Is my weight loss too fast?

Options
JoLo27
JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
Hi everyone

I joined MFP about 6 weeks ago. I weighed 146.5 pounds and my goal weight is around 131 pounds. I am about 5' 5" and a small frame but otherwise curvy.

Everything's going really well and I've lost 10 pounds already!. I have been trying to stick to 1200 calories a day but in actual fact, it's been more like 1400. I have also been eating my exercise calories (long walks once or twice a week).

My question is - is this weight loss too fast? I obviously don't want to pile the pounds on again as soon as I stop calorie counting. (I think I need to stop at some point as I'm quite an obsessive person and it's probably not good in the long term!)

The other thing is - and I think I know the answer to this one - is that my body fat is still 33% and I would like to get that down.

I would appreciate your advice as a relative newcomer

Jo

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily that fast - the first 3 - 5 lbs are usually water weight - so just taking 4lb off - you are at 1 lb a week.

A coupld\e of suggestions - up your calories a bit more and start heavy lifting - it will help your BF% while still losing weight (albeit a bit slower).
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i also would say strength training a few times a week would help you burn fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow interesting that your Bodyfat % is 33 and you're that height/weight. i'm also 5'5 and weight 200 pounds, small but curvy frame and my bodyfat% is 33% :laugh:

anyway i agree with the above poster, you'd more than likely be better off with eating a bit more calories (still under your maintenance by about 20%) and lifting heavy weights.
  • JoLo27
    Options
    I don't really understand why my body fat is so high. Can big boobs push your body fat up? I am a 32FF!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have to get down to the gym :-)
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Eh I lost 30 pounds in 6-7 weeks and my doc is thrilled so who knows. But I was also over 200 so im guessing thats why she was happy lol.
    I dont think its bad that sounds decent to me 1-2 pounds a week is what im told is normal and what im aiming for.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds the first week, now it's a steady 1 or 2 poounds a week and I eat from 1800 - 2200 cals a day
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why my body fat is so high. Can big boobs push your body fat up? I am a 32FF!

i'm 36H :laugh: and yeah tig ole bitties count as fat, but i consider at least a DD as good fat :laugh:
  • JoLo27
    Options

i'm 36H :laugh: and yeah tig ole bitties count as fat, but i consider at least a DD as good fat :laugh:

Lol! DD is my new goal then!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    *bump
  • mjanemorgan
    mjanemorgan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    it's not necesserily (sp?) too fast. It depends what you were eating before you started losing weight, if you were eating a lot of calories and fat and have a fast metabolism then maybe cutting it all out made you lose it quickly, Also, people do tend to lose weight most quickly when they start dieting so don't be dissappointed if it does slow down! I think the excercise you do sounds good, they say eating 1500 cals is good so 1400 is only 100 less. Congrats on success so far and good luck! :)
  • JoLo27
    Options
    it's not necesserily (sp?) too fast. It depends what you were eating before you started losing weight, if you were eating a lot of calories and fat and have a fast metabolism then maybe cutting it all out made you lose it quickly, Also, people do tend to lose weight most quickly when they start dieting so don't be dissappointed if it does slow down! I think the excercise you do sounds good, they say eating 1500 cals is good so 1400 is only 100 less. Congrats on success so far and good luck! :)

Thanks Jane. To be honest, I was probably eating about 2,500 calories a day before and the weight wasn't exactly piling on but I was getting close to 11 stone, which I never thought I'd see as I have always had a fast metabolism. Hitting 50 last year didn't help and having to buy size 14 (US size 10) when I always used to be a size 10 (US size 6) didn't feel good, especially as I was starting to look like a little round ball on top of still skinny legs!

Once I'm down to my target weight and I've got my body fat down to around 27%, I think I need to stick to about 1,800 calories, reduce the amount of sugar and fat and do some resistance exercise.

My downfall is that I'm a big snacker - houmous & kettle crisps (chips), biscuits, cheese, chocolate etc. My absolute favourite food is Garrett's Pecan Caramel Crisp popcorn which I get people to bring back from the US for me. I dread to think how many calories are in a bag of that!!