• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are my favorite calories!! :D

Exercise calories taste THE BEST.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes! This is more important as you get closer to goal weight.

I set my activity level to sedentary (office job) and then eat my exercise calories back. I would rather lose a little slower than end up losing muscle mass. I'm exercising to KEEP my muscle mass and don't want to be "skinny-fat."
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes! This is more important as you get closer to goal weight.

I set my activity level to sedentary (office job) and then eat my exercise calories back. I would rather lose a little slower than end up losing muscle mass. I'm exercising to KEEP my muscle mass and don't want to be "skinny-fat."

Awesome mindset!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In a word - YES!
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm wondering how many of you eat the calories you burn from excercise? Have you seen better results either way? Thanks!

I have never eaten back my calories, but my weight loss has stalled and I'm giving it a go. I upped my cardio and strength training and I'm trying to eat back at least half of the calories and see if it helps.
  • wendy3330
    wendy3330 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat my exercise calories and it has not slowed down my weight loss at all.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Every last one of them........
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    mind your calorie deficit. that is all.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    yes, but I don't know what they are
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat them back and sometimes more :) Still managed to lose 7lbs this month
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nope.... i drink them!!!

2012-02-10_10-54-46_470.jpg
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    I found that not eating the exercise calories only got me losing a lot for awhile. Soon enough I stopped all together. They give you those calories for a reason, because your body is using them and not eating at least a portion back is going to slow your metabolism and weight loss, not to mention make you feel worse. If you're not feeling well on the diet it's harder to stick to it. Don't feel guilty about eating the exercise calories as long as you're accurately recording what you're doing.

Me, too.
    At this point, I'm doing my best to reach my calorie goal each day with as little deficit as possible. I should be (and I am) losing at the rate of 1-2 pounds a week, typically burning around 800 kcal/day on the Concept2 rower. I feel good. I'm never hungry. My muscle tone is returning. It's all good.
    Bottom line: Eat those calories back.
  • breelicious
    breelicious Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the day and how much I work out that day. Our bodies need fuel. It gives us energy. Sometimes I take 2 classes in a day at the gym. Then I need 2 eat more. If im having a bad day or a pms day then I usually eat more. The calorie goals that myfitnesspal gives you are supposed to help you lose weight even with moderate execise. So If i exercise that day I figure I need to eat at least half of those extra calories I burned. I dont always stay on track. I was entering everything religiously at 1st. I just got back to that because I been stuck in place for the last couple of months and I know its directly caused by what im putting in my mouth. Im just kinda learning this as i go. If you try something for a while and it doesnt seem to get you results then try something else. Something will work out for you!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    use-the-search-button-you-dont-want-me-to-say-that-twice-thumb.jpg
  • moxiemoney
    moxiemoney Posts: 9
    Options
    It really depends on how aggressive you've set your goals to be. I'm on the 1000 deficit daily caloric diet, and so I have to be careful to stay above 1200 calories per day after all is said and done. Too few calories and your body will go into starvation mode and save everything as fat. Your body is a motor...sometimes the more you feed it the more it burns...this of course assumes you are working out and exercising adequately. I workout weights in they gym 3 days and cardio 5 days, and I'm not using fitbit to track my activities...I need the calories, but as long as I'm getting at least 1500 calories net per day, I don't mind not eating my extra workout calories.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm wondering how many of you eat the calories you burn from excercise? Have you seen better results either way? Thanks!

When you eat your exercise cals do you eat the red ones last?

I eat at a sedentary TDEE but I've been exercising, so I eat my calories back. If I had it set to my 'moderate activity level' TDEE value, then I wouldn't eat them back. If I let MFP set up my activity level, then God yes, I'd have to eat them back and then some. I reached goal eating back my exercise cals, see my profile for stats and pics.
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I almost always do- eating 1200 cal/day is hard enough as it is, so if I burned 300 from exercise and netted only 900, I feel like I would be starving!
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    In the beginning I did not know about eating back the calories and so I didn't and I lost. I found out about eating them and adjusted to start eating them that is when I noticed that I stopped losing and the cycle I was in was back to gaining. I recently stopped eating these calories again and started losing again. lost 3.5 lbs in the first week of stopping. I would say no to eating the caloriies. Maybe instead of eating back the calories pick a day out of the week that you allow yourself to splurge a little, but don't go over board.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i dont count my exercise calories... its impossible to tell how many calories you burn. the closest estimate is having a heart rate monitor but even that is not amazingly accurate.