Fight with personal trainer at the gym

Options

Replies

• tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That is a shame. You were right to end your sessions. I am a group ex instructor and a personal trainer. I could not imagine arguing with my clients on that level. We are there to help you achieve your goals safely.

I see you are in the phoenix area. I do know a wonderful trainer in that area if you are still looking.

I will keep it in mind if this new guy doesnt work out. He did ask me to give him at least 3 sessions to get to know each other. He said this will allow him to read my body better. To tell if he is pushing to hard or not hard enough. He said this wont work without communication. I agree with that.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ok so this morning I got into this huge fight with my personal trainer. Im not new to lozing weight or fitness. I had always been active. I eat well for the most part. 3 yrs ago I was 16% BF. Well with my marriave ending, start of career and making sure my family/kids adjusted well I stopped taking care of me. Put on about 40 lbs and went up to 35% BF. Now everything is settled and back to working on me. Did a month of straight cardio to build up my endurance and decided to start lifting again. I have always been a big believer in lift heavy. Work on large muscle groups. More lean muscle mass, more fat burning. I love free weights but being gone so long wanted a trainer to verify form and just to have a spotter as well. I interviewed several at my gym. Found one that seemed at the time to have the same beliefs. I was sooo excited. Score. Had my first workout and was like yes. Every workout since has been low weight (for me) high reps like 15-20. He wanted to do arms. I questioned him about back and chest. Large muscles. He said your a girl. What does that have to do with anything. So we did arms high reps. Then another work out mostly hiit cardio with stairs. I reiterated that Im there to lift, not do stairs or cardio. I didnt drive all that way for that. Then this morning the same crap. I asked him if I was a man would he work me different. Well yeah. We would do free weights. I asked if he heard of NROLFW. Of course but you need this cardio and machines. Besides you dont want to bulk. Are you serious. I than said I want to do squats and deadlifts today. Again I got your a girl and would do better on the machines. Needless to say he is fired and I had a long talk with the general manager of the gym.

Most gym trainers are crap. I've said it time and time again, garbage. You really need to try and find out a trainer's credentials and experience. Many "trainer" programs are only a couple hundred dollars and you get a certificate to be a trainer. There are only a couple that are really worth it. Most experienced lifters you find in the gym probably have a better clue than most trainer.

You'll learn far more reading books from reputable trainers like Mark Rippletoe, Joe DeFranco, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, etc. You'll learn more about form from watching videos on YouTube by the same individuals I just mentioned.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Most gym trainers are crap. I've said it time and time again, garbage. You really need to try and find out a trainer's credentials and experience. Many "trainer" programs are only a couple hundred dollars and you get a certificate to be a trainer. There are only a couple that are really worth it. Most experienced lifters you find in the gym probably have a better clue than most trainer.

You'll learn far more reading books from reputable trainers like Mark Rippletoe, Joe DeFranco, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, etc. You'll learn more about form from watching videos on YouTube by the same individuals I just mentioned.

I will google them tonite. Thx for the info.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    What gym is that? I'll hire him and actually pay the $40 a session fee

So you'd waste money on a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about?

There is no reason why he had her doing only light weight high reps and cardio. She asked for compound lifts and he not only refused by made a sexist comment that those weren't lifts for women.
    It's my preference, and you have yours. TYVM Ma'am

your preference is for trainers who dont listen to their clients desires? weird!
    No my preference is a trainer who doesn't do heavy lifting.

And yeah I'm trolling boo ****ing hoo
    /end sarcasm
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Why would you pay for a PT when you already know what to do?
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    OMG what a moron..... I powerlifted from 17 -24 then did more main steam bodybullding.. I am now 48 and 18 % bodyfat that heavy lifting in my youth saved my butt..I hope you reprted him for his lack of knowledge.. Good luck to you , everything always gets better.:bigsmile:
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Your trainer should definitely listen to your goals and desire to lift heavy!! Good job for standing up for yourself! :) Now time to find a new person to get your lift on!

This.

During my first session with my current personal trainer, we spend most of the time just discussing my goals (not his: MINE. But he did provide great input). I told him I'd do cardio on my own and he simply gave me suggestions on frequency/heart rate/type. As for our sessions, I explained I wanted to use more free weights than machines and we then set a schedule (what muscle group we would do on what days) and we started. He made sure for the first few sessions that he explained the link between the exercises we did and my goals.

I've been seeing him 3 times a week (30min/session) for 4 months now and we regularly track progress towards my goals (we've even added a few "mini" goals).

A good trainer is one who provides his knowledge and experience for you to reach YOUR goals...and makes you sweat and pushes you more than you ever thought you could handle!

There are some good ones out there...don't let this experience change your mind to work with a trainer.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    There isn't much that infuriates me more than morons pushing straight up lies! Unless you are doing roids, girls cannot bulk up. It isn't freaking possible. Recently on mfp there's been some stories about some cheerleader who added 4 inches of muscle on her biceps naturally... I call bs! Not possible. Be lucky if you got 2". She was lean too. ( you may look bulky if your BF% is high, but once the fat is gone...). grr.

Anyway, you can progress really really quickly following the stronglifts 5 x 5 program. All compound moves, no silly muscle group days or any of that crap (isolations are for after you have a foundation and if you haven't lifted in a while you have to rebuild that foundation)

That being said come here! [link]http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women[/link] join us, we talk among ourselves and nobody feels completely outclassed like women often do when hanging in the stronglifts forums with men. We just can't do as much as they can, nor as quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer. Find a female trainer that has similar goals. I think male trainers for the most part are going to go easy on you, or they are going to try to shape you into what he thinks is the ideal body for a woman. I had a female trainer once and she was AMAZING!!!! She pushed me, and we did a lot of weight lifting - the kind you are talking about wanting!! I never bulked up.... I only got strong and toned and lost weight.

Not all male trainers would have this attitude.... I shouldn't stereotype. I did work with a dude a couple of times when my trainer was out and he was really good. Still prefer the girls though.
    Thank you. I treat my female clients just as "hard" as I do the male clients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options

Have to agree with you. I am dismayed about how the fitness industry today is so focused on "core" training and the insistent use of stability balls, Bosu, plyoball, and the use of other "gimmicky" products. I just obtained a client from another trainer who moved on and she worked exclusively on "functional" training to improve her strength. When I first trained her and put 30lb dumbells in her hands to do chest press, she mentioned that she only used 12lbs each time on the stability ball. Fast forward now to 3 weeks later and she's hoisting those 30lbs dumbells and LOVING the "old school" type of training compared to functional training she was doing. And the bonus...............she's lost 6 pounds since she's started with me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How old is your personal trainer?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I would get my money back for that garbage.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer currently is kind of like that... He once told me that most females he trains only want to do machines, and thats why we were doing mainly machines.

I looked him and went Um no.. I want to do free weights Thank you. Ever since then, he's been a peach and we started barbell lifting and doing more body weight routines... I'm also friends with his boss, so I'm sure that helps too!
  • dad106
    Options

There is no reason why he had her doing only light weight high reps and cardio. She asked for compound lifts and he not only refused by made a sexist comment that those weren't lifts for women.

your preference is for trainers who dont listen to their clients desires? weird!

/end sarcasm

Her preference from other posts is to have a trainer that doesn't yell at her or make her do anything she doesn't want to. Sometimes it sounds like she doesn't really want a trainer at all.. so I'm super confused as to why she'd actually like this one.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had one at goodlife. I was struggling with my cardio and explosiveness so I asked to work on those specific things. I paid 300$ for 6 half hour session of the same fit fix routine I could have done on my own. I got to use the grey machines instead of the white ones YAAAAYYY!! (sarcsm). I want to get a personal trainer but I don't want a meat head "I pick thing up and put them down" type nor do I want someone who's just there to collect a paycheck and go through the motions with out giving a rats *kitten* about the clients needs.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Have to agree with you. I am dismayed about how the fitness industry today is so focused on "core" training and the insistent use of stability balls, Bosu, plyoball, and the use of other "gimmicky" products. I just obtained a client from another trainer who moved on and she worked exclusively on "functional" training to improve her strength. When I first trained her and put 30lb dumbells in her hands to do chest press, she mentioned that she only used 12lbs each time on the stability ball. Fast forward now to 3 weeks later and she's hoisting those 30lbs dumbells and LOVING the "old school" type of training compared to functional training she was doing. And the bonus...............she's lost 6 pounds since she's started with me.

IDEA Fitness member

I always feel bad about making my comments about gym trainers cuz I think to myself, "damn I hope Ninerbuff doesn't think I'm including him in that group."
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I have to admit, I was wondering the same......
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Sometimes the motivation is great. Sometimes you need the spotter. If you're newer to the gym/area, sometimes it's just nice to have someone to work out with.
  • dad106
    Options

I've been training for over a year with a PT.. and I pretty much know what to do and could do it on my own.. but I don't.

If I didn't have my PT, I'd prob. only weight train once a week due to my busy schedule..so this allows me to have at least one set weight training session per week plus another on my own.

It also allows me to get new ideas, learn new lifts and have programs laid out for me... Life is a lot easier when you don't have to figure out what to do where, when and how much.. I just pull out a sheet that he gave me and I go.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

/end sarcasm

Sometimes your posts are funny. Apparently not always.