When to weigh yourself?

Options
Hi everybody!
I have been weighing myself at the end of the day. Yesterday when I weighed myself at around 10 pm, the scale read 173. But my friend told me that you should weigh yourself in the morning before you do anything -- don't use the bathroom, don't shower, don't do anything, and that's your true weight. So I weighed myself as soon as I got up this morning, and the scale read 166. I don't know if this is right or if my scale is out of whack. When do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself wearing your regular clothes, in your underwear, or in the buff?
Thank you!

Replies

• saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning with just jammies and underwear.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Shouldn't really matter when you weigh yourself as long as you weigh yourself at around the same point in time every day. Right when I wake up is generally the easiest, for me. Clearly it would be a bad idea to compare weights on one day in the morning, and the next day immediately after eating a big dinner. Long story short, whenever is easiest for you to do regularly.
  • kingkong247
    kingkong247 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Righ when you wake up in the morning (after doo doo etc.) to get your actual body weight.
  • Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    You are suppose to weigh yourself when you first wake up . Your friend is right , except I like to pee before ! LOL Just so you know you gain a few pounds through out the day after you eat so that's not your true weight . My moms personal trainer told her the only time you should weigh yourself is when you first wake up . But at the same time your body shouldn't fluctuate more than 3-4 pounds within the day . So I think that your scale could be wrong ... Not quiet sure with that one .
  • hooperal
    hooperal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll do that tomorrow and adjust my profile accordingly. :-)
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    But at the same time your body shouldn't fluctuate more than 3-4 pounds within the day .

How do you figure this? If I have a big dinner + a few glasses of water, I could easily weigh 5 or 6 pounds more than I did 30 minutes previously. Easily.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning in my bra and underwear and after i pee!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    I have been weighing myself at the end of the day. Yesterday when I weighed myself at around 10 pm, the scale read 173. But my friend told me that you should weigh yourself in the morning before you do anything -- don't use the bathroom, don't shower, don't do anything, and that's your true weight. So I weighed myself as soon as I got up this morning, and the scale read 166. I don't know if this is right or if my scale is out of whack. When do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself wearing your regular clothes, in your underwear, or in the buff?
    Thank you!

The key is more to be consistent about when & how you weight yourself to be able to track change. Me, weigh in the morning after my shower and after using the bathroom facilities if necessary and only wearing my glasses to read the screen on the scale. Hopefully I'm wearing a smile when I step off the scale!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    def in the morning after the loo, make your coffee tea or whatever then weigh yourself befor you drink it. when you first wake up your a dead weight but after a few mins its the best weight youl get.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    Righ when you wake up in the morning (after doo doo etc.) to get your actual body weight.

^^This.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I've been really random when weighing... I don't think I've lost the 13 pounds that my ticker shows.
  • samanthastewart
    samanthastewart Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yea, definitely in the morning (post poop!) at night you are holding all the food and liquid you consumed. way to go with all the correct advice MFP! :)
  • MedusaPenn
    MedusaPenn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after i use the restroom naked. I find that having clothing on makes you gain un nessacarry weight
  • reiss62
    reiss62 Posts: 2
    Options
    I weigh myself daily soon as I get out of bed and at the end of the week take an average... I have lost 35 kg in 4 months..
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent same time same clothes (or lack of), same place. Most people aim for the morning as it's easier to be consistent.
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. Your lowest weight of the day is normally in the morning, after going to the bathroom (#1 and #2 if possible), and before eating. That's when I like to do my weigh in (naked). I usually weigh myself most mornings but only log my weight once a week (on Mondays).
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself after breakfast, dressed in pants, undies and a shirt, no shoes or sweater or keys in my pocket, not even a lipstick. Last night I couldn't wait till this morning to weigh myself because I had such a good week I wanted to enter my weight on MFP. :)

So I weighed myself last night before bed and entered the weight for this week last night. Okay, patience I'm working on. :/
  • crookback
    crookback Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Get up, start coffee, empty bladder & colon, weigh, drink coffee, shower, breakfast (on rest days) or train then breakfast. The routine is so ingrained I don't even need to wake up.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Morning after a wee, naked... but only when I feel 'fat'
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent same time same clothes (or lack of), same place. Most people aim for the morning as it's easier to be consistent.

Agreed. There will still be some fluctuations, especially we ladies, but the most accurate will be nude in the morning, after the toilet but before the coffee.