Protein Powder and weight gain?

Options
Does protein powder make you gain weight? I have been using it after running and have noticed more fat around my legs, arms and midsection. The only difference I can think of is adding protein powder to my daily diet.

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    No
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No it won't, as long as you are within your calorie range...Are you sure you are counting/measuring food accurately?
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Excess calories = weight gain. Nothing, by itself and in moderation, is going to cause weight gain. Technically you could lose weight eating burger king, if you so desired.
  • XoSoroitygirloX
    Options
    I try to make it fit into my calories, yes. So does anyone know why I'm not gaining any muscle? haha.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I try to make it fit into my calories, yes. So does anyone know why I'm not gaining any muscle? haha.
    Are you making an effort to build muscle by strength training?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

There are a few members on here who know a lot about this topic and can help you out. One if them is ninerbuff, the other is ACG...(I forget the rest of the screen name but he is an active member, so you might see him on here) Contact them and see if they will help you out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You seem to be confusing protein powder (used to conveniently add more protein to your diet), with weight gainer supplement (used to conveniently add massive amounts of calories to your diet). Some people get confused here because they are both associated with bodybuilding.

If you need more protein in your diet, protein powders are a cheap and convenient option. They don't make you gain weight. Whether or not your gain weight is determined by your calorie balance.
  • 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Depends what you take the protein powder with, milk or water? and what the powder contains.
    This could be down to bloating, water retention, an ingredient that doesnt agree with you perhaps?
    i found that if i took whey with milk, it caused bloating and i appeared and felt "loose/flabby".
    changed to water, and no problems now. (and i dont have any issues with dairy products)
    good luck.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options

Do you actually do any strength training? Drinking protein by itself is just like eating chicken, albeit in a more convenient form. You STILL have to do strength training/exercise to actually gain muscle.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    calorie surplus makes you gain weight
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No, protein powder does not make you gain weight, eating in a surplus makes you gain weight. Performing strength training makes you build muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, unless you were eating maintenance cals and the protein powder put you over.

All the powder does is allow you to get more protein that you were unable to get through your regular diet. Most likely you are seeing water retention (could be near TOM, could be in muscles to protect and repair, you could have eaten more sodium or less potassium, etc)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake every morning and I haven't gain so in my case...NO
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, protein powder does not make you gain weight, eating in a surplus makes you gain weight. Performing strength training makes you build muscle.
    Strength training will only make you build muscle if you are in a caloric surplus. If you are losing weight you are in a deficit and strength training just helps your body maintain the muscle it already has.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You seem to be confusing protein powder (used to conveniently add more protein to your diet), with weight gainer supplement (used to conveniently add massive amounts of calories to your diet). Some people get confused here because they are both associated with bodybuilding.

If you need more protein in your diet, protein powders are a cheap and convenient option. They don't make you gain weight. Whether or not your gain weight is determined by your calorie balance.
    I think your right, my trainer takes shakes called "serious mass" and I'm not kidding they have 1200 cals in them. The kind I use (which he recommended for me, wanting to lose weight but add some muscle) is a whey protein shake that has 150 cals in it lol I drink it with water rather than milk because I don't want those exta cals (and I already have milk everyday with my cereal) I've lost 48 lbs using my shake everyday after and before workouts.
  • JoshuaLeeWilson
    Options
    I gained weight every time I used it, however, I was adding a scoop of it to a smoothie of 1 banana and 3-4 large frozen unsweetened strawberries and 2% milk. It's likely the weight gain had less to do with the powder than with the other ingredients. Perhaps you should ask for the proper protein powder drink recipe and go from there.
  • squash0619
    Options
    I have to say, I and someone else from my office noticed weight gain with protein shakes even when we are within our calorie count.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I and someone else from my office noticed weight gain with protein shakes even when we are within our calorie count.

Nope. If you gained weight you were eating too much, not from having a protein shake.