Exercises to target love handles

Options
Hello! I have been exercising about 6x a week now for 1.5 months. So far I have lost 8 lbs doing this alone. I started at 200 and I am down to 192 (I actually was at 230 but got down to 200 with just dieting). Anyhow I am using the Myfitnesspal app and it says I should eat about 1500 calories a day. I don't feel starved and 1500 I feel like a good number for how active I was before and how much I wanted to lose (1.5 lbs a week). I am currently doing 30 day shred (on level 3 now) 4x a week, jogging/walking 3-4x a week and doing ab ripper x 3x a week. I am below my pre pregnancy weight (woo hoo) and overall feeling great about my weight loss. My arms look good and my legs are looking great too. However... my stomach. It's still so jiggly. Stupid love handles. Stupid lower belly fat. Anyone have any exercises they can recommend for this area? I have heard good things about insanity, I am thinking about starting that once I am done 30 day shred. I know I know it doesn't happen overnight but tell me what worked for you and your spare tire :D

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Do ab and oblique exercises, be forewarned though, adding those won't make the fat magically disappear. You can not spot reduce fatty areas so it will just build muscle underneath the fat.
  • pebblesbuddy
    pebblesbuddy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So basically you just keep doing your current exercises and eventually the fat will come off? I am trying to not do the same sort of exercise for months on end, I know of course changing it helps with gaining muscle and losing fat. So as long as I keep up with the exercising I will notice the fat gone one day?
  • nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    So basically you just keep doing your current exercises and eventually the fat will come off? I am trying to not do the same sort of exercise for months on end, I know of course changing it helps with gaining muscle and losing fat. So as long as I keep up with the exercising I will notice the fat gone one day?

No, they said you can't spot reduce. To lose the fat, you need to eat in a deficit (which you are doing) and be patient.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

No, they said you can't spot reduce. To lose the fat, you need to eat in a deficit (which you are doing) and be patient.

This. Eat at a calorie deficit and the weight will come off.
  • pebblesbuddy
    pebblesbuddy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ok so ultimately I'm doing the right things by watching my calories, exercising and eating right. Eventually at some point doing these things I will notice the love handles shrinking and going away?
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    work the biggest muscles in your body -- your quads. I'm not kidding. Working those muscles will burn more fat. Working specific muscles does NOT lose the fat in that area, it just burns fat over the whole body, so working the largest muscles will burn the most fat.
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This post isn't a solution, i'm just writing to commiserate. I shed a few pounds recently a found that my lower abdomin is actually sporting a baggier pooch than before. i'm assuming due to the weight loss i have baggy skin in that area. I read that it may never be perfect but with time and continue exercise the extra skin in that area improves. Good luck!