Feeling disappointed...

Options
a year ago i vowed to myself that i would lose at least 50 pounds by my 25th birthday, I came up with schedule, and a diet plan and workout plan as well. As always my first couple of weeks go realy good, I'm feeling better, less sluggish and ready to lose weight then somehow i always find myself right back at square one: eating junk, eating late, and slacking on my work outs. needless to say I binge eat pretty bad and i really would like to controll it. I always find myself look at pictures of other people with the bodyi desire and instantly feel sad sometimes get sick to my stomach because I too want to have a nice body but can never seem to follow through! I'm really ready for a lifestlye change but can never seem to stay focused any suggestions on how to change my bad habits?

Replies

• chicklidell
    chicklidell Posts: 275
    Options
    I can only say tackle one at a time, don't change too much too soon. Make a list of things that you know you can live without and things you must have. Then accomodate your lifestyle to include those choices, deprivation will lead to binges or failure, so include the foods, even bad ones, that you know you truly want to keep, just make room for them...good luck
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Telling yourself, "I'm going to lose 50 pounds by X date" is setting yourself up for failure. 50 pounds is a LOT of weight to drop (for example, my 7-year-old son weighs 50 pounds!). You need to set milestone goals. Having 10 "small" goals of losing 5 pounds makes it feel like you are actively achieving your goals, and it is possible to do. Sure, 50 pounds is your "ultimate" goal, but imagine how satisfied and motivated you'll feel when you reach that first 5 pound goal? It's like a great self-confidence boost and keeps you on track. I'd say set a goal of 5 pounds, or 5% of your total body weight (whichever is less) and set an equally achievable goal for 1/2-1 pound per week.
    Also - don't punish yourself for bad choices. We all have days where we eat something we know probably isn't good for us (I had donuts yesterday). But, you look at that isolated incident as, just that... a one-time incident, not a "lifestyle". You slipped up, you fudged, it was some friend's birthday and you had cake... big deal, tomorrow you get a clean slate and new opportunity to make good food choices. Remember that feeling of defeat and ask yourself if the chips or sweets are worth feeling like that tomorrow. Above all, though, don't ride your own case so hard you feel discouraged. It's a journey and a learning experience. You can do it!
  • greene89
    greene89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was the same, I binge ate all the time. Even recently I sometimes do it and get caught up and eat like crap for the weeked. But the way i stay focused, is I have my 6 days a week of healthy low cal eating, and the one cheat day. THen at least you dont have to give all the food you love up completly.

Also I find writing down everything, calories min of workout and etc.. helps me be acountable.

As for workouts, I get bored easy, so I use different online free workout vids every day to keep if interesting.

And having the right food in the house and NO JUNK FOOD in the house reallllly helps ! also knowing what foods are healthy and low cal that acually taste good~
  • ErikainGA82
    ErikainGA82 Posts: 11
    Options
    I feel ya. I have fizzed out for the past few weeks. I lost 60 pounds over the past year, but still have a lot to go. I finally sat down last night, looked at pictures of my progress so far, and I asked myself, "What is making me slack off with fitness, and snack like crazy?" I wrote down some things and when it came down to it, my answers were these: the lack of emotional support around me...I'm from an obese family, and I'm the only one trying to do anything to lose weight. (It's a lot easier to stand up on a chair and be pulled down, rather than stand on a chair and pull people up). Also, I get bored super easy, and due to the availbility of junk food in my house, I snack. So now, as an alternative, I've become a crossword junkie when I'm not working, or working out. It's just one vice that keeps my mind focused and challenged, and I can take it somewhere and work on it, like to the lake or to the park...away from the food. I'm back on track now, and eating healthy and working out again, but it's really challenging. One thing we all need to realize is not to punish ourselves emotionally for having "Off" days, or sometimes, weeks. The weight was put on over time, it's going to take time to get is off. Good luck. I hope you find your motivation, and I really like what was said in other comments about setting your weight loss goals in steps. 60 pounds ago, if someone would have said, "Ok, now lose 60 pounds," I would have stressed out, gave up, and ate some ice cream, lol. Instead I told myself, "just lose ten...ok now ten more...", etc. ;)
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So far (and by so far I mean 2 days :wink: ), the Groups have been a good source of encouragement for me. I seem to need that challenge and structure to stay on track. Instead of "in # years I want to weigh 160 lbs.", I have shorter goals of "today I'm going to walk for the entire C25K work out" and slightly longer term ones of "by next month I'm going to be able to complete the C25K workout complete with running segments". Maybe having those short term goals, each a step to that larger goal, will help to keep you focused. It's easier to feel successful and stay positive when you know you accomplished 100% of today's goal than to feel motivated by "yes, I am 0.5% closer to my overall goal!"

I suggest checking out the Groups in the Community section and finding one or two that you honestly feel you can keep up with. Sure, P90X sounds incredibly impressive and I would love to say I did it... but if I'm honest with myself then I know that's not going to happen right now. I would get too discouraged and would fall back to doing nothing to hide from my failure. But squats and walking... I can do that. Baby steps! And the key... don't be a wallflower. Post what you accomplished. Even if it isn't required by the group or you only do it on your blog, have some place where you're accountable to it and that your support group (MFP friends) will see so you at least feel you should do it.
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible binge eater too. I have found that I am an emotional eater and a sugar addict. Something that has helped me is to take each day one meal at a time. When I find myself feeling stressed and wanting to eat I chew on a piece of sugar free gum. I agree with those who said to break your ultimate goal into smaller more attainable goals. And stay connected on here! Find good friends that will keep you motivated and let you know that it's ok if you slip up once in awhile, every day is a new day!