Chinese Food

Options
2»

Replies

• jendavis19
    jendavis19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If they have Spring Rolls or Chicken Lettuce Wraps, I usually go for that...... Lower Calorie, and still filling. And drinks lots of water!! :drinker:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese food once a week usually. I get a shrimp broccoli dish with white rice, not fried rice. I only eat about 1/3rd of the rice that comes with it. This dish comes cooked in a sauce. The next day I usually have a 4-5 pound increase from the sodium but the following day it drops back off. I have had it from other restaurants where it is steamed, not cooked in a sauce.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am actually assistand manager to a chinese restaurant/takeaway so ya know I kinda know what REALLY goes on in the kitchen and well.....basically your screwed!!

Yes, have a couple of spoons of boiled rice maybe a splash of hot and sour soup but generally it is ALL ram packed with oil, sodium, msg and sugar. Sorry if I've put a dampener on things but you'd be better off buying from a supermarket and making your own at least that way you can assess the damage you are doing to your diet directly.

Eeek

I think im gonna have the kung pao chicken or shrimp with steamed vegetables and take the calorie hit. I will get a good workout that morning in. Thanks for the heads up
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    LOL. When we eat chineese @ my house I can be absolutely certain I'm going over my calories for the day. I don't consider it cheating, it's just life and I enjoy every single bite. :drinker: I know it's gonna happen and I try to prepare by getting in some extra exercise and drinking more water the few days after to get rid of all that sodium. I'm not trading in my mongolian beef and veggie lo mein for steamed anything, that takes all the fun out of it.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sammi402
    Options
    Meat (nothing fried or breaded) and vegetable dishes. No rice, noodles, egg rolls or anything else that is fried.

Is boiled rice bad?

they use white rice so it's not "bad" but it's not really offering anything other than filling you up.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • seanorawe
    Options
    I take it sodium is a big killer?
  • sammi402
    Options

makes you retain water really bad. also not really good for your BP
  • seanorawe
    Options

makes you retain water really bad. also not really good for your BP

Cheers :happy:
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat a small(measured) portions of things I realy want. I then fill the rest of the plate with vegetables and eat the vegetables first. Once I have eaten the veggies and am not so hungry I can leisurely enjoy the higher fat items, one slow bite at a time. If I have eaten so many calories that I dont have many left I will eat homemade veg soup for other meals. Fills you up but low cal. If I have a high calorie day for some reason and dont meet my goals I just think to my self, I just didnt lose today but I can again tommorow.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    We are having friends over at the weekend and we are having some chinese food. I like hot food, curry etc. Is there anything someone can reccomend that wont hit the calories too hard? I dont really want to have a cheat day per se.
    PF changs has good info on their site.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Just say F$(# it and spend some extra time on the treadmill or girlfriend :)
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This thread has now put the thought of crab rangoons into my head. I may not be able to stop thinking about them until I get my fix now THANNNNKKS :P

Stick to vegetable plates, small portions. No matter what you get from Chinese food places it's usually greasy and bad for you so just keep your portions small, enjoy it and drink lots of water!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Chicken lettuce wraps.
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The sodium is a killer!

I had Panda Express last weekend and paid for it for three days. I think I'll skip chinese for a while.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I had scallops with asparagus and carrot plus white rice last time. I don't think it was that bad at all, calorie-wise.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am actually assistand manager to a chinese restaurant/takeaway so ya know I kinda know what REALLY goes on in the kitchen and well.....basically your screwed!!

Yes, have a couple of spoons of boiled rice maybe a splash of hot and sour soup but generally it is ALL ram packed with oil, sodium, msg and sugar. Sorry if I've put a dampener on things but you'd be better off buying from a supermarket and making your own at least that way you can assess the damage you are doing to your diet directly.

Eeek

I think im gonna have the kung pao chicken or shrimp with steamed vegetables and take the calorie hit. I will get a good workout that morning in. Thanks for the heads up

If you can get stuff steamed then stick to that...I'm uk so generally not a whole lot gets steamed :/ But even then the meats are usually pre soaked in msg and sodium with water. And watching the sauces get made up I can honestly say steer well clear of sweet and sour and curry. And for the love of god stay away from the prawn crackers haha
    Good luck :)