Are there any GOOD gluten free whole grain bread/wraps?

Options
Gluten unfortunately seems to cause IBS symptoms in me and so I've successfully avoided it (for the most part) for a couple of years now. I'm missing the convenience of a wrap or a sandwich at times. Do any of you gluten free mfp'ers have a favorite brand of bread/wrap/english muffin/etc that you like? I'm looking for whole grain as I would rather it have nutrients as well.
Thanks

Replies

• coolclimates
    Options
    I think Udis bread is pretty decent. They also have whole grain breads. I actually don't eat much GF bread because it's so expensive. Sometimes I make my own. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 years ago, by the way.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I make my own. I found the bought kind expensive & tasteless. Would love to find one though.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Rudi's is the only brand I've found with texture like real bread. Love it.
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Van's gluten free waffles as sandwich bread :] They sell them at Publix. Udi's is the best bread but eh.
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use Udi's bread they are good. They have bagels too in Udi's. They are awesomely good. :)
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    and corn tortillas are pretty good if you zap them in the microwave first.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory has a Teff and Millet whole grain wrap that's actually pretty good. You need to zap it for about 30-45 seconds before you try to roll it up but it's great for cheese steaks and sandwich wraps. :)
  • kmbrleykay
    kmbrleykay Posts: 79
    Options
    bump for today. the lady I work for tomorrow has a son with gluten issues and has tried many of the breads, finally found a good one, I will get the name brand tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is a rice bread.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You can make your own pretty cheap and tastes pretty good too, check my blog or the recipe forum for recipes.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Udi's and food for life! :) yum!!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Udi's Millet and Chia, LaTortilla Factory wraps, and if you can get them Sonoma has a good Gluten free wrap, Rudi's has good bagels, and English muffins from a couple of companies are pretty good. Kinnikinick breads are pretty tasty toasted but not a lot of fiber in them. Gluten free here for 12 years. I tend to make something when I really want some bread, I eat very little commercial breads as they tend to have more sodium than I want to expend on a very salt restrictive diet :)
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Udi's bread is good; the bagels don't actually taste like bagels but they're edible. There is also a focaccia mix by Chebe that's really good.

The Trader Joe's brown rice tortillas are awesome. I use them mostly for little (white, margherita) pizzas, or cut them up, toast them in the toaster oven, and dip them in hummus.

I don't really bother with pasta.
  • helpimfalling
    Options
    Rudi's. If the texture isn't to your liking, try toasting the bread. I like it better this way.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried making wraps but have had great success with Pamela's gluten-free bread mix, for both sandwich bread and rolls. If you try it make sure you get the bread mix not the general baking mix - big difference. In my experience Bob's Red Mill bread mixes taste pretty good (I especially like their Hearty Whole Grain gluten-free mix) but they crumble too much when cut into reasonable slices. Heavy on calories too. But they make great rolls. I didn't like any of the store bought options so learned to make my own.

Here's a pic of a Pamela's roll I made, serving up a bison burger for my lunch today -

IMAG0394.jpg
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    I like to use rice paper - buy it in bulk at the asian supermarkets (not frozen but dried). Simply soaks in a bowl of water for a minute then you can put in your choice of filling and roll up like a spring roll. No need to cook. Delicious!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Some great answers here everyone, thanks!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried making wraps but have had great success with Pamela's gluten-free bread mix, for both sandwich bread and rolls. If you try it make sure you get the bread mix not the general baking mix - big difference. In my experience Bob's Red Mill bread mixes taste pretty good (I especially like their Hearty Whole Grain gluten-free mix) but they crumble too much when cut into reasonable slices. Heavy on calories too. But they make great rolls. I didn't like any of the store bought options so learned to make my own.

Here's a pic of a Pamela's roll I made, serving up a bison burger for my lunch today -

IMAG0394.jpg

That looks AMAZING :love: