Protein Shakes

Options
How many a day should I be drinking? I am doing p90x right now, and usually just have 1 after my workout... should I be drinking more than that? Or replacing a meal with it? Thanks for any insight :)

Replies

• anunknownmouse
    Options
    You don't have to be having protein shakes. Period. Just eat enough protein throughout the day. If you like protein shakes, go right ahead, but they are by no means "mandatory" for results.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Entirely up to you. You should be aiming for 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you are able to hit that through whole foods, then no need for the protein shake. If you are having trouble hitting that, then supplement the protein.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    However many it takes to hit your protein goal. That might even mean zero.
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    I drink at least one daily. Not really as a meal replacement but because I do not get enough protein in on a daily basis. Sometimes I have 2 if I'm really low and I need to up my calorie intake.

Are you replacing meals or using the protein for "repair"?
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I drink at least one daily. Not really as a meal replacement but because I do not get enough protein in on a daily basis. Sometimes I have 2 if I'm really low and I need to up my calorie intake.

Are you replacing meals or using the protein for "repair"?

For repair so far... but I am not sure if I should be using it to replace meals?
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Right now I am on a 50 protein, 30 carb, 20 fat schedule... and I have noticed over the last few diet entries, I am lacking in protein by about 120- 200 per day... So, I am thinking I need to add another shake?
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    Hey guys!

It depends on what type of protein shakes you are doing, some have A TON of carbs, fillers, sugars, etc that are just crappy for you and you're not getting the proper nutrition that you need. So be sure that whatever you are using is a good mix. The brand that i use, i do 2 a day sometimes 1 a day (it depends).

I use one as a morning meal replacement and one as a snack (sometimes as a dessert at night). They're great if you are busy and need replenishing fast and to fend of crappy meals. I know that i cannot get all my nourishment from eating food so i started on a type of protein shakes that have protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc to make sure my body is getting everything it needs.

So i'd use them where ever you see that they fit into your daily schedule :)