40 yrs old. Need help

Options
I feel like ever since I turned forty my body has gone to crap. It is so hard to lose the weight and to stay motivated. Any other 40 yr olds out there struggling???

Replies

• lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    43 here. Yes. But take it one day at a time. Some days are better than others but any day above ground is a good one so make the most of it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in a couple months. Just keep chugging along and soon we'll be putting these young ones to shame with our fabulous fitness! :laugh:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lots of 40 somethings and older women here. I turned 41 a couple of weeks ago.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Ever since I turned 30 (I'm 53 now), I felt like with every "decade" birthday, my metabolism cut in half again. I used to skip lunch and lose 5 pounds. Now I have to work my butt off and watch calories for weeks to see any weight loss. It's not fun, but it's a whole lot easier to keep at it than to let yourself go and gain a lot of weight - then try to lose it! Just keep eating right and exercising. I know it's not quick or easy, but it's the best way to keep it off.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    41 here. Took me a week in Vegas with 4 other fabulous 40yr old females to realize I need to change the way I look. It wasn't just me struggling, they did too (or still were).

Friend me if you want to commiserate! Or if you just want to be mutually supportive ;)
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Btw, that shirt in my picture is a Vegas buy. Was VERY snug in October, and now it just hangs on me :)
  • danag1967
    danag1967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! 44 here. I see you also have triplets?? I have twins. I run for my exercise and sanity. My kids are 14 now, though so my sanity is much more reachable. Even with running, I really have to watch my calories or my weight will creep up. Like they said before me...one day at a time.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think my weight issues started before age 40 but it definitely feels more difficult to lose the weight once in your 40s. I just take one day at a time (it sounds so cliche) and work on eating well and feeling my best. Good luck on your journey.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and I hear you loud and clear sister! I occasionally go in denial but certain body parts remind me I am not 20 anymore. I tend to get more gutsie with exercise and stunts now that I am older. I guess its sort of a bucket list or a mid-life crisis.

I now can do a backwards bow (back bend) something I never dreamed I could do again when I was 35. Thanks to yoga.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and in the best shape of my life, if you want it you can have it! Best of luck to you and I hope you find the motivation to reach your goals......this site is alot of help with alot of good info and testimonials from people.......
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old and I need glasses, sometimes if I laugh or cough we could have a slight problem. I have been excercising at least five days a week. You can do this. Jillian Michaels is trying to kill me this week. lol
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    I turn 40 this month, but it's been a challenge since about 36-37. I won't give up though!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 43. I was struggling before I found this site :-)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi....sounds to me like you are ready for a change like I was. It's time to get your life back. Seems when we are raising our kids, we neglect ourselves in the progess. I know I did!! I decided I was important too. You have triplets? Wow! My youngest just turned 18 recently and finally have reached my before pregnancy weight lol. You can so do this!! Feel free to add me if you like for support:):)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    40....That's nothing. I turned 50 this last Jan!! I have 9 grandkids....and I'm going to hit my goal before june 15 2012!! I will have lost 100 pounds : ) You can do it!!
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Im 40 and am 30 lbs to goal.. If you want it bad enough, you will get it! I feel better now than when i was 20! Age is just a number!
    lost 80 so far =)
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes you are right. I just turned 44. I think the reality is we have to cut out the alcohol and reduce out portion sizes with eating. We have 40+ years of toxins building up in our bodies and need a good clear out!
  • dianegrobertson
    Options
    I am right there with Ya! I just turned 40 too and everything is sticker faster and taking longer to get off. I am looking into some recipes...
  • dianegrobertson
    Options
    @Christine - Very inspiring! How do you do it? What is your secret? High protein or high fiber diet? Morning work outs versus evening work outs?
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    I'm not 40, but i've helped my mom get back on track by helping her with her nutrition and fitness. She loves her carbs so i've helped her switch out the 'white, beige, processed' stuff from her diet to healthier alternatives. She's lost 15+ lbs just from taking those out and she still has her sweets, etc every now and then.