Fell off the wagon

Options
plm209
plm209 Posts: 222 Member
Well its official, last week I feel off the wagon and I fell hard. I went on a cruise and didn't watch what I ate. Upon returning home I just said "ef" it and kept eating saying I'll get back on track Monday (today). BIG MISTAKE. Got on the scale this morning and it said 214 lbs :cry: . I was down to 205 before leaving for my cruise. I find it hard to believe that I gained 9 lbs over a week and I assume alot of it is water weight from eating high sodium foods, but still, I'm pretty upset. Someone tell me that I'll be ok and the weight will come off quickly! :sad:

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Well its official, last week I feel off the wagon and I fell hard. I went on a cruise and didn't watch what I ate. Upon returning home I just said "ef" it and kept eating saying I'll get back on track Monday (today). BIG MISTAKE. Got on the scale this morning and it said 214 lbs :cry: . I was down to 205 before leaving for my cruise. I find it hard to believe that I gained 9 lbs over a week and I assume alot of it is water weight from eating high sodium foods, but still, I'm pretty upset. Someone tell me that I'll be ok and the weight will come off quickly! :sad:

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I did the same thing, went on a cruise in 1999 and gained a TON of weight! :noway: LOTS AND LOTS of drinks, and LOTS AND LOTS of food, and NO exercise did it! I didn't know about MFP way back then, but thank goodness I DO now! If I EVER go on another cruise, I will certainly do it differently, that's for sure! :blushing:
    Your weight WILL come off, thanks to MFP! You KNOW what to do, get right back on track and it WILL go! :smile:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about trying to lose it quickly....trying to lose too fast can be something that leads to "falling off the wagon" because we feel like it's too much of a diet...not a change we are trying to make for the rest of our lives. Just go back to what you were doing. Odds are, you will lose a good amount of it in a short amount of time just doing that. And the rest will come of when it's supposed to.

I hear cruises are really tough to enjoy and not overindulge. I don't know anyone who's gone on one and not gained at least 5 pounds. I've not been on a cruise, but I tend to dive off the wagon whenever I'm on vacation, so I feel your pain. So just enjoy the memories and start back on your plan today. You're fine! And I hope you had a fantastic time. I'd like to know where you went!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can do it! :bigsmile: I can't tell you it will come off quickly, but you've come a good ways so far and you owe it to yourself to continue on the path you've started. We all have our moments of indiscretion. No worries. Shake it off, get some great cardio exercises in, and remember to take it day by day, meal by meal. :drinker:

We're all here to offer some support. I'm right there with you on needing to get back on track. I'm starting (again) today - even though I'll be spending 4 days with my extended family for the 4th of July holiday weekend. (Did I mention that my Aunt makes the BEST homemade Pecan pie EVER? And my youngest cousin just turned 21? Yeah, talk about moments of indiscretion! :laugh: OH well! Looks like I'll just have to get up for a morning swim each day!)

Continue to take care of yourself - you certainly DESERVE it! :flowerforyou: Best of luck!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Get back on the wagon, drink a lot of water, and those pounds you put on will slide off fairly quickly. Perhaps. And if not, well, you know you've lost them once before, do it again, and keep going!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Some of it probably is water weight and that part will come off quickly. Usually for me in less than a week.

I love cruising! It really isn't as hard as some say to keep control on eating. Yes there is food available 24/7 but that does not mean you have to eat it. Plus there are so many opportunities for exercise. I don't even use the onboard gyms. Walking around the ship, taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Walking in ports. Doing active excursions. I've heard of people losing weight while on a cruise because they are more active than at home.

For me the key is to always get back on track the day after I get home. I do this with any vacation or like this weekend I visited my mom. Had a horrible time of snacking at night. But this morning all is back to normal. Exercise, eating right.

I hope that your cruise was wonderful and you have alot of good memories from it. Don't let a few pounds take that away. Just get back onto that wagon!
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! For those who were wondering I went to Bermuda on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. Gale force winds and rain 3/5 days (45-50 knot gusts) made the sailing a tad rough but no seasickness for myself or anyone in my family (although my dad walked like he was drunk 90% of the time :drinker: ). Still had a blast, ship was tons of fun and the food was awesome. Would definately go agin.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! For those who were wondering I went to Bermuda on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. Gale force winds and rain 3/5 days (45-50 knot gusts) made the sailing a tad rough but no seasickness for myself or anyone in my family (although my dad walked like he was drunk 90% of the time :drinker: ). Still had a blast, ship was tons of fun and the food was awesome. Would definately go agin.

I'm so glad you had a good time! I've have not been to Bermuda yet. Those rough sea days, UUGGHHH! I take Bonine the whole while I'm on the ship and to fly.
    I don't have one booked now but we've been looking at one for Jan. '10. We love it, the best vacations ever!