I wanna ruuuuunnn!!!

Options
So...Ive never been a runner.... tried to do a little running here lately, and made my way up to running 17min straight so far (thats HUGE for me). :drinker:

There is a 5k that I want to try to run in by June 2. First off......can I train myself to be ready in a month or is that reaching??? and if it is possible, I would love some input on how to train for one. Help Please!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but started the Couch to 5k program at the end of January. By the end of March, I was running that distance and beyond. Do a search for c25k - there are a lot of sites that have the program, and great apps for smart phones that coach you through the whole process.

Since you've already been running, you could probably start somewhere beyond the first few weeks - check out the program and find what week most closely matches where you're at, and go from there. The whole program is only about 8 weeks, so if you've got a month, that might be just about right!

Good luck!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely doable since you can already run 17 mins straight. I agree, follow C25K. You have a good base. Don't start at the beginning, set the 5K (the finish of the program) to June 2nd and schedule it backwards from there. Good luck!
  • danag1967
    danag1967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program is wonderful. It is a run/walk program that is totally do-able in a month or 2. About 3 years ago, I started in a similar program called No Boundaries through my local Fleet Feet store. It is basically a 10 week Couch to 5k program, but with coaching and lots of support. Since that time, I have run countless 5K's, 10K's, 6 half marathons (my 7th is this coming Saturday) and 1 full marathon. You can do it!! I am not a super skinny girl, I am 44 yrs old and I am not a fast runner. I also run all of my races using the Galloway Run/Walk method. Don't think you have to run the whole time. None of that matters. I love running and I will keep doing it. Look for a local running group to join. Some are very supportive. Good luck and keep in mind that the goal is to finish, not necessary to have a time goal until you get a few races under your belt.
  • eletelephant
    Options
    You should sign up for that 5k!!! There is usually a great energy at them and they help me push towards running goals and keep me moving. Just like the poster above said, don't be afraid to walk some. If you are already at 17 mins of running, you are well on your way to running a 5k. Usually running for too long stresses my body, so the Galloway method is great for me. I'd start alternating with 3 mins running to 2 mins walking and work towards 5 mins running to 1 min walking. Just that little bit of recovery time really helps if you are wanting distance. Couch to 5k is also a great program. Good luck and great work so far! :)
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I started the C25K program at the end of last year and I can now run 5km without stopping....not particularly fast though.... before that I hadn't run in over 30 years (I am 52) and really didn't think I would be able to do it. But what I have found is that after a certain point it becomes much more of a mental exercise ....another poster on MFP told me one day she just decided not to stop and so I did the same thing and the next day i ran 5km and yet I thought it would take me months to get to that point....but now I know I can do it.

Its still not easy and some days I really struggle. Another piece of advice I was given was that running for longer without stopping even going slow is building your endurance while doing intervals of running/walking but pushing your speed up is what builds fitness....I'm certainly no expert so I don't know if this is right or not but i do tend to do 2 long runs a week and then faster intervals another 2 or 3 times...and i also need a rest day most weeks....might just be my old body though!!

Good luck with it!