MFP's calories burned numbers

Options
Is it just me, or does it seem like the number of calories burned MFP calculates for exercise is really high?
When I do a 3-mile run and enter it on my running app, it says I burned around 300 calories. The same run at the same pace, MFP calculates at 717 calories burned.

That's a HUGE difference! =O

Thoughts?

Replies

• vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that they are high as well. I have a body media fit so I create all my own exercises and use the calorie burn from that.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I'm with you, if it says anything over 10 cals per minute I adjust it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the number of calories burned MFP calculates for exercise is really high?
    When I do a 3-mile run and enter it on my running app, it says I burned around 300 calories. The same run at the same pace, MFP calculates at 717 calories burned.

That's a HUGE difference! =O

Thoughts?

I've found the running calories to be pretty accurate, but just on a hunch, did you buy chance enter it as "Running (jogging), 10.9 mph (5.5 min mile)" when you were running? I know I've made that mistake before, and seen others do the same before, when running an 11 minute mile at 5.5 mph.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't put any faith in MFP exercise *or* food numbers. I always check the labels or go to the company website to get accurate nutrition facts, and I only use my HRM numbers for calories burned.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much everyone agrees on this.
    If you're looking at the distance based calculations, they're a little better (but even there, for an hour's running, mfp gives me about 150 cals more than my HRM).

Just adjust the estimates down, or use your HRM.

The food numbers, on the other hand, are pretty accurate. (Use the barcode scanner, if you're worried, cindy....)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Since using a hrm I've found the thing they have been way over on has been the elliptical. Walking is a bit weird but I think it's because there are so many options and I really don't know the speed I'm walking. But for things like Yoga, pilates and strength training I've found mfp to be under. I would say a hrm is a good investment!
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    MFP is definitely higher. I walked/jogged 8 miles this morning. My HRM showed 814 calories burned; MFP calculated something like 1143! :huh:
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Will rely on my HRM.