Low Carbers Only

Options
LReneeWalker
LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
My husband is thinking of starting Atkins. I am just interested in success stories from low carb dieters. I dont care to hear others opinions on just eat less blah blah blah. I am not interested in Nay-Sayers. Just Low Carb Success Stories. Thanks!

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Sure you don't want to hear a Low Carb Epic Fail story? I know one...
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It works, but it doesn't stay off if you don't stick to it. He should get his cholesterol checked first, because it can cause cholesterol to raise. As long as his cholesterol is fine, then he should go for it. His energy level is going to be really low for the first couple of weeks (if he is strict about Atkins).

if he is thinking about doing a modified, low carb diet, he should look into the Cave Man Diet or other low carb options that do allow for fruit and nuts and whole grains. this will keep his energy up and probably help him stay on longer.

Most people arent disciplined enough to commit to Atkins long term.

My aunt lost like 80lbs on Atkins but put it all back on when she started eating carbs again. It just depends on his discipline level.
  • LReneeWalker
    Options
    sure....tell me!
  • LReneeWalker
    Options
    Never heard of the Caveman diet...thanks I'll tell him!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the Caveman diet...thanks I'll tell him!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-review-the-caveman-paleo-diet?page=2

Here is a webmd link. I am sure if he talked to a physician about it they would be pretty supportive.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    It's not a personal story, but a man I work with was diagnosed with Diabetes about ten years ago. He went on the Atkins diet and has remained committed to it ever since. He lost 60 lbs, has kept it off and is not on any diabetic meds. He is 100% committed and does not cheat. EVER.

My aunt did Atkins for about six months and lost a tremendous amount of weight, but she did gain it back as soon as she re-introduced carbs into her life.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a modified South Beach program since January and have lost about 36 pounds. This was based on a recommendation from my doctor.

I use a lot of the Atkins protein bars to fill in some of the blanks calorie-wise and really love most of them.

All of that said, here are a couple of approaches I've taken with what I would call a lower carb way.

I do eat fruit but limit it to one serving a day. When I eat fruit, I try to pair it with a serving of protein. South Beach encourages people to eat fruit with a lower carb load, like berries or cantaloupe, vs. things like apples, which are seriously good for you but have a more carbs. (I do avoid pineapple and watermelon, also, but I will "budget" these in when they are in season.)

I do eat pasta dishes as well as potatoes. Again, though, when I eat them, I also eat protein. The only carb I've really, really given up is white rice.

Keep in mind, too, that the "induction" phases can feel really painful, what helped me was a "focus on today" philosophy. There are going to be lots of different opinions you're hit with--people who think Atkins is evil, people who ascribe to the caveman diet, all of that. You really do have to find what works for you as an individual, and for the very long haul. When I realized that I could live a lower carbohydrate lifestyle and be OK with eating the occasional baked potato or sub roll, things got easier.

I tried Atkins a long time ago and loved it, but it wasn't something I could do for real and forever.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    sure....tell me!

Tried the Protein Power Plan almost 10 years ago, lost over 25 lbs in less than 5 months. I thought I had found the answer, but I never could get my maintenance diet in order. It was very hard to not just go overboard, even after a year of following the plan. I never completely stopped craving certain things...
    Long story short, after a year and a half of struggling with low carb eating, I fell off the wagon, gained back the weight plus an extra ten pounds for good measure...
    I joined MFP a year ago in April and have lost almost 40 lbs....very slowly and sensibly. I eat what I like, but don't eat mindlessly, everything goes in the diary. I don't feel deprived or tired, just healthier and six sizes smaller! This site has put me in control of my own lifestyle.
    There is no quick fix for the rest of your life!
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I did a Ketogenic diet (practically no carb) last year and lost 15lbs. Bathroom scale broke and I didn't weigh myself again until about a month ago. Exact same weight as when I ended the diet last year. So no, you don't always gain the weight back.

Granted, I lift weights regularly. But for the most part, this last year I did not watch anything that I ate and kept the weight off. To each his own, I guess.
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I went on the atkins when I was 15 and went from 230 to 150. I decided that the atkins was not a good lifestyle just a good way to lose weight fast so I then went on the Fat Smash and that was a pretty good diet to learn portions on. I I did gain weight back but its NOT bc i went on a huge binge on carbs and gained it all back. I just got comfortable with my husband and I gained about 30-40 lbs. Then I found MFP and really learned what portions were and how many calories I should be taking in, but i will Always swear by the low carb diets bc it helped me drastically!
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i have had low carb success -- been doing it since Nov 1 and have lost 77 pounds in six months

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg
  • LReneeWalker
    Options
    LOL Kathy I know your success... I always think you put the anti low carbers in their place!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi there..I am low carbing for now..not atkins , south beach or any other fad diet..but my own modification.
    I did reference the diets above for ideas on how to modify my own. After playing with the Carb numbers..I found that I could lose about 2 lbs or more weeking by keeping my Carb intake under 80.
    Some days I don't even hit the 80..others I may go over by 10 or 20..

I eliminated the processed foods, sugars, white stuff (flour, pasta, potatoes, rice) and increased protein, veggies and fresh fruit.
    Good luck to your husband!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Started a lower carb diet in January around 40-50 carbs a day, used it for a month or so to kick things off, then as I added in more and more exercise, I added in carbs to support that additional exercise. I'm down almost 40 lbs since the middle of January.

Im now averaging around 100-120 carbs a day on an 1800 - 2000 cal diet which means I eat a pretty normal diet but exclude most bread, rice, and potatoes. Thats not really 'low carb' but I think its a reasonable balance between feeling satisfied and getting the exercise energy you need. I believe this is maintainable long-term, but ask me again in a year!

Track your potassium if you do this... and make sure you take a good well rounded vitamin.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    LOL Kathy I know your success... I always think you put the anti low carbers in their place!

yes and i can guarantee i will gain it back if i go back to eating the way i use to -- just as anyone counting calories will gain it back once they stop counting and start eating crap again. that goes for any diet -- however you lose it.
  • tawnabanana
    tawnabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We follow the Primal Blueprint which has some similiarities to Paleo. We don't eat grains, but there are no restrictions on vegetables and fruit. The first month was hard to follow as we didn't know how to eat without pasta and bread, but now it's really pretty simple. We did suffer in the first couple of weeks with the "carb" flu, but once that passed it was all great. More energy and we don't have stomach issues such as bloating and gas that we see instantly if we splurge on grain laden foods. Also, I don't have to exercise as hard or as long to achieve the same results. It has definitely been something that is sustainable for our family, but I think it would be hard to keep up with if you were the only one in your family that was following it. Check out marksdailyapple.com for more information and for some amazing success stories. Good Luck!
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here's a fail story. I did Atkins back in 2003 to lose weight for my wedding. I lost about 50 pounds and I felt great. After the wedding I went back to eating like I used to and not only gained it all back but added a ton more on top of it. In fact, I ended up weighing 73 pounds heavier than my starting weight (so gained 123 pounds). I gained back the 58 lbs within about a year and half. And then it just kept coming.

I didn't exercise though when I was losing and I was in complete denial when the weight started to return.
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love the somersize diet. I lost a lot of weight @ 70 pounds and it's a much less strict low Carb diet but you can have fruits and vegetables. It's more of when to eat but also eliminate "funky " foods. It's by Susanne somers. I love it but I missed eating whatever I wanted. I gained the weight back but stayed on it while pregnant and didn't gain hardly any weight. Good luck ...low Carb is fantastic if you have a great will to do it.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    HI! Keto here! see below VVVVVVV
  • ethelapple
    ethelapple Posts: 79
    Options
    I am following the primal/caveman type diet..so far, so good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!