Dear people that say large weight gain is muscle..

Options
1235»

Replies

• GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To those that say that. Please just stop it... just stop.. I see tons of posts on here daily where someone has gained 5-8lbs in a couple days to a week and the answer people give is "You've gained muscle" No... Not even likely if they are on a prohormone/gear(steroids)

This extra weight is usually water.

When you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about.

However, despite what the scale says, you are actually losing fat during this time. The extra water retention will stop once your body has adjusted to its new activity level.

Other reasons if they aren't working out included:
    •Sodium intake
    •Food weight (especially if eating more heavy proteins than usual)
    •If they had ate low carb for a few days then carbing up.
    •They aren't measuring their food right and estimating wrong.

Thank you for explaining this, and so clearly. You're right about so much of what's posted. It easy to become very confused, especially regarding weight-training.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets ME is when people don't post the time over which the gain has happened, or their lifestyle before/after starting, or their build, or anything. It bothers me when people say something is impossible only because we all carry, hold, and adjust weight differently.

It's like when people say 10lbs = 7 inch loss. No, not for everyone. Same with this muscle business. If you have a lot of muscle to begin with, if all of that muscle bulks just a little bit, you can easily gain several pounds... However, it's outside of the "averages" and is not the case in most circumstances.

So, say someone posts they gained 8 in 2 weeks. Well, if they were very tall, this is possible. Not LIKELY, but it's possible. I just get tired of it when people make blanket statements, because this is a journey that is very specific to the individual, and though it can be a good jumping off place to start at the averages... I think people should encourage those that are freaking out to get personalized professional assistance, instead of asking for MFPinions.

The human body doesn't work like that. You don't gain tiny bits in different places to add up to huge gains. The human body is a whole system. It breaks down and builds up muscle tissue all over on a daily basis. Net gain or loss depends solely on the body's physical need, and appropriate nutrition. Even if your body did put on an extra pound of muscle in your arms, it probably removed 1 pound of muscle from other parts of the body that wasn't using it. It can't magically create something out of nothing.

Think of a house made from blocks. You can build one of the walls higher by taking blocks off of the other 3 walls, but you still have the same amount of blocks. You can't build up all the walls without going out and getting more blocks. When a person is eating at a caloric deficit, they aren't adding any new blocks to their house, so they are not building muscle, especially in a matter of days.

It's not a question of averages, it's a question of physics and biology.

Exactly. Perfect explanation as always!

8 pounds in 2 weeks. Heh....

As far as I'm concerned, you still have not addressed my point, nor proven me wrong. You cannot prove 100% that there never was a person in existence that did this. I never said that it was common. In fact, I said it was unlikely. I just admitted that I could believe it was possible.

I know a woman that has 16 extra bones in her body. I bet those extra bones make her weigh more. If she didn't know that, she could be fighting the pounds from those bones for years thinking it was stubborn fat deposits.

Just stop demeaning people and insulting people that have a differing understanding, way of wording things, etc. It really is best help, for us to encourage the confused to get personalized assistance, and not defer to the people on here. Face it, we all have some sort of lack of education and ability. At least a personalized source of information could be assessing the actual situation, instead of just the details the person chose to share.
    You can believe anything you want, I'll believe the laws of science. You CANNOT add new tissue to your body while eating less calories than your body needs to maintain it's current size. It is physically and biologically impossible. Thermodynamics, you can't create something out of nothing.

LMAO um... I never, ever said that. All I said is I can believe there is a scenario that a person can gain 8 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks. That it was unlikely, but possible. *I* never said that a deficit existed for this to occur... However, I know that I ate a deficit and built up anyway. I don't go by a man-made theory used to explain the unexplainable. Have fun though, being so uppity :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I know a woman that has 16 extra bones in her body. I bet those extra bones make her weigh more. If she didn't know that, she could be fighting the pounds from those bones for years thinking it was stubborn fat deposits.

But that woman would have always had those extra bones, so it would have just been what she weighed, part of what she always weighed because her entire life she was a few pounds more. It's not like she gained 16 extra bones in two weeks.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

But that woman would have always had those extra bones, so it would have just been what she weighed, part of what she always weighed because her entire life she was a few pounds more. It's not like she gained 16 extra bones in two weeks.

What if she got bone implants....... I bet Q is talking about a Kardasian, those Kardaians will do anything when it comes to plastic surgery! :-) Q I love ya, and I just really wanted to use the Kardasians in a sentance. If I was a girl they'd give me FBB.. (THANKS BREE FOR THAT ONE!)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    To those that say that. Please just stop it... just stop.. I see tons of posts on here daily where someone has gained 5-8lbs in a couple days to a week and the answer people give is "You've gained muscle" No... Not even likely if they are on a prohormone/gear(steroids)

When you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about.

However, despite what the scale says, you are actually losing fat during this time. The extra water retention will stop once your body has adjusted to its new activity level.

•Sodium intake

ok so in everyone's experience how long does it take the water weight to leave? sometimes it feels like that extra weight that suddenly appears hangs around a few weeks... just started insanity and that is just what happened. i know it's not muscle, so it has to be water.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

•Sodium intake
    Thanks so much for the excellent info. Sounds like someones done some technical research.:smile:

:ohwell: Yeah.... That does sound pretty funny about it JUST being muscle... But this also explains my increased joint pain since doing this circuit training thing. It gets pretty painful. I get really poofed up, and this makes my joints extra sore, as well as those muscles being sore. I guess that would be normal to experience that. I'm sure Im not the only one, for people with arthritis it sucks to be retaining the water. Ever drink that cactus juice for the inflamation?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

What if she got bone implants....... I bet Q is talking about a Kardasian, those Kardaians will do anything when it comes to plastic surgery! :-) Q I love ya, and I just really wanted to use the Kardasians in a sentance. If I was a girl they'd give me FBB.. (THANKS BREE FOR THAT ONE!)

Heres my Kardashian online sentance..... Dear Kardashians... I think your rich enough, and Im not going to watch your show anymore.. Im boycotting the E Channel!!! Just kidding... I'll probably still watch that damm show anyway! :ohwell: And I can't miss Tosh or The Fashion Police either. Darn it. :tongue:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I've gained about 10 lb since I started lifting. While some of it might be newbie muscle gain, I'm guessing maybe 1/4 of it at best is muscle.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

•Sodium intake
    Thanks so much for the excellent info. Sounds like someones done some technical research.:smile:

:ohwell: Yeah.... That does sound pretty funny about it JUST being muscle... But this also explains my increased joint pain since doing this circuit training thing. It gets pretty painful. I get really poofed up, and this makes my joints extra sore, as well as those muscles being sore. I guess that would be normal to experience that. I'm sure Im not the only one, for people with arthritis it sucks to be retaining the water. Ever drink that cactus juice for the inflamation?

Fish Oil and Cissus Powder is your friend if you are getting inflammation.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    DAILLLYYY BUUUUUMMMMMPPPPP...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets ME is when people don't post the time over which the gain has happened, or their lifestyle before/after starting, or their build, or anything. It bothers me when people say something is impossible only because we all carry, hold, and adjust weight differently.

It's like when people say 10lbs = 7 inch loss. No, not for everyone. Same with this muscle business. If you have a lot of muscle to begin with, if all of that muscle bulks just a little bit, you can easily gain several pounds... However, it's outside of the "averages" and is not the case in most circumstances.

So, say someone posts they gained 8 in 2 weeks. Well, if they were very tall, this is possible. Not LIKELY, but it's possible. I just get tired of it when people make blanket statements, because this is a journey that is very specific to the individual, and though it can be a good jumping off place to start at the averages... I think people should encourage those that are freaking out to get personalized professional assistance, instead of asking for MFPinions.

The human body doesn't work like that. You don't gain tiny bits in different places to add up to huge gains. The human body is a whole system. It breaks down and builds up muscle tissue all over on a daily basis. Net gain or loss depends solely on the body's physical need, and appropriate nutrition. Even if your body did put on an extra pound of muscle in your arms, it probably removed 1 pound of muscle from other parts of the body that wasn't using it. It can't magically create something out of nothing.

Think of a house made from blocks. You can build one of the walls higher by taking blocks off of the other 3 walls, but you still have the same amount of blocks. You can't build up all the walls without going out and getting more blocks. When a person is eating at a caloric deficit, they aren't adding any new blocks to their house, so they are not building muscle, especially in a matter of days.

As far as I'm concerned, you still have not addressed my point, nor proven me wrong. You cannot prove 100% that there never was a person in existence that did this. I never said that it was common. In fact, I said it was unlikely. I just admitted that I could believe it was possible.

Just stop demeaning people and insulting people that have a differing understanding, way of wording things, etc. It really is best help, for us to encourage the confused to get personalized assistance, and not defer to the people on here. Face it, we all have some sort of lack of education and ability. At least a personalized source of information could be assessing the actual situation, instead of just the details the person chose to share.
    You can believe anything you want, I'll believe the laws of science. You CANNOT add new tissue to your body while eating less calories than your body needs to maintain it's current size. It is physically and biologically impossible. Thermodynamics, you can't create something out of nothing.
    All I said is I can believe there is a scenario that a person can gain 8 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks.
    Clearly there ARE people who are perfectly capable of believing that a person can gain 8 pounds of muscle in two weeks.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Daily bump! To keep this up where the masses can read it! FREE THE KNOWLEDGE!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

LMAO um... I never, ever said that. All I said is I can believe there is a scenario that a person can gain 8 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks. That it was unlikely, but possible. *I* never said that a deficit existed for this to occur... However, I know that I ate a deficit and built up anyway. I don't go by a man-made theory used to explain the unexplainable. Have fun though, being so uppity :)
    It is not physically possible, and it's certainly not unexplainable. Physical adaptation doesn't happen that quickly.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

It is not physically possible, and it's certainly not unexplainable. Physical adaptation doesn't happen that quickly.
    It doesn't?

How very disappointing.

I was hoping to evolve longer legs, I suppose you're going to tell me that's not going to happen either... :bigsmile:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

It doesn't?

How very disappointing.

I was hoping to evolve longer legs, I suppose you're going to tell me that's not going to happen either... :bigsmile:

Not without some special supplements that the FDA frowns upon!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    no no no, the fat turns INTO muscles.... and it WEIGHS more!

no no no, the white stuff in your pee is really your body getting rid of the fat. :bigsmile:

no no no, the white stuff in your pee is BABY juice leaving your body.... :laugh:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

no no no, the white stuff in your pee is really your body getting rid of the fat. :bigsmile:

no no no, the white stuff in your pee is BABY juice leaving your body.... :laugh:

I'm not a baby, imma big boy.
    Options

I forgot a word.... making.....
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

So the storm comes and takes away your fat? I need a whole flock of storks to come then!
    Options

So the storm comes and takes away your fat? I need a whole flock of storks to come then!

dang, now there are storms involved, too???