Obsession with starvation mode...

Options
I have read all the numerous posts about being under nett cals, being under BMI etc etc

I feel very differently about this.

If I eat 1300 calories a day (5'4. 150lb) and then track some exercise (lets say 500 cals), I am NETTING below my net goal and my BMR, If my BMR is 1300.

BUT - BMR isn't to do with NET carories at all. In a day, assuming the calories were nutritious ones, I have eaten my BMR calories, providing my body with the nutrients it needs. This is the key point I think people are missng.

Let me explain. If I STARVED my body to say 800 cals a day without exercise, I am unlikely taking in the nutients required by my body. This would result in starvation mode.

If i EAT 1300 cals and my BMR is 1300 cals then my body is getting its nutirents and energy. If I then burn 500 cals in cardio then my body will resource energy from my stores i.e. fat. My body will not starve... I am overweight like most people on this site, of course I won't starve, my body will use its energy reserves e.g. fat

TO MAKE MY POINT I'D LIKE TO SHOW YOU THAT IF YOU 'LOG' THE DAY AT UNDER GOAL CALORIES, MFP WILL TELL YOU YOU ARE IN STARVATION MODE. THIS IS TRUE BECAUSE YOU TRULY AREN'T GETTING ENOUGH NUTRIENTS TO FUEL YOUR BODY.
IF YOU EAT YOUR GOAL, THEN LOG EXERCISE CALORIES, MFP DOESN'T TELL YOU ARE IN STARVATION MODE, EVEN IF YOU MIGHT BE AT 600 NET

This is because you already ate your BMR in nutrition (hopefully!). Whatever you burn off is from body reserves which us overweight people have plenty of!

We all got overweight by eating too much. It makes me laugh so much when people are now saying they are struggling to eat their calories due to exercise etc We didn't have a problem eating them not so long ago but now we have a problem reaching them?

To summarise, BMR requirements are GROSS not NET.

Replies

• Jp83
    Jp83 Posts: 11
    Options
    no one wants to reply? Is it because I questioned people making any excuse (even under MFP) to still eat loads?( Eat your exercise calories back.... make sure you net your BMI.... help! I don't know how to eat to my net target). OF COURSE YOU DO IF YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT! It was 't long ago since you ate to excess to gain those pounds.This is just making excuses to keep on eating more which we all know got us to where we are?!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That makes perfect sense and I lose weight when I follow that rule. I gain weight when I eat my exercise calories.

Thank you!
  • Jp83
    Options
    Thanks for replying! The principle I follow is as long as I gross my BMR I am feeding my body. Excess energy above BMR comes from our reserves which we are trying to lose. I would never recomend to gross under your BMR because your body won't get the nutrients it needs. Netting under it is a completely different thing though.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I quite frequently eat around my 1200 (I will admit some days I'm 100 cals or so under) and I exercise around 300 - 600 calories 6 days per week so some days I end up at around 600 NET. The amount of tsk tsk I get from friends on here and comments about not eating drives me insane!!!

Thank you for being a voice of reason.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have read all the numerous posts about being under nett cals, being under BMI etc etc

If I eat 1300 calories a day (5'4. 150lb) and then track some exercise (lets say 500 cals), I am NETTING below my net goal and my BMR, If my BMR is 1300.

BUT - BMR isn't to do with NET carories at all. In a day, assuming the calories were nutritious ones, I have eaten my BMR calories, providing my body with the nutrients it needs. This is the key point I think people are missng.

Let me explain. If I STARVED my body to say 800 cals a day without exercise, I am unlikely taking in the nutients required by my body. This would result in starvation mode.

If i EAT 1300 cals and my BMR is 1300 cals then my body is getting its nutirents and energy. If I then burn 500 cals in cardio then my body will resource energy from my stores i.e. fat. My body will not starve... I am overweight like most people on this site, of course I won't starve, my body will use its energy reserves e.g. fat

TO MAKE MY POINT I'D LIKE TO SHOW YOU THAT IF YOU 'LOG' THE DAY AT UNDER GOAL CALORIES, MFP WILL TELL YOU YOU ARE IN STARVATION MODE. THIS IS TRUE BECAUSE YOU TRULY AREN'T GETTING ENOUGH NUTRIENTS TO FUEL YOUR BODY.
    IF YOU EAT YOUR GOAL, THEN LOG EXERCISE CALORIES, MFP DOESN'T TELL YOU ARE IN STARVATION MODE, EVEN IF YOU MIGHT BE AT 600 NET

This is because you already ate your BMR in nutrition (hopefully!). Whatever you burn off is from body reserves which us overweight people have plenty of!

We all got overweight by eating too much. It makes me laugh so much when people are now saying they are struggling to eat their calories due to exercise etc We didn't have a problem eating them not so long ago but now we have a problem reaching them?

You are mistaken.

However, you've already read everything on here so I won't bore you. Good luck with your plan.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Never mind!
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think the key is finding what works best for you. For me, if I don't eat at least some of those calories, my weight loss stops. I have been averaging 2-3 pounds lost a week while eating my calories back, where as when I didn't, I hardly lost any weight. My point is...that is what works for me, but it may not work for you.

Let's be honest, most of us are on here because we have had issues with our weight. I really doubt any of us are in a position to tell someone else that what they are doing is wrong, especially when it works for them.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is can you eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life? I think you should eat your TDEE minus 10-20%(if you are trying to lose) and be realistic about your actitvity level when calculating your tdee and not eat back excercise calories. If you are eating your bmr then you should definately be eating back your excercise calories. I just find it easier to eat my tdee and not eat back excercise calories...but I have been at goal for 2+ years so what would I know.:wink:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Let me explain. If I STARVED my body to saiy 800 cals a day without exercise, I am unlikely taking in the nutients required by my body. This would result in starvation mode.

You are mistaken.

However, you've already read everything on here so I won't bore you. Good luck with your plan.
    You have everything figured out and when we say to eat more we just want you to be unsuccessful. So ^^^ what she said
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I also have not found "starvation mode" to work quite like internet rumor and this website purport. I don't lose weight when I eat more. So I don't follow that advice.

I'm not going to argue that it works for some people. Whatever works...I just wish people would stop being so smarmy and smug and sanctimonious (love alliteration) when others say that lower calories works better for them.

Obviously once you are at your goal weight you eat at a maintenance level that is higher than your weight loss level of calories. Why would you have to live your life under 1200 calories? I certainly didn't gain weight from eating sensibly on maintenance level and working out. I gained weight because I am 100% sedentary and never work out and have been eating A TON of high-carb, high-sugar, junk food. It really isn't rocket science.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My BMR is not 1300. But I don't even want to eat 500 below my BMR. No thanks...
  • modernmom70
    Options
    I also have not found "starvation mode" to work quite like internet rumor and this website purport. I don't lose weight when I eat more. So I don't follow that advice.

I'm not going to argue that it works for some people. Whatever works...I just wish people would stop being so smarmy and smug and sanctimonious (love alliteration) when others say that lower calories works better for them.

Obviously once you are at your goal weight you eat at a maintenance level that is higher than your weight loss level of calories. Why would you have to live your life under 1200 calories? I certainly didn't gain weight from eating sensibly on maintenance level and working out. I gained weight because I am 100% sedentary and never work out and have been eating A TON of high-carb, high-sugar, junk food. It really isn't rocket science.

Because 1200 calories and not eating back your excercise is an extreme diet and extreme diets don't work in the long term was my point all that happens is that you gain it back...I know this from years of dieting and the weight always came back once the diet ended. Slow and steady wins the race. You need to eat the way you will be for the rest of your life so that you can maintain it for the rest of your life. :smile:

edited to add that as you lose weight your calorie requirement decreases.
  • Jp83
    Options
    In response, I am saying:

Your body needs a recommended number of calories for basic metabolic functions (BMR)
    Say this amount is 1300.
    You eat 1300 calories of nutirent rich food
    You meet your bodies daily requirement, you will not stave, your body got its quota of nutrients for the day - its quite happy!

IRRELEVANT of exercise burn you still fuelled your body with the nutrients it needed.

For energy for the exercise calories your body converts adapose cells to carbs for fuel to provide energy for your exercise. The old fashioned way of exerciing for weight loss.
  • Gergal73
    Gergal73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my Endocrinologist and Nutritionist about this on April 6th. I meet with them every 3 months. I send in my food log to them twice a week for analysis. The simple answer they gave me is in order to lose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume. They explained to me that eating back the calories you burned off during exercise makes the burn off moot... I started just eating the calories my Nutritionist set up for me and not eating back the exercise calories and the weight began coming off after a long plateau.

Basically, I believe that everyone is different. Some of us can't get the weight off by eating back the calories we burn off, others can. Nobody loses weight in the same manner. For some of us it takes a long time while others are able to lose quickly. Learn what's best for your body and stick with it!

Cheers and much success to all! :smile:
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Because 1200 calories and not eating back your excercise is an extreme diet and extreme diets don't work in the long term was my point all that happens is that you gain it back...I know this from years of dieting and the weight always came back once the diet ended. Slow and steady wins the race. You need to eat the way you will be for the rest of your life so that you can maintain it for the rest of your life. :smile:

For me there is a big difference between a maintenance lifestyle and an irresponsible choices lifestyle. I am not actually overweight, I should add. I am pretty much dead center of my healthy BMI range. But in my adult life, the few times I've been at this weight have been my heaviest and I don't care for it. It happens because I become totally sedentary and stress eat junk during some really difficult extenuating circumstances, not because sensible maintenance eating and lifestyle choices are untenable for me at my preferred weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my Endocrinologist and Nutritionist about this on April 6th. I meet with them every 3 months. I send in my food log to them twice a week for analysis. The simple answer they gave me is in order to lose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume. They explained to me that eating back the calories you burned off during exercise makes the burn off moot... I started just eating the calories my Nutritionist set up for me and not eating back the exercise calories and the weight began coming off after a long plateau.

Basically, I believe that everyone is different. Some of us can't get the weight off by eating back the calories we burn off, others can. Nobody loses weight in the same manner. For some of us it takes a long time while others are able to lose quickly. Learn what's best for your body and stick with it!

Cheers and much success to all! :smile:
    What is your BMR, what is your TDEE and what set number of calories did your doc tell you to eat?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your super slow metabolism and lean muscle loss! :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just think if ANYONE is extremely concerned about their bodies entering "starvation mode" from a particular caloric intake..You should consult your doctor or nutritionist. I'm not sure if this (MFP) is the best resource..I'm just saying..
  • modernmom70
    Options

For me there is a big difference between a maintenance lifestyle and an irresponsible choices lifestyle. I am not actually overweight, I should add. I am pretty much dead center of my healthy BMI range. But in my adult life, the few times I've been at this weight have been my heaviest and I don't care for it. It happens because I become totally sedentary and stress eat junk during some really difficult extenuating circumstances, not because sensible maintenance eating and lifestyle choices are untenable for me at my preferred weight.

So if you stopped eating crap all the time you would be all good! Sometimes that's all it takes! So you are on the right track. The OP maybe not so much! :smile: