Are there carbs in gin?

Reason I'm asking is: the nutritional info I found online for Bombay Sapphire gin has a calorie count and sodium count, but nothing else! So, is gin "carb-less", or is somebody out there hiding the truth?? Any knowledge you have or research you can point me to would be much appreciated! Thanks!

(I'm on a "30% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat" diet right now...I've got the calories for drinking, but I'm not going to have even a glass if the carbs count is too high!)

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    alcohol is actually a macronutrient... 7 calories per gram and the body looks at it as a poisin so before burning anything else it has to metabolize the alcohol first which is why you get drunk... technically if you follow strict macros there is no room for alcohol to fit in, otherwise if u want to count the calories you have to count them into carbs because the body needs a minimum amount of protein and fats for retaining muscle.

the less alcohol the better.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Yes, alcohols are made from yeast poop.

This is sugar, basically.

All alcohol has carbs.

Also, while yes they all tend to have a clear carb rating per serving, understand what alcohol does to your metabolism/protein synthesis etc.

PS drink whiskey, gin is for women and hipsters.
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Yes, alcohols are made from yeast poop.

This is sugar, basically.

All alcohol has carbs.

Also, while yes they all tend to have a clear carb rating per serving, understand what alcohol does to your metabolism/protein synthesis etc.

PS drink whiskey, gin is for women and hipsters.

Lol! My thoughts (regarding carb content) exactly! Nice to hear a confirmation. As for your opinion: dismissed-on-sight! My manhood doesn't depend on the alcohol I drink. :drinker:
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    alcohol is actually a macronutrient... 7 calories per gram and the body looks at it as a poisin so before burning anything else it has to metabolize the alcohol first which is why you get drunk... technically if you follow strict macros there is no room for alcohol to fit in, otherwise if u want to count the calories you have to count them into carbs because the body needs a minimum amount of protein and fats for retaining muscle.

Awesome response. And of course, I agree with the last statement whole-heartedly. I'll never cut out alcohol completely, but I certainly keep it in check! Again, thanks for the info!
  • James Bond should shoot you for your assertions, Chris. Or do you not realize that real martinis are gin? Churchill would have something to say, too.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    I just googled Sapphire Gin and read that it does not have any carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Moderate alcohol actually has some positive health benefits, including improving insulin sensitivity and raising HDL cholesterol. Nothing wrong with having one drink a day.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Now a want a gin and diet tonic with extra lime.......too bad it's only Wednesday. :drinker:
  • Also, I'm not sure the exact chemistry......but many hard-alcohols don't have any carbs because they aren't a direct byproduct of fermentation, like wine/beer. Distilled spirits are essentially all the same until after the condensing phase (except gin is distilled with the botanicals if it isn't cheap s***).

Chemist weigh in, please?
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    I really need to know the answer to this question.

(Summer gin and tonics on the porch is right around the corner...)
  • Hard liquors do not have any carbohydrates in them. They have alcohol. Alcohol =/= carbohydrates. Completely different macronutrients. What you mix it with may have carbs or not *cough* the tonic does *cough*.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Hard liquors do not have any carbohydrates in them. They have alcohol. Alcohol =/= carbohydrates. Completely different macronutrients. What you mix it with may have carbs or not *cough* the tonic does *cough*.

Wow, it sure does! What the heck is in there? Am I going to have to start swigging gin from the bottle instead?
  • I'm pretty sure diet tonic water exists. You could just mix it with seltzer, but that's really not the same. Or any number of diet sodas, really.
  • Diet tonic water does exist. Canada Dry makes one and there are NO carbs in it. Sounds like Gin and tonic will be my new favorite!
  • Canada Dry Diet tonic water has NO carbs.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member

(I'm on a "30% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat" diet right now...

=90% ....... where's the other 10%?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member

(I'm on a "30% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat" diet right now...

=90% ....... where's the other 10%?

Clearly the other 10% is for alcohol and unicorn farts. Duh.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member

Poisin is scary stuff.