How can I get more protein with whole foods? Snacks?

Options
KBecks
KBecks Posts: 9 Member
Hi everybody, I need to learn some good ways to get more protein in my diet. I prefer not to have to do shakes or bars too much or even get too crazy with the blender.... .maybe a little of that is OK, but I am mostly looking for good ideas to get more protein on a daily basis, in ways that taste good!!! I get regular cardio exercise and would like to balance my carbs/fat/protein more evenly.

Thank you so much!

Replies

• sgist82
    sgist82 Posts: 3
    Options
    1-low fat string cheese
    2-almonds
    3-my favorite (no bake protein bars). Taste like peanut butter goodness: http://www.badassfitness.net/level2/no_bake_protien_bars.html
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. One 6 oz. cup of plain Fage brand has 18 g of protein.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't take any protein supplements, and I eat around 160-180g each day. I just eat chicken, tuna, egg whites, and cottage cheese. You can mix most of those with whatever you are already eating.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Almonds are not a good source of protein. Meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, textured vegetable protein, and Greek yogurt make up the bulk of my protein intake. I'd be careful with eating too much tuna, though, for mercury reasons.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This
  • Pascali
    Pascali Posts: 3
    Options
    lentils
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Although yogurt isn't necessarily a "whole" food, it is really great protein source. I use 1/2 cup greek yogurt, some strawberries and blueberries or a banana, and add a little juice (like a couple tablespoons - usually cranberry) just to put a little liquid in it and it makes wonderful shakes in the mornings.

Can you also try to add more beans - black/kidney/chickpeas/white beans, and also lentils? I was actually surprised how wonderful lentils were when I made them in stuffed peppers the other night. I like to add beans to my salads...
  • ALittleLikeHell
    Options
    Buy Hemp powder :) Its a complete protein, and you don't have to make shakes or whack out the blender or anything. You can add it to porridge, pasta, salad, soup etc etc etc
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

This

x2
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Edamame, black beans, and organic tofu or tempeh is great.