Ketones

Options
I have been consuming very low amounts of carbs for the past two weeks. Does anyone know how long it takes for your body to begin using ketones for energy?

Replies

• lfoster57
    lfoster57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It takes about 48 hours.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    how low do you mean?

If you are Really strict...like under 30 carbs a day... it takes about 48 hours. i'm not sure you can go into ketosis above that number unless you are also exercising really hard.

I use to do the low carb diet. I would lose weight, but always gain it back. I hope it can work for you though.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    A few days. Ketones are just byproducts of fat being burned for energy. You can get test strips if you want to know for sure, but you can usually tell when you're in ketosis.
  • sansouchi1050
    sansouchi1050 Posts: 137
    Options
    I average 20-40 nets carbs per day.
    Usually within 3-4 days of low carbing, I'll be in ketosis. If I exercise maybe 2 days.
    You can buy ketostix at any drug store to test your urine.
    I try to stay at small to moderate level of ketones.
    You can message me, if you have any other questions. A lot of people are nasty on the forums if you talk about low carb, and I try to avoid that.:smile:
  • Ladyiam
    Ladyiam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been consuming less than 50.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said...roughly 48-72 hrs depending on a few things..activity one of them. Buy test strips to check
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been consuming very low amounts of carbs for the past two weeks. Does anyone know how long it takes for your body to begin using ketones for energy?

Any reason you're looking to get into ketosis?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Usually within 3-4 days of low carbing, I'll be in ketosis. If I exercise maybe 2 days.
    You can message me, if you have any other questions. A lot of people are nasty on the forums if you talk about low carb, and I try to avoid that.:smile:

Hey, could you please explain what you mean by net carbs? I try to stay in the range of 40-60grams per day, but what would net carbs be and is important to focus on net?
  • KBGirts
    Options

Any reason you're looking to get into ketosis?

Do you go around looking for low carbers? I see you everywhere trying to convince people they are wrong.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 days -- but sometimes i find that my keto sticks show no keytones but i know i am in ketosis. depends on how active i am, the time of day i test, and my water intake. good luck to you.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

You will burn fat when you reduce carbs. How much and how long depends on your diet. There is no harm in any of it and no reason to be concerned about it. Ketoisis is not a long term solution, but it is not a bad place to be. The same thing happens if you fast for a time. Good luck in your quest.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Hey, could you please explain what you mean by net carbs? I try to stay in the range of 40-60grams per day, but what would net carbs be and is important to focus on net?

Net carbs is carbs minus fiber.
  • sansouchi1050
    sansouchi1050 Posts: 137
    Options

carbs

The way my doctor explained it to me is that you subtract the fiber carbs from your total carb intake. This number equals net carbs. The reason for this, is that you don't get this spike in blood sugar from the fiber because it passes through your system largely undigested.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • Ladyiam
    Options
    Yes. I have been going to the gym 4x each week for 3 months and I believe that I am gaining muscle (which is great!). I recently read an article about ketosis while I was researching ketoacidosis and I felt that it made perfect sense. I am relatively small but I seem to have a lot of fat on me. So I am very interesting in learning more about becoming keto adapted.
  • Ladyiam
    Options
    I need a good kick start and becoming keto adapted makes sense to me. I work out at the gym 4x each week and I take one or two classes a week.