Smoke Free....

Options
Okay, so I declared that I was quitting smoking after my last 5K approximately 3 weeks ago, I tried to do it cold turkey...BIG mistake!!!! I back slid after 2 days and began smoking more than I was before!!! On Saturday, I went and bought the patch and had my last cigarette(for real this time) at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday. So far, so good, it's been over 24 hours and I feel okay. My true test will definately be work today, as I have a high stress job.....wish me luck and pray for me guys...I know that the benefits of quitting GREATLY out weigh the benefits of smoking and I am doing something fabulous for my body but still need support!

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I declared that I was quitting smoking after my last 5K approximately 3 weeks ago, I tried to do it cold turkey...BIG mistake!!!! I back slid after 2 days and began smoking more than I was before!!! On Saturday, I went and bought the patch and had my last cigarette(for real this time) at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday. So far, so good, it's been over 24 hours and I feel okay. My true test will definately be work today, as I have a high stress job.....wish me luck and pray for me guys...I know that the benefits of quitting GREATLY out weigh the benefits of smoking and I am doing something fabulous for my body but still need support!

I know how hard it is to quit, so good luck with it! :smile:
    I myself tried quitting cold turkey, but, didn't last long either. And then I also did the patch. It even worked for like 2 and a half weeks, but, then, I started smoking again! :grumble:
    What finally worked for me was the prescription drug called Zyban. Worked like a charm! It was expensive, but, so was smoking! Sooooo, if the patch doesn't work for you, maybe you should check out Zyban. Good luck! :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming smoke free! You are doing a good thing for not only your body but those around you! You are going to feel so good when you are passed this.

I've heard of people saving the money and then buying themselves something special. My DH worked with a woman who bought herself a nice gold necklace. She said it was something she would not normally spend the money on. But she wanted a reminder of quitting. Kind of cool because when people asked her about the necklace she could share that she was an ex smoker.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Congrats and GREAT Job ! I was a 2 pack a day smoker and quit 7 years ago. I know it's hard but I ALSO know you CAN do it!!!! Chew some sugerless gum if you can. Try to keep your mind on something besides smoking. Good luck - :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:

:flowerforyou:
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I tried Chantix last year and it worked until I quit taking it because I could no longer afford to pay for it and my insurance did not cover it! I think if I could have taken it for the full amount of time it would have paid off.....I am really determined this time so I am hoping I can stick with it! Thanks for the tip I will look into the Zyban too.
  • LibbyJean
    LibbyJean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No matter what, keep trying! I just celebrated a year of being completely smoke free and did it cold turkey. I tried everything else but "cold turkey" worked for me. I had lots of help though - for instance, it sounds silly but, when you are really wanting a cig, sit down and take 3 long breaths with your eyes closed; keep using positive affirmations like "i'm a non-smoker", "i am no longer interested in hurting myself", "I'm worth it", etc., also make a list of why you quit, i.e., smells horrible, hurting lungs, hate trying to find a place to smoke, costs too much, etc. I also added lots of exercise, eating right and can now go anywhere and do anything without thinking - do I have enough cigarrettes, do i have my lighter, are there going to be other smokers, where can i go, yada, yada, yada. I FEEL FREE! Don't give up - you are worth it!
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It was 4 years this past April that I quit, COLD TURKEY.:noway: My incentive was I wanted a baby. Our son is 3!!!:bigsmile: Good luck to you!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i have been wanting to quit smoking for a while. I cut down to one cig. a day and some drags of my partners cigs but icant seem to actually quit. the patch made us both very sick. i think its not the nicotine but the habit for me. and when my partner lights up next to me it becomes really hard. especially now that we both dont have jobs so we are always home together
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ive seen those smoke free tickers now where did you get it
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked before...so this may not hold much water :tongue: ...but quitting smoking is the single best thing you could ever do for your health. I am so excited when people tell me they are quitting. i work on a stroke unit at a hospital...and well....let's just say, more smokers than non-smokers on that ward.
    I am so happy for you, this will be hard, but hopefully you will get some support from fellow quitters on this site...maybe you can start a group!
    Congratulations! i agree with the previous poster, do something special for yourself when you hit certain milestones.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    A.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    so update on the not smoking....it has been 2 weeks and 1 day since I quit. I will admit that I did have one cig this weekend because I forgot to put on my patch and was weak..:sad: , but that is the one and only one Ive had for those two weeks and after i smoked it, i felt yucky. It did not give me the enjoyable feeling that it used to, which is good! I am now even more motivated to no longer smoke..I have been noticing that I can breathe better, my teeth look whiter, i have more energy and food is starting to taste different. I am sad that I had a small moment of weakness, but proud that I have not let it change my attitude towards quitting. Once I have been completely smoke free for one month, I am taking the money that I have saved and buying the HRM that i have wanted for soooo long! Thanks for all the support guys and I am going to start a group, I think it will def help!