400 calories a day - Cambridge diet.

Options
I just came across an article just now which I'm really shocked about. I don't know how any newspaper (even the dailymail, and their love of celeb weight losses!) could possibly be allowed to what looks like promote a really unhealthy weight loss programme.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2138369/TOWIEs-Frankie-Essex-looks-slender-sexy-sun-Marbella-losing-stone-just-weeks.html

Quote from the article: "all that sweat and starvation clearly paid off as there was barely a stretch mark or inch of fat on show." :noway:
They didn't say anything negative about the what she was following at all - The Cambridge Diet Plan, which involves consuming just 400 calories a day!! All they did was mention how well it had worked, how great she looked etc.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really don't think that should be allowed. Fine, mention her weight loss, but I do think something must be mentioned in there as a warning about how unhealthy it is, instead of just glamorising all the quick fixes. It sets such a bad example to any other women wanting to lose weight, and not having much success.

Replies

• Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I agree! That is terribly unhealthy. They are wrong to promote it. Somebody somewhere is going to be looking into that diet thinking they can look like her...
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that tabloids have any obligation to their readers. If you read tabloids to follow its weight loss advice, you know what you're getting yourself into.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    That's terrible.

Like people need another reason to rationalize starving themselves.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ha, oh my.
    What kinda rabbit hole did I just fall into?

Out of all the articles I stumbled upon in the five minutes after I followed that link.
    Trust me, this one is the least of my concerns.

Eeep, I feel like I need to go shower now...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that tabloids have any obligation to their readers. If you read tabloids to follow its weight loss advice, you know what you're getting yourself into.

I agree to some extent. They shouldn't have to worry about everything they talk about in case people interpret it and do something unhealthy, but this is blatantly glamorising it! Also, not everyone knows what they're getting themselves into.
    People wanting to lose weight often may see something like this, where all that's mentioned is good and think this is the answer to all their weight issues - I know someone who followed this programme a few years ago, lost several stone in just 2/3 months (1st = 14lbs) and then just gained it all back, plus more after they started eating normally again. They constantly used to fall for the fad diets, and this was a grown woman.
    What about the teenagers who are much more impressionable, and under pressure to look good, who may look up to this woman now? It just encouraging really dangerous eating behaviours IMO.

I think it was the use of the word "starvation" in a good context that made it a lot worse tbh. How the hell is starvation worth that extra bit of weight loss?! :noway:
  • Steph7x
    Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I followed this diet years ago, lost weight really fast, but had zero energy and i did indeed put it all back on. Main downfall is the price its roughly £40 odd a week! I remember having to check a urine sample everyday to make sure i hadnt slipped into Ketosis.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could follow that. I get almost 400 calories in one of my five meals each day. To each is own. Sadly, people are always looking for a quick fix. I guess we need to stand up and inform people of what healthy is, obviously that is not.
  • bjbex
    bjbex Posts: 24
    Options
    I did this diet before me wedding. Yes you drop weight quickly, but I put it on even quicker! I was starving, grumpy and fainted nearly every day! Don't do it! xxxxx
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd do it, but it's too bloody expensive and my BMI isn't high enough.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect anything less from the Daily Smut to be honest. Pay no mind, another few articles like this and the law suits will see them going the way of the NotW.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what looks like promote a really unhealthy weight loss programme.

"Unhealthy" is in the eye of the beholder. Such diets are medically approved for use for a limited period (6-8 weeks) in obese or overweight people in the UK after checking with your GP. There are several commercial diets of a similar nature.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ hence not being able to do it under a certain BMI.

My friend did it and lost 5 stone plus, she hasn't put any back on because she eats healthily now. it's better than a gastric band or invasive surgery.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thought that was shocking, you should have seen the article in Grazia last week about the woman who had a food drip put in her nose by a doctor to she could drip 800 cals of no-carb diet directly into her stomach! Apparently, you're not hungry due to the constant drip... At least Grazia was shocked by this bazaar trend!