Crazy chip aisle

Options
Was just at the grocery store and in the healthy chip aisle there were lots of interesting items.

I was THIS close to buying Plentils, chips made out of lentils, but the little bag was $3.79 so I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever tried them and what they think.

There were also hummus chips, chips made out of hummus, I bought hummus so I wasn't sure how hummus chips dipped in hummus would taste hmmm.... Anyone ever try these?

My favorite alternative chips are Riceworks chips, tortilla style chips made out of rice, soooooo good, I used to get them at Wal-mart but they don't carry them anymore :(

I've had pop chips, I think they're ok, a little too styrofoamy for me.

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am not really a chip girl,but when I need something like that I usually let the sodium content be my guide. To be honest, I usually go for the unsalted black bean tortilla chips since they go with everything...a quick fresh salsa, hummus, cottage cheese, some quick nachos.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I saw the black bean chips, haven't tried them but I'm sure they're tasty.

I forgot to mention I settled on roasted garlic and herb multigrain chips. 27 pieces for only 110 cals!!! They were pretty good.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm actually addicted to puffs.

Puffs of....?

... lolwut?

What?
  • Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Special K Crackers - they taste more like chips and I eat mine with Salsa too :-) 27 chips for 110 calories!!! :-) Not a bad little snack
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Pop Chips Jalapeno... Yum!
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Special K Cracker Chips are good too...
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes, their falafel chips are quite yummy either by themselves or with hummus.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    hm interesting... im addicted to Late July Dude Ranch chips. lol. those things are SO good.
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    Special K Crackers - they taste more like chips and I eat mine with Salsa too :-) 27 chips for 110 calories!!! :-) Not a bad little snack

I've tried the Pepperidge Farm cracker chips, the cheddar ones. I liked them, but to me they seemed more crackerish, LOL maybe a different flavor would help with having them taste more like chips. Maybe I'll try out the special k ones.
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes, their falafel chips are quite yummy either by themselves or with hummus.

How is the nutritional content on these?

I'm pretty much of the mind that if it comes from Trader J's it must be good :) Love that place!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Chips used to be my weakness (I ate them daily!) but I can't tolerate them much any more and I don't care for the "healthy" versions.

I do like wasabi peas though.....great crunch, just enough saltiness, and quite the little kick...
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually just find small bags of baked chips when I'm craving chips. I haven't tried many alternatives, but I found these bags of Lays baked creamy dill chips that are only 130 calories for the bag. That's my go to when I'm craving. I've only been able to find them at subway an the odd convenience store.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Every few months I have a craving for chips - they're not my usual choice. Shopping at Walmart over the weekend, I found Spiced Sweet Potato Chips by World Table. OMG!!! I have to force myself to eat sweet potatoes but these things are excellent!! For 1 oz, about 16 chips, it's 160 cals, 150 sodium, 2 g fiber, 14 carbs, 11g fat (1 saturated). The only thing in the ingredients is sweet potato, canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, salt, evaporated cane juice (Im guessing that's sugar juice but haven't researched it), spices, garlic powder and cilantro. YUM!!!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bumping this, as I am a total chip addict.

Love the Trader Joe's Sea Salt & Pepper Crisps!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can make your own chips in the microwave if you are just looking for a lower fat version. I've heard of it done with potatoes, but I'm sure sweet potatoes or other starchy vegetables would work too.
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    Every few months I have a craving for chips - they're not my usual choice. Shopping at Walmart over the weekend, I found Spiced Sweet Potato Chips by World Table. OMG!!! I have to force myself to eat sweet potatoes but these things are excellent!! For 1 oz, about 16 chips, it's 160 cals, 150 sodium, 2 g fiber, 14 carbs, 11g fat (1 saturated). The only thing in the ingredients is sweet potato, canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, salt, evaporated cane juice (Im guessing that's sugar juice but haven't researched it), spices, garlic powder and cilantro. YUM!!!

Those do sound delicious! I've seen them but haven't tried them yet. There are sooo many alternatives out there :) it's my mission to try them all LOL
  • Evansmama29
    Evansmama29 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My current chip addiction is to Clancy's Sweet Potato Sea Salt Krinkle Cut Chips - found at Aldi's. I think they're $1.89 for a 7oz bag. 1 serving of 14 chips (1oz.) is: 150 cals, 9g tot fat, 1.5g Sat fat, 0mg Chol., 70mg Sodium, 16g Carb, 1g Fiber, 4g Sugar, 1g Protein, 90% daily Vit A. Ingredients are: Sw.potatoes, Veg oil(which contains 1 or more of the following- cottonseed oil, corn, canola, soybean oil) and sea salt. They are sooooo good.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options

I've tried the Pepperidge Farm cracker chips, the cheddar ones. I liked them, but to me they seemed more crackerish, LOL maybe a different flavor would help with having them taste more like chips. Maybe I'll try out the special k ones.

I love the special k cracker chips. I'm a big chips person, and these definitely do the trick!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bump - Chips are my weakness... :)
  • rn20990
    rn20990 Posts: 2
    Options
    Where we're you shopping that they had all theses healthy options?