with ticks, except on my dogs.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Some are better than others. See this article for detailed information about various repellants.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/documents/publications/fact_sheets/tickbiteprevention05.pdf

Thankfully, there are few ticks where I live. I used to live in ticksville, though, and used citronella. It's not as effective as others but seemed to at least keep them off. Trick is you have to put quite a bit of it on (your clothes and your skin). A little bit won't do the trick.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    And it's safe for use on myself?

It depends on the repellent. There are also LOTS of repellents that will work just as well when just sprayed on the clothing. Permethrin is an excellent example of this.

Tucking your shirt into your pants and your pants into your socks (or getting drawstring/cinch pants that can be closed around your ankles) is a good step in keeping the ticks on the outside of your clothing. It's not foolproof, but it slows the little buggers down. Wear light clothing so you can see them. Spray Permethrin, DEET, or another effective repellent to the outside of your pants, socks, and shoes. That will help keep them from staying on your clothes without getting the chemicals on your skin (I've used DEET on my skin for years, but keeping ticks off my clothes is enough, so why increase your exposure unnecessarily?)

Three weeks ago, I ended up digging a tick out of my inner thigh that was in so deep I had to go after it with a pocket knife and pliers. IT WAS NOT FUN!!!! I'm now watching for Lyme symptoms to see if I need to see my doctor about it. So far, so good.

Fortunately, the numbers do not support a huge panic. Lyme disease, which is the major "big scary" that ticks carry, is easily caught early, and easily treatable with standard antibiotics.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As a former hunter I feel your pain. Wear socks and spray them and the pants legs with DEET (do not let it touch your skin!) Also, if they are on your head and neck they are probably falling out of the trees onto your head. Wear a hat and keep the top of it sprayed with DEET. Other than that it's hunt and pick for the ones that make it on you alive.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Look in the camping section there is organic tick spray out there for humans.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    DEET (do not let it touch your skin!)

I'd only add "...in large quantities".

DEET is nothing to be scared of with a small exposure. No need to have it applied by an EPA team in full HAZMAT gear or call poison control if you accidentally spray some on bare skin. It's safe enough for daily use, though there is some concern about repeated exposure in large doses.

There's a bunch of us older folks who used to smear "Ben's 100" (100% pure DEET) directly on our skin for decades. The sprays they have now are under 10% DEET, and a little bit every now and again ain't gonna hurt ya none. :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Spray deep woods off on your clothing, and less toxic stuff on your skin. And check your body carefully when you get done. Same type of prevention as going camping!