Coffee

Options
I have not given up having my morning cup of coffee. I usually only have one cup with sugar and sugar free vanilla creamer. I was wondering how bad this really is & if it would help to try to stop drinking it. I am just so used to having it to start my day. I feel like I need the caffeine first thing.

Also any friends that log in regular would be great for support.

Thanks

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't think a cup of coffee is going to do anything to you. I drink 2 - 4 cups of tea a day with milk, I don't have sugar and never have done. Cutting out your coffee isn't going to give you much to work with compared to if you had the coffee.

47 calories isn't a lot really, but if you are that worried about it, have tea instead. If you can handle it without sugar than that's an added bonus.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why would you stop drinking coffee? If you want you can start weening yourself off the sugar and creamer (creamer especially! Its laden with trans fats), that would be a good idea. An 8oz cup of coffee has 2 calories, anti-oxidants, and 125 mg of Potassium.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pry my coffee out of my cold dead hands. Coffee has like 5 calories. Who cares?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, unsweetened. But even with real sugar, it's not that many calories as long as you aren't pouring tablespoon after tablespoon in. It might be worth trying to back off the additives and see if you can develop a taste for it black, though. Then coffee is a completely guilt-free pleasure!

Caffeine is a stimulant, and therefore a slight metabolism booster and a slight appetite suppressant. So it'll help you lose weight.

I do have a little extra water, because it's also a mild diuretic and I like replacing the fluids. However, there's probably enough actual water in the coffee itself to offset the diuretic properties. I just like drinking water, so I do.
  • Auntzip
    Auntzip Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've started drinking mine with just a splash of vanilla almond milk. I would have a really hard time giving up my coffee.
    I'm fairly certain my co-workers appreciate my continued ingestion of the magic juice which instantly transforms me from babbling idiot to...well, whatever it is that I am post coffee. :-)
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is critical for an athlete. What isn't so good is caffeine with no exercise...

And for the athlete, soda pop isn't a good way to get caffeine however. Coffee is great.
  • toxicmikki
    toxicmikki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pry my coffee out of my cold dead hands. Coffee has like 5 calories. Who cares?

Well said! Coffee is the one thing that I enjoy that I don't feel guilty about! Keep enjoying your coffee girl!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking it. It has almost no calories and gives you a boost! Feel free to add me! Thanks!
  • pam_perfect1
    Options
    Gotta have my coffee and sugar free creamer. I would walk a mile longer just to have my morning routine stay the same while I am into my food management. Do what you want, but while you are making good choices, maybe coffee for you is a GOOD choice. just sayin
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I would die...or kill someone...without my coffee.
  • HerbieMomof9
    Options
    :laugh: Sipping my coffee right now!! For me it's the cool mint oreos that can never come in my house again if I am going to kick the sugar addiction!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You don't want to deal with me on a day I haven't had coffee. I use fat free creamer and Splenda. I am happy with it. It is very few cals. Enjoy!
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a medium dunkin donuts coffee with cream and sugar EVERY morning, 168 calories and I am losing ATLEAST 2lbs a week. So NO you dont need to give up your coffee, I refuse to, I love my morning coffee and not giving it up for nothin :):wink:
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have at lease 2 cups every morning with splenda and almond coconut milk. I dont believe its bad for you. Its a good way to kick start your day. If i dont have coffee I will not be able to accomplish much :D So drink away
    Add me if you would like
    -Angela
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Im sipping on my Milicano right now....lots of people have said to me that caffeince slows down weight loss? This cannot be true lol! I limit myself to x3 a day
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I just had a conversation with my husband this morning and I told him that I could readily give up booze but they would have to pry my cup of coffee from my cold, dead hands!

I drink quite a bit of coffee. I love the stuff! I take it with either skim milk or fat free non dairy (dry) creamer. Lately it's been the FF creamer. Less cals than the milk and I usually only hit it once with about a teaspoon and that's it. I can't really do my coffee black yet. I need the milk to cut down the bitterness.
  • Leamonator
    Leamonator Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said they would have to pry the coffee from my cold dead hands! That's me in a nutshell!

I used to drink my coffee with lots of french vanilla creamer. I weaned myself off of that to milk and sugar and am now down to about one packet of splenda in a very large cup of coffee. It took me about 6 weeks to wean.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea, and caffeine have been associated with many health benefits. There is no reason to ever consider giving up coffee for health reasons unless you have a very bad case of diabetes.

Whereas, the stuff you put into your coffee is probably pretty bad for you. I'd recommend switching to an artificial sweetener and whole milk. Those artifical creamers are usually made with trans fat or some other similarly horrible chemicals.

EDIT: as a side note, coffee is actually an excellent appetite suppressent.
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    The creamer with the hydrogenated oils and corn syrup is the biggie unless you have been told by your doctor that you need to stop the coffee. If you are trying to get off caffeine, you could go decaf. Go with real cream and if you like the vanilla flavor, try a flavored coffee or a sugar free syrup. I do not like splenda or stevia in my coffee (too bitter) and I gotta have it sweet, so I either use real sugar, not so many calories for just a teaspoon or two or xylitol (natural plant based sweetener marketed as Xylosweet or Ideal) which as little or no calories. Sounds too delicious- gonna go make a mocha shake! Cold coffee, chocolate protein powder, just a little xylitol and some 1% milk. Put it in my magic bullet with some ice, YUM!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    As long as your creamer doesn't contain artificial trans fats (to my knowledge most do not, but if someone has evidence otherwise then I'd like to see it) then I wouldn't worry about it.

Just account for the calories added by your creamer, fit them into your calorie budget and off you go. Enjoy your beverage.

EDIT: It looks like coffee mate flavored creamers have less than .5g hydrogenated oils which the FDA considers to be zero, but it's not zero. Whether or not you believe this to be significant is up to the individual. Dosage is relevant.