Want to loose 20 lbs...

Options
Hey guys,
The last time I checked I was 167 on the scale. That was 2 Wednesdays ago. I am so scared to check my weight because i have had bad eating for about 3 or 4 days in the past two weeks. How long do you guys think it would take for me to loose 20 lbs? (month wise) if i eat under the calories I am suppose to?

Replies

• JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, it took me 2 1/2 months to LOSE 20 pounds. But everyone is different, and it depends what you are eating and how much you are exercising.....
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    10-20 weeks depending on your defacit. So anything from 2.5 to 5 months
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with only 20lbs to lose your weekly goal should be no more than 1lb/week and for the last 10lbs 0.5lbs/week, so having said that I would say 30 weeks (10 weeks to lose 10, then 20 weeks to lose the last 10) For a total of 7 months. You can lose faster if you don't mind losing lean muscle along with the fat, but I would not suggest that.

never mind that, I see you have 40 ish lbs to lose

I would set your goal at 1.5lbs/week for a few weeks then change to 1lb/week. so I would guess 12-20 weeks (3-5 months) to lose the 20lbs.
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body and how much you exercise and also what kinds of exercise you do. If you do cardio and strength training 4 days a week and stay on track with calories, you could lose about 5 pounds a month so it could take 4 months to lose roughly 20 pounds. This is all approximate though. It also may take your body a little while to start losing weight because it takes a while to get completely on track. If you try really hard... 4 months
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just eating under calories, probably about a 1lb a week. with working out maybe 2-3 lbs a week?.... Everyone is different. But if you lose it all real fast chances are it might not be "real" weight that you lost. So workout, eat right and it will happen.... I'm also trying to lose 20 lbs...so add me if you like.

Good Luck!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm at 270 and would love to lose 100 lbs. But it's a long road and I need help and motivation. Please ADD ME AS A FRIEND so we can root eachother on :) Last year I lost 18 lbs but gave up. Sometimes I feel like I have no self control to go on.....

The best part about this website is the phone app so I am happy to easily count calories every day. Your advice on eating right would be lovely :) thanks!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't know what mfp has for you calories per day. Inorder to lose a pound you must cut out &/or burn 3500 calories. If you want to lose a pound a week it will take you about 5 months. That may seem like a long time but if you cut back too far you're body will work against you. I'm not going into the battle of starvation mode that goes on here but you need to exercise or your body will adjust to that amount of calories and not lose. Slow and steady is healthier and your are more likely to keep it off. It is a lifestyle not a diet. I hope this helps.
  • clintbritt3
    clintbritt3 Posts: 123
    Options
    Well first of all don't eat under your calories... your body needs fuel to burn fat. A lot of people don't understand that but it's the truth. Eat a nice clean, higher protein (so you feel full) and lower carb.... not NO carb, that's not good, but cut out refined rice, pasta, starches... and eat lots of greens and veggies and get at least an hour of cardio in a day if you can. I lost 13lbs in a month just by changing the foods i was eating and staying at 1400 calories, i was exercising but not a whole lot, just mainly cardio. Do it the healthy way or those 20lbs will come back faster than ever! Hope this helps????
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    Why would you want to eat under your calories? MFP works out the healthiest way for you to lose, so if you put in that you want to lose 2lb a week, follow their calorie guidelines. It took me about 10 weeks last year to lose my first 20lbs, and that was with eating my daily calories (or points at the time), drinking water, and exercising.

I know it sounds like a long time - but look at it this way. Would you rather starve yourself for a month, get rid of the 20lbs, be left with long-term health issues because of it, possibly trigger an ED, and end up putting it all back on again with extra, or maintain a healthy active lifestyle with good food and exercise choices and lose 1-2lbs every week and KEEP it off?

I started losing weight in June last year and it really, really doesn't seem like it was almost a year ago. Fastest isn't necessarily best, and definitely not when you're talking about weight loss.

Just my two cents, feel free to jump down my neck or whatever.
  • ConnieBoles
    ConnieBoles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to lose 20 lbs. I try to keep in mind that 20 lbs is not much weight to lose when there are people who are trying to lose a 100 or more lbs, so if it takes me 6 or 7 months to lose the 20 lbs then thats ok. I will have days when I'll eat over my calories and do not exercise, but I need to try harder the next day and maybe I will not lose a full pound this week, but I did not gain weight this week. My motto has become, "Do not give up".
  • jxj7227
    jxj7227 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    no i agree with all of yall :) I wont give up.