MFP vs. BodyMedia

Options
agbaeb
agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
So, according to MFP, I'm burning an average of 1570 cal/day on my non-workout days. According to my BodyMedia armband, I'm burning more like 1900.

Time to up the calories again? I want to lose about 8-10 more lbs.

Please check out my diary and let me know what you think?

***NOTE: My profile pic is me on my honeymoon, my inspiration...NOT where I am now.***

Replies

• agbaeb
    Options
    bump
  • agbaeb
    Options
    Bump it up!
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just got my BodyMedia arm link two months ago. I was advised by my nutritionist to invest in one since I've been consistent on my food tracking and workout regiment for more than a year. I was surprised to see that my non-workout days, I avg 2,000 caloric burn and on days I'm active I burn anywhere from 2,200-2,600 a day. Turns out I was under eating and hence haven't lost much weight.

I upped my caloric intake to from 1,200 and made 1,400 calories as my base. My BMR is 1,380. I avg 1,500-1,900 depending on what day it is for me. I had to think outside MFP mindset of eating my calories back since the BodyMedia gives you an accurate caloric burn. As long as I have a deficit of 750+ for the day, I know the following day the scale reflects a loss. Even a 500 deficit a day a week still leads to a pound loss a week.

I have the whole month of May to drop 10 lbs and hit 143 lbs for my weightlosswars. I'm using the BodyMedia to make it happen. So far so good since last week I was at 159 lbs on Monday and by hitting my caloric deficit on a daily basis, I managed to get down to 153 lbs by Saturday.

Hope this helps.
  • agbaeb
    Options
    I only have a little weight left that I want to lose, but I've been using MFP since October and only lost 7 lbs and NOTHING since Jan!!! :( I've lost inches though, and that's exciting! :)

I'm really considering upping the calories again or even going maintenance for a week to give my system a break.
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Please remind me...BodyMedia is the maker of Body Bug, correct? So purchasing the BB means you have to subscribe to their online software?

Thanks!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I also have the body media. I use MFP to log my food as the database is more extensive, but I determine the amount of calories that I eat by my body media. I average 3000 calories burned per day including exercise so I try to limit my calorie intake to around 2000 for a 1000 calorie deficit per week. It's been working so far.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit Link and I have to say to me it has thus far been more accurate.

My BMR is also 1360 and Upped my calories to 1400 as well. My daily burn on Body Media is 2100-2300. I definately was not eating enough for my daily calorie burn but now I think I finally found a better balance. I have more energy and am building more muscle now.

MFP is sometimes close to the calorie burn I get on my BMF but for my intense cardio burns mfp over calculates my burns.

Hope this helps!
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Please remind me...BodyMedia is the maker of Body Bug, correct? So purchasing the BB means you have to subscribe to their online software?

Thanks!

BodyMedia and BodyBug are made by same company but marketed by separate companies. And yes, you do have to subscribe to their online software. I believe I get 3 months free and after that it's like $7 a month or something like that.
  • agbaeb
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit Link and I have to say to me it has thus far been more accurate.

My BMR is also 1360 and Upped my calories to 1400 as well. My daily burn on Body Media is 2100-2300. I definately was not eating enough for my daily calorie burn but now I think I finally found a better balance. I have more energy and am building more muscle now.

MFP is sometimes close to the calorie burn I get on my BMF but for my intense cardio burns mfp over calculates my burns.

Hope this helps!

So, have you stalled at all doing that? I have such a little amount to go, and it's frustrating to stall for SO long!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I use my Bodymedia for the calories burned and keep both MFP and Bodymedia updated for intake. It's really eye opening :smile:

I also upped my calories about 3 weeks ago because I was not losing. first 2 weeks no loss, 3rd week almost 4 lbs. We'll see what week 4 brings :wink:
  • iambatman41
    iambatman41 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • ladykayaker
    Options
    I agree with you - MFP tells me that I should take in 1390 calories, whereas BodyMedia gives me a goal of 1650 calories intake.
    I find BodyMedia much more realistic.
    I jut couldn't stick to the MFP goal of only 1390 a day. It was just way too restrictive for me.

BodyMedia measures my calories burned each day at 2200 to 2400.
    I can now see why MFP wasn't working for me.
  • agbaeb
    Options
    bump
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I only have a little weight left that I want to lose, but I've been using MFP since October and only lost 7 lbs and NOTHING since Jan!!! :( I've lost inches though, and that's exciting! :)

I'm really considering upping the calories again or even going maintenance for a week to give my system a break.

Trust your BMF data. I'm also a small girl with not much to lose (basically at goal now but was stalled earlier this year and totally frustrated trying to eat low calorie and lose those stubborn last few pounds).

Long story short, I started upping my calories in January. I'm 5'5" and was 125lbs in January. Went up to 1800-1900/day. Got my BMF in February and it was showing that I burn 2100-2200 on rest days and anywhere from 2600-3800 on workout days (I'm a distance runner so sometimes on long run days I really burn a lot!). I now base my calorie intake off my BMF data and since I'm a small person with very little weight to lose I try to keep a 250/day deficit. I'm down to 120lbs now. I actually had my best month of weight loss last month (1.5lbs) when I kept my average daily deficit to 200/day.
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options

Trust your BMF data. I'm also a small girl with not much to lose (basically at goal now but was stalled earlier this year and totally frustrated trying to eat low calorie and lose those stubborn last few pounds).

Long story short, I started upping my calories in January. I'm 5'5" and was 125lbs in January. Went up to 1800-1900/day. Got my BMF in February and it was showing that I burn 2100-2200 on rest days and anywhere from 2600-3800 on workout days (I'm a distance runner so sometimes on long run days I really burn a lot!). I now base my calorie intake off my BMF data and since I'm a small person with very little weight to lose I try to keep a 250/day deficit. I'm down to 120lbs now. I actually had my best month of weight loss last month (1.5lbs) when I kept my average daily deficit to 200/day.

Good advice... I'm kinda in the same boat as you were. Need to decrease the deficit and see if that brings results again.
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, I got my BM armband. After a few days of wearing it, I actually realize I am burning that higher number of calories. My armband says about 2400 calories burned per day. MFP was having me eat 1500 calories a day. BM is having me eat about 1660. I already feel much more comfortable with the higher number of calories, even though it's not a monstrous amount. We'll see how it worked for me on Saturday when I weigh in! I'm giving myself 2 weeks to get used to the new vitamins I'm taking along with the armband. I'm also moving 1300 miles in that time. Once I'm settled in my new place, I'll get back to working out and hopefully see real results. Thanks for the input on the BM!
  • NavaGirl35
    NavaGirl35 Posts: 36
    Options
    I, too have the BodyBugg....betwee BB and MFP...both tell me different, too....