Any gardeners?

Options
vyolette
vyolette Posts: 23
Are there any gardeners out there? I'd love to hear about what healthy things you are growing and and learn about any of your favorite recipes. I'm a serious tomato/pepper head and have some other things growing.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    HI! I am! I currently have several varieties of tomatoes: large, small, and heirloom; several varieties of peppers: mild, hot, scotch bonnets and habenaros, the normal zuccinni, squash, canteloupe, cucumber, celery, and for my herbs I have shallots, mint, flat parsley, oregano, two kinds of thyme, basil, curry, cat mint (for the kitty), and I will be adding some cilantro, watermelon, and few other kinds of various herbs.

I love to make stuffed peppers, but right now I am trying to find a healthy bakeable or grillable concoction that is not all cheese. (Maybe homemade salsa mixed with fat free cream cheese?)
    For tomatoes I make a goulash that is not a goulash at all (Mom's recipe). It's chopped tomatoes, fresh garlic and herbs with any kind of ground meat of your choosing with macaroni noodles.
    I also make a sauce when I have too many tomatoes to deal with. I blanch them, peel the skin, remove the seeds, and puree the rest and season as needed.
    Grilled peppers are awesome. If you have an abundance of bell peppers, cut the tops off, core them, and then fill them with a homemade salsa for personal salsa cups.
    grilled tomatoes are yummy. cut them thick and use ones that are just kind of on the ripe side, anything more turns to mush, and put down aluminum foil so they sear.
    baked "fried" tomatoes are a great snack- panko, fresh herbs of choosing chopped fine and blended with panko; dredge in either egg white or skim milk before dusting in panko, then bake in oven til golden. Yum!
    It's really about the imagination! Possibilities are endless!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i' like this recipe to use up squash, zucchini, carrot and tomato.

http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2011/05/spring-chicken-and-pasta-stir-fry.html