MFP double counting calories

Options
MrDude_1
MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
So, I just noticed something.
I bought a Fitbit yesterday, and linked it to my MFP account.

When you sign up for MFP, you set a calorie amount for your "Normal Daily Activity"... if you're sedentary is low, if you run around at work all day its high.. etc.. but its NOT exercise. its already included in your calories for the day.

but now its counting me walking around at work as exercise... effectively double counting the calories.

those calories were already included when MFP added them to my BMR to give me a daily calorie starting point. now they're being added a second time as "more to eat" exercise calories.

if you only have a 500 cal deficit, that could easily have you gaining weight instead of losing it.

what the heck?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    DOn't log the walking around at work as exercise. You're right; it was already calculated in to your normal activity level. The normal activity level you choose is exclusive of the exercise you'll add. That's why I never add things like housekeeping, gardening etc... because they are just normal things that make the difference between TDEE and BMR. I chose sedentary but I do move throughout the day as a stay-at-home-mom.

Just log specific exercise like workouts at the gym, classes, running/cycling/swimming etc.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I set both to inactive and go with what it gives me. I have had no problems, unless of course I eat over my goals and exercise calories. I am losing without difficulty.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You could change your setting to sedentary then log all your walking.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    I should note I AM NOT LOGGING IT AS EXERCISE. IT IS BEING DONE AUTOMATICALLY... by the MFP/fitbit connection...

kind of an important mistake, on their part eh?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I think the complaint is that the fitbit is logging it, not the OP. I wouldn't like that set up either. Even with a 'sedentary' setting, I would never log my casual walking around the office or to the car.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    You could change your setting to sedentary then log all your walking.

its already set to sedentary.... "all the walking" is me leaving my desk to get a coffee or water, to the printer, etc...

Its not like im out walking a extra couple miles.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that it's very annoying! I don't know if that's how they intended it to work or not though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    does a fitbit also clock up your resting activity - or does it register zero if you sit still for an hour.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    does a fitbit also clock up your resting activity - or does it register zero if you sit still for an hour.
    Fitbit includes calories burned sitting still on their website, but based on the numbers between MFP and fitbit, MFP uses a fudged version of fitbits numbers.

I think I am just going to unlink the fitbit from MFP, but really, how the heck is this supposed to work together. the fitbit is made to be worn all the time, not just during exercise.

I am not too upset about it, but for someone else trying to lose weight, this can really sabotage their efforts.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I have started wearing a Fitbit as well, and was certainly VERY confused about the whole linking thing. Here is what I found:

1. Whenever you sync your Fitbit, we'll retrieve the actual calories burned that you've recorded up to that point in the day (if you sync your Fitbit at 11am we'll look at the 11 hours of data available so far for that day).
    2. For whatever portion of the day that you have remaining, MyFitnessPal will use an estimate for your calorie burn based on the activity level that you selected when you initially signed up with MyFitnessPal (Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, Very Active).
    3. If the total of your actual calories burned (from Fitbit) and your estimated calories burned for the remainder of the day are higher than our original estimate for the entire day, we'll adjust your net calorie goal accordingly.
    4. The adjustment will be recorded as a cardiovascular exercise on the "Exercise" tab labeled "Fitbit calorie adjustment". This number will automatically adjust every time you sync your Fitbit so don't be surprised if it changes during the day or even if it disappears later in the day.

So...if I am understaing correctly, it is not "double counting" the calories, but rather adjusting the difference between the estimate MFP made and what you are actually burning/projected to burn in a day. I guess the thought is your Fitbit will be more accurate than the estimate MFP made.