Oatmeal the night before?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love the steel cut oats. I make a pot in the oven on Sunday night, and it lasts me through the work week. In the mornings , I just dip some out, add some frozen fruit and nuke it for a minute.

Holy muscles Batman!! Those are amazing, Fruitloops! :)
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just microwave Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and about 8 blueberries. For me it is 1 min 45 secs and then add 1/2 cup of skim milk. It's fast, simple and I like the taste plus you get the added benefits of the cinnamon and blueberries in addition to the oatmeal.

Same here. I do 1/3 cup Old Fashioned oats, microwave for 1 min 25 sec. Then I typically add 1/4 cup thawed frozen strawberries (or whatever fruit happens to be on sale if I don't have any I've picked and frozen myself), 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt, and a tablespoon of either heavy cream, half & half, or whole milk.

But I'm very curious to try the refridgerator oatmeal, especially as it gets warmer out when I won't want to be heating anything in the morning!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Oh I've totally done this.

On Sundays in the winter, I'll cook up a big(ish) pot of steel cut oats on the stove and dish it into those Glad/Ziploc bowls to cool and store.

I'll typically eat those oats for 3 mornings. I make a point of making the oatmeal with water, never with milk. I'll occasionally add some soy or regular milk when I reheat them to add back in some moisture. I reheat them in the microwave and eat them on the way to work.

And the awesome thing is? If you store the oatmeal before adding any dried fruits or spices, you can change it up from day to day so you never get sick of the same flavor!

This is also my method. I do put milk the day I reheat because I like it a little soupier. And I love to change up the flavors. I usually make enough for 3-4 days.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I make "Baked Oatmeal" on the weekends and enjoy it throughout the week. Easily keeps 4-5 days in the fridge.

3 cups quick cooking oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

Recipe makes 6-8 servings. It can be halfed and baked in a 8x8 baking dish.

I like it most, scooped in a bowl, warmed up in the microwave and topped with some milk.