MFP doesn't seem to be working

Options
Hello people,

MFP decided that I should have a goal calorie intake of just over 2000. I'm 282lbs right now and 6'7" tall (in the evening, closer to 6'8" in the morning). I'm a teacher, and I think I spend about half of my time sitting down. I decided to plump for the sedentary lifestyle setting on here and simply add all of my exercise by using a pedometer to calculate how many calories I burnt throughout the day.

I have a target weight loss of 2lbs per week. I weighed myself on Saturday morning and I was 282lbs. I weighed myself this morning and I am still 282lbs. Although slightly heartbroken by the scales revealing my efforts bearing no fruit, I have decided to stick to MFP for the time being.

I have been careful to record all of the food I eat and at a 2000 calorie target I can eat rather a lot. I'm concerned that perhaps the 2000 calorie target is too high though. I'm also concerned that many people I've spoken to told me how they lost a lot of weight initially, and the weight loss slowed down dramatically after the first couple of weeks to a steady 2lbs per week; my weight loss started at 2lbs per week and I'm concerned that it may slow down dramaticaly to a steady 0lbs per week from now.

Could any of you kind people please help me with my concerns? Based on what I've said, do you think I'm using MFP correctly/effectively?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Saturday to today isn't even a full week. Give it time... Don't worry about everyone else - some people lose big in the beginning and taper off, others lose steadily all along w/out the big numbers. I use the FitBit instead of a pedometer so it does the syncing and all the mathy stuff for me - because I can't figure out on my own what MFP already has calculated for calories I burn just by living and what extra I earned by walking during the day.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. How long have you been using MFP? It sounds to me as though you are using it correctly. What you are doing is what I have done. I started trying to lose weight and get fitter at 229lbs last June and have lost around 50lbs this way. It sometimes takes your body a while to realise it can get rid of the extra weight so be patient. If you still think what you are doing is making no difference after a couple more weeks you might want to try mixing things up a bit. Do you eat back your exercise calories? If you don't , I would try eating back at least a proportion of them. The other thing you can do is look at your diet. There are different ways of taking in 200 calls. I have tried giving up sugar in my hot drinks, I try not to add sugar to food and try to eat less cakes, biscuits, bread , chocolate and more proteins like turkey/chicken/tuna and fruit and veg. The other thing you could try is upping your exercise a little. I am no expert, (so please don't shoot me down people) but have had real success with MFP. I hope some of this advice helps. Good luck!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I think that your total MFP has set is correct, seeing as you are so tall! I would be tempted to go to www.fittofatradio.com and see what your BMR is.

Are you weighing your food? I found that when I first started I was overestimating my portions.

Lets see what others say, hopefully you can find an answer.
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying.
    I use the FitBit instead of a pedometer
    Unfortunately that is a bit expensive for me on my salary, so I have to make do with a free pedometer app for my phone. It calculates the calories burnt from walking, which I simply add to the cardio exercise section of MFP. For the last few days it has given me a figure of about 350calories, which increases my calorie intake limit to about 2350; marginly less than the 2500 calorie RDA for males. This is why I'm concerned though. I know I am tall and so will require a bit more energy to function, but I'm concerned MFP has over-estimated my metabolism.

Anyway, thank you for your advice about different people responding differently to diets. That does put my mind at rest.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have weeks where I lose nothing and other's I lose more than 2lbs. It's been less than a week since you last weighed yourself so I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.

Stick with it, log like your life depends on it and factor in as much exercise as you are able to do and things should get moving. If, after a few more weeks nothing has changed, I would have another look at the numbers.

Good luck!
  • creative1981
    Options
    Thank you for replying.
    I use the FitBit instead of a pedometer
    Unfortunately that is a bit expensive for me on my salary, so I have to make do with a free pedometer app for my phone. It calculates the calories burnt from walking, which I simply add to the cardio exercise section of MFP. For the last few days it has given me a figure of about 350calories, which increases my calorie intake limit to about 2350; marginly less than the 2500 calorie RDA for males.

Do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    When did you start using MFP? It seems like you're already comparing results after having joined only for a few days? Get rid of the scales, or at least only pull them out once per week (fortnightly is much better - and monthly is even better again) and MEASURE yourself - biceps, chest, waist, hips, thigh - and compare scales every week and measurements every 8 weeks.

I know you seem to be a big guy with some weight to lose, but it's not necessarily about losing it as quickly as possible, it's a "lifestyle change" and the healthy way is to lose 0.5 - 1 kg per week (as per my doctor's recommendations). MFP is only a recommendation, so change it around manually if you will and see if that changes anything. I started on 1200 calories in January but I am female, 5'5 - however I am a teacher as well.

I read a saying the other day that I think may change your view as it did mine:

"You won’t undo three decades of bad choices in three weeks. Be realistic." -- very true.

Do your best, make good choices, feed your body the fuel it requires, exercise where you can, even if you start at 30 mins 3 days per week. Choose interval training activities (high intensity for 1 minute & then walk for 1 minute - change it up daily or whenever you go, keep your body guessing) and do strength training. Don't give up!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that perhaps the 2000 calorie target is too high though.

Quick, while you can remember what you used to eat on a daily basis, pick a day in the past and try to record all the normal stuff you would eat on several days.

Now - does 2000 sound like a lot of calories?
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Hello :)
    Hi. How long have you been using MFP?
    For about a month now, more than four weeks at least.
    It sounds to me as though you are using it correctly. What you are doing is what I have done. I started trying to lose weight and get fitter at 229lbs last June and have lost around 50lbs this way. It sometimes takes your body a while to realise it can get rid of the extra weight so be patient.
    Thank you for the advice, that is reassuring! :)
    If you still think what you are doing is making no difference after a couple more weeks you might want to try mixing things up a bit. Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    I tend to try to finish the day as close to zero excess calories as I can. I usually try to hold back a couple of hundred in the evening for a cheeky biscuit.
    The other thing you can do is look at your diet. There are different ways of taking in 200 calls. I have tried giving up sugar in my hot drinks, I try not to add sugar to food and try to eat less cakes, biscuits, bread , chocolate and more proteins like turkey/chicken/tuna and fruit and veg.
    Yes. My wife had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago so we tend to eat quite healthily anyway. I used to enjoy cakes, particularly cream cakes. I've cut them out of my diet completely. I don't drink alcohol nor sugary drinks, so I cannot cut them out.
    The other thing you could try is upping your exercise a little.
    That makes sense. I do have the capacity to exercise, but I am far too lazy.
    I hope some of this advice helps. Good luck!
    Yes, you have been very helpful. Thank you.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Hello :)
    I would be tempted to go to www.fittofatradio.com and see what your BMR is.
    Oooh, I may do just that, thank you.
    Are you weighing your food?
    I weight my breakfast cereal and measure my milk, but beyond that I don't really have time at lunch and tend to have to estimate. As a rule of thumb I usually overestimate my portion sizes when entering them into MFP to take into account my habitual over-eating.
    hopefully you can find an answer.
    Well, so far so good :) Thank you for your help
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Stick with it, log like your life depends on it and factor in as much exercise as you are able to do and things should get moving. If, after a few more weeks nothing has changed, I would have another look at the numbers.
    Right, will do. Thank you.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories back?
    I do. I try to get my remaining calories as close to zero as I can each day.
  • creative1981
    Options
    I use the MapMyWalk app on my phone to work out how fast and far I have walked but the cals on there are always quite a bit off. It also tells me I'm walking 9mph sometimes :noway: So they are not perfect. I would under estimate your exercise cals if it's coming from an app or instead of a FitBit you could get yourself a heart rate monitor. I picked mine up in Lloyds Pharmacy for £12 and it works fine.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    When did you start using MFP? It seems like you're already comparing results after having joined only for a few days?
    Yes, I started about a month ago, so perhaps that is quite early to be getting itchy feet.
    Get rid of the scales, or at least only pull them out once per week (fortnightly is much better - and monthly is even better again) and MEASURE yourself - biceps, chest, waist, hips, thigh - and compare scales every week and measurements every 8 weeks.
    I can try. I've never measured myself before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing but I am sure I'll be able to find instructions online.
    I know you seem to be a big guy with some weight to lose, but it's not necessarily about losing it as quickly as possible, it's a "lifestyle change" and the healthy way is to lose 0.5 - 1 kg per week (as per my doctor's recommendations).
    Hmmm, it is quite the lifestyle change indeed. I miss cream cakes.
    I am a teacher as well.
    I wonder, is it rude to ask which activity level you set yourself at? I set myself as sedentary.
    "You won’t undo three decades of bad choices in three weeks. Be realistic."
    Makes sense.
    Don't give up!
    I shall try not to. Thank you for your advice
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Quick, while you can remember what you used to eat on a daily basis, pick a day in the past and try to record all the normal stuff you would eat on several days. Now - does 2000 sound like a lot of calories?
    No, I see what you mean. I used to eat a dozen doughnuts in an evening, at about 3500 calories.... on top of a day of eating junk.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Try not tracking your exercise or not eating the calories back
    If things don't improve in a month, I will. Thank you for the advice
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    instead of a FitBit you could get yourself a heart rate monitor. I picked mine up in Lloyds Pharmacy for £12 and it works fine.
    Well that is certainly worth investigating! Many thanks!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Personally I would only record exercise calories for exercise above and beyond what you normally have to do for work etc. Sedentary doesn't mean comatose so a certain amount of commuting and everyday life moving about has already been accounted for. Try just recording calories you've burnt through going for a walk instead otherwise you may be double counting the benefits?

It's hard when it comes off slowly but you'll get there!
  • sim207
    sim207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Firstly give it a bit longer.

Secondly, consider whether you are eating enough. I think you are eating under your BMR (about 2,300?), which I have read is not advisable. I now always make sure I eat my BMR everyday. And...

Thirdly, you are probably more active than you think - I thought I was lightly active - office job, walking to and from the car and meetings. When I got the fit bit I found out I was burning 3 to 400 more calories in a day than MFP worked out! When I started to eat those extra calories the weight started to come off more quickly!

Fourthly, invest in a fit bit. I know they are quite expensive, but it is the best investment I have made. Not only did it point out the error of my estimations (see above) but it then encouraged me to become even more active. For example I have always cruised around to get the parking space near the door. Now I deliberately park as far from the door as I can and then walk.

Fifthly, some weeks I lose nothing. Some weeks I lose 2kg (I am set to be in 750 calorie deficit). Which comes back to my first point - give it a bit longer and be patient.

Good luck on your journey.