Fractured 2 toes need cardio advice & support

Options
My whole support group seems 2 have vanished (sisterhood of the holy crap i fit into my pants) and now i fractured 2 toes yesterday, cause i slipped on the treadmill instructions falling toes straight on (with flip flops on) into the headboard of the treadmill. if it wasnt so sad i would laugh and say its a sign from god...now my dad a doc says i cant walk on it for a few days cause they are def fractured black and blue and taped together and i may not be able to use it like i did for 4-6 weeks if they are broken....i walk for an hour at least 5-6 days a week. today the first day of cardio i was supposed to do after it happend, i couldnt and i feel so helpless, and yucky and like im gonna gain weight back. (i can do strength but we all know cardio burns the calories) he says i can bike i dont think he understand how to bike since hes only done it three times but i sort of need to put my foot down to peddle (he says cant u peddal with one foot omg) i cant put pressure on the front of the foot it hurts too bad. we have an eliptical im gonna give it a try but i dont know what to do and i need some support and advice please.

xoxo

Tortoise (cause slow and steady i hope to win this race)

thanks for listening i am just so frustrated and feel so helpless

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You can get your heart rate up - swim, hon, swim! Ride the bike (stationary) and use the HEEL of your bad foot, not the toes. Even walking around on crutches is a lot more work than walking around normally.

And flip flops? Treadmill? :noway:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    First off, I am sorry you hurt yourself, injuries suck and they can set you back a bit. But they dont have to stop you all together! You can work on the strength training, and just be building muscle . you will be burning calories still and if you keep your eating within your calories, you will not gain weight. Its only when you stop moving AND start eating above your calories that you gain weight.
    Second, and lastly I guess, you can pedal with one foot, we do it all the time in spin class. And if you can get your foot into a shoe you can use the middle of your foot to do it, and not your toes. There are things you can do, you dont need to feel like you cant move.
    I am talking from experience, I have had more injuries in the last six months then in my whole life, and they havent stopped me one bit, I have just had to adjust to them. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My kids are swimmers, so I'm at the pool a lot! When any of the kids come in with an injury they compensate, one boy needed shoulder surgery and couldnt use his arms for months! so he worked on his underwater work and kicking and he still came third nationally! Kids with foot problems work in their pull, they put a pull buoy (floating foam, or kick board) between their knees and use only their arms! They get really strong and have a great workout. we have one boy that only has one leg and he is sooo much stronger than the other kids in pulling. Well if you like swimming, it's an option, hope it helps. Maybe it will get you thinking creatively what else you can do, Wii boxing, sitting down, or sprnd the time working on your strength. All the best, stick with it, you can use this set back to build other strengths!:happy:
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You can get your heart rate up - swim, hon, swim! Ride the bike (stationary) and use the HEEL of your bad foot, not the toes. Even walking around on crutches is a lot more work than walking around normally.

And flip flops? Treadmill? :noway:

i wasnt on the treadmill in flip flops sat i dont do exercise i was leaving the bathroom after putting sun tan lotion on to relaz outside and the treadmill is right outside the door the instructions must have fallen on the floor (treadmill broke dads fixing it) and as i was leaving i slip on it...no i always wear sneakers to exercise in ALWAYS lol. thanks u made me smile...

have no wear to swim but i do have a stationary bike ill try that and the eliptical but inmy mind its not the same as my walk i know thats crazy i think after 6 months of being in a routine i finally got comfortable with (if u see previous post it was just this week i got my walk to an hour) so i fee like its 3 steps back know wat i mean..
  • pepamint83
    Options
    First off, I am sorry you hurt yourself, injuries suck and they can set you back a bit. But they dont have to stop you all together! You can work on the strength training, and just be building muscle . you will be burning calories still and if you keep your eating within your calories, you will not gain weight. Its only when you stop moving AND start eating above your calories that you gain weight.
    Second, and lastly I guess, you can pedal with one foot, we do it all the time in spin class. And if you can get your foot into a shoe you can use the middle of your foot to do it, and not your toes. There are things you can do, you dont need to feel like you cant move.
    I am talking from experience, I have had more injuries in the last six months then in my whole life, and they havent stopped me one bit, I have just had to adjust to them. You can do this! :flowerforyou:

thank you so much yeah i could barely get the flip flop back on i think im gonna give it a day or two let it heal a bit then try to do soemthing cause right now im basically hobbling around and i dont want to aggrivate it more....wish i could be at a pool nothing i love more that to swim lol. i cant see myself biking outside YET but ill try like i said the stationary and eliptical and keep on my strength i think if i eat like ive been i should be fine but for me the key to my weight loss is exercising and i think thats wat sucks the most and how i did it makes me feel so stupid and annoyed.

missy thank you for being brave and sharing that with me about ur son...like i said luv luv swimming no access to pool right now plus ny is stil a bit chilly for some reason. ill figure this out im so happy u all were hear for support and i feel a bit motivated again i was just so upset so thank you all :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    There are kickboxing and tae bo videos with only punching in it. You can do it sitting on a chair and bounce in your seat to get your abs going until you're well enough to stand and even then, you don't necessarily need to put a lot of weight on your foot to do them.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Also continue to monitor your food intake! Don't let an injury and the ensuing frustration you have make you eat too much or eat the wrong things!! I had to stop exercising around last Christmas for 6 weeks but I continued to stay within my calorie allowance - that way I continued to maintain my goals.

Edit : I just read where you have an elliptical machine too, and I'm sorry, but elliptical can give me a way, WAY better workout than any treadmill ever will, but that's just me. Use your elliptical in the meantime, just be careful not to reinjure yourself.
  • pepamint83
    Options
    i actually havent been using the treadmill since feb cause it broke thats when i took my cardio outdoors. but i will do the eliptical the end of the week right now i need to stay off it completly,

thank you all for ur help and support
  • pepamint83
    Options
    just wanted to give an update to those kind enough to support me...2 weeks later i was able to go around 4 nyc blocks 4 times yesterday slow but i did it...today i went for a half hour bike ride i feel good toe hurts not gonna lie but boy did i miss cardio i miss my hour walks something i never thought i would say but i feel good and will take things slow.

thank you to all:flowerforyou: