Your opinion on FITBIT

Options
reyna99
reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
I've been deciding what I want to do after Les Mills PUMP(2 weeks left) and thought whatever workout program I chose, would be a great Mother's Day gift...but I'm in love with PUMP so I'm going to add Insanity(which I already have) with PUMP and ask for a fitbit :))

but tell me what you think, is it worth the investment?

Replies

• TheMissingSock
    Options
    I <3 my fitbit. just be careful where you put it when you do hardcore sweating. I have killed a couple that way.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump anyone else...
  • mabell7779
    mabell7779 Posts: 20
    Options
    I LOVE MY FITBIT. I wear it 24 hours a day, and the only time I charge it is when I shower. It is very addicting.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Heck YES. Better than PUMP!!!

I was at a plateau for quite a while until I got my Fitbit. MFP was calculating my daily expenditure at 300-600 cals under what I was actually doing! With the new adjustment, I've increased my calories and busted through my plateau. Best investment ever!
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine Sunday and Monday I was extremely sick but already I think I have a problem. Since I was sick on Monday and I'm a stay at home mom so being lazy is easy so I was trying to double my numbers from Monday (The day I did the absolute basic) on tuesday. Today of course I got back to my regular and I kept looking at my fitbit and feeling like I needed to get up and moving to make my number go higher. Of course I think tomorrow I'm going to try and keep it like today maybe a little more. I feel addicted.
  • bethb4
    bethb4 Posts: 48
    Options
    great thread! I'd like more opinions- I just ordered mine on tuesday and am SO excited to get it. It is not often I spend $100 on a single item for myself!
  • sundaykl
    sundaykl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit over the weekend and have worn it pretty much all the time the last few days. I love it so far! I really like that I have a better idea of my overall activity level over the whole day, not just the spikes when I work out. The sleep monitor is pretty cool but I wonder a bit about how it knows you are awakened except by movement. Not sure about its accuracy.

A couple things I'm learning...the sync between MFP and FitBit is not instantaneous. Often it takes a little while before my sync shows up in MFP or my food/activity logging shows up in the FitBit app. I highly recommend using the timer when you are doing a real purposeful workout like a walk/jog/etc. That will increase the FitBit's accuracy a lot.

All-in-all it has been a good investment and at this point every little bit of data helps me to manage my health!
  • bethb4
    bethb4 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks sundaykl- I've heard the sleep feature seems a bit off but good to know the rest is working out well.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for a couple of months and absolutely love it. It motivates me to move more. I do agree with sunday, the syncing does take a while, I have even notice it will change overnight after I have closed my diary, but it is nothing major. If utilized correctly it can be a great help and motivator. If not, its just an expensive pedometer!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit over the weekend and have worn it pretty much all the time the last few days. I love it so far! I really like that I have a better idea of my overall activity level over the whole day, not just the spikes when I work out. The sleep monitor is pretty cool but I wonder a bit about how it knows you are awakened except by movement. Not sure about its accuracy.

A couple things I'm learning...the sync between MFP and FitBit is not instantaneous. Often it takes a little while before my sync shows up in MFP or my food/activity logging shows up in the FitBit app. I highly recommend using the timer when you are doing a real purposeful workout like a walk/jog/etc. That will increase the FitBit's accuracy a lot.

All-in-all it has been a good investment and at this point every little bit of data helps me to manage my health!

Agree. I've had my Fitbit for about the same time I've been on MFP -- so a little over 2 months. I love the link between Fitbit and MFP and I like that it motivates me to keep moving. Even my kids want to know everyday how many steps I've taken and how many flights of steps. It's been a great investment for me. I clip my on my bra, but when working out it can get pretty sweaty depending on where it's clipped.

Good luck and if you'd like, friend me (that goes for anyone) to go along this journey together.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Best little gadget I've ever purchased for fitness. Yesterday I forgot and left it in the charger, remembered it as I drove into the parking lot of my office. I almost panicked. Drove home for lunch to get it. My husband says I'm obsessed with it and love it more than him. Nope, I'm just addicted. Makes me aware of moving. Do use the stop watch feature for intense workouts.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm still on the fence on the FitBit, I'm VERY annoyed at it's lack of documentation - thus I'm still confused about how to get some things to sync/work right (and yes, I've read the website and tried to get the FAQ pages here to work). I like it, but at the same time I don't know how much I trust it still.

And for the "sweat" issue, I've ordered a Neoprene case (USB carrying case) that I'm gonna put it in, hopefully to help protect it a little more against bumps & sweat.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like the sleep feature, now even more so...I found the default was set on "sensitive", lol.

I'm a stairclimber, our weather isn't the best for outside activity during the day (desert), Fitbit is awesome for stairs!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I put mine on for the first time yesterday morning and I love it already.... At least I have an idea what I'm burning now instead of a guesstimate...
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can you walk a few days before syncing to the account or does the days you didn't sync just add on the day you sync? For example, if I walk Monday & Tuesday but don't sync untilThursday- will my steps show up on Monday & Tuesday after I sync. Or will all the steps be added on Thursday, the day I sync. Reason I am asking is because a few days out of the week I am not arround wifi areas.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I've had my fitbit for over a year now and I'm so addicted to it. I wear it everyday. I took 1 week off from it while on Easter break and decided that I need that accountablitiy. I just recently signed up on MFP to track food because fitbit's site isn't as easy to use. Like you lately my syncing isn't happening as quick as it was in the beginnign and it's driving me crazy. Also not sure how MFP calculates how many exercise calories I'm getting in a day. I walked yesterday and I know it was about 234 calories but fitbit gave me somewhere like 600 calories for the day. Now granted I was running all day long taking the kids here, walking all over the house searching for things, but not 600 calories worth? So I'm manually tracking things this week and will see what my weight loss is.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The stair thing makes me a bit crazy. On more than one occasion, upon reaching the top of a set of stairs I've turned around, gone to the bottom and back up just so my stairs counter would increment again.
  • Beamll
    Beamll Posts: 28
    Options
    My sister, daughter and myself have fitbit and love it :bigsmile: . Have had not problems so far. There is a fitbit group on here also. I live in a two story house with full basement and sit all day at work. Felt like I wasn't burning any calories but the bit has shown otherwise.
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Can someone answer my question about syncing? Because if it doesn't sync properly if you can't sync everyday which I wont be able to sync everyday- it would seem like an overpriced pedo.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    great thread! I'd like more opinions- I just ordered mine on tuesday and am SO excited to get it. It is not often I spend $100 on a single item for myself!

Same here. I hardly ever treat myself and am hoping it'll be good motivation to do more.

(Mine was despatched Monday but still waiting...)