Butter/Margarine low cal subtitute - what is your fave?

Options
Anyone have some good ideas for a good butter/margarine low cal fave?
Something to cook eggs in, put on toast, veggies, etc.

TIA
Lisa

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use the Light I Can't Believe It's Not Butter -- the one that says it has a little olive oil in the mix. I'd like to switch to 100% olive oil versions or sunflower oil, but they are really hard to find where I live.
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    I cut my butter use by half. To cook eggs I use a spray of cooking oil, add a little garlic paste to my veggies. If a meal calls for butter I only use half of what a recipe calls for. For toast I only cover half with butter, fold and eat. And for baking I will use half butter and half apple sauce. Sometimes I will buy country crock light butter with half the calories and fat but that's rare since a lb of butter lasts forever in my house
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I use real, unsalted butter. I'd rather have the fat and cut down on the amount I eat than eat some synthetic quasi-food margarine spread.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I use real butter.

Much tastier and it helps me get to my fat/calorie goal.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    I use Smart Balance
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When I use it, I use real butter. I usually just use a little bit though
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use real, unsalted butter. I'd rather have the fat and cut down on the amount I eat than eat some synthetic quasi-food margarine spread.
    This.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ...does butter count
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I use Brummel and Brown spread made with yogurt as a spread or on vegetables. It's good. My family never really ate butter growing up, so I don't miss it. I use olive or coconut oil for cooking usually (or cooking spray)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Less butter. You need less than you think. It's not a crazy amount of calories if you use a small amount.

I do use cooking spray for some things though.
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I agree! For the difference in calories, butter tastes way better and isn't so bad for you... I once heard that you know how bad Margerine is because if you left a tub open outside no animal would touch it :laugh:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Only real
    butter....and I use very little!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Why fry eggs in anything. I fry mine plain in a non-stick skillet.

As for toast why not try a good healthy fat like Almond Butter.

Veggies are great just steamed and lightly seasones.

In my personal opinion why add "empty" calories that can be way better spent on other options!
  • Breezedew
    Breezedew Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My trouble is I love the Horizon Organic butter - but I just switched to the Land o'Lakes Lite with canola oil. It's 50 calories per tablespoon. I Know I'll still use the Horizon Organic on some things, but I think I'm getting used to the other :)
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Land O Lakes® Light Butter with Canola Oil. Probably not the best, but it's 1/2 the calories of butter and has a taste that is really close :laugh:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You can use butter with olive oil. They say it's better than the others. I don't use butter anymore. When I need it (which is like once in a blue moon) I spray it with a dash of butter flavored spray
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Land O Lakes® Light Butter with Canola Oil. Probably not the best, but it's 1/2 the calories of butter and has a taste that is really close :laugh:

This is what I use. I like it better than butter.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Real butter (whipped), EVOO, OVCO, real cheese...or nothing at all
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why fry eggs in anything. I fry mine plain in a non-stick skillet.

As for toast why not try a good healthy fat like Almond Butter.

Veggies are great just steamed and lightly seasones.

In my personal opinion why add "empty" calories that can be way better spent on other options!
    Because it tastes good.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Land O Lakes Light with canola oil