recommended sugar intake for someone with insulin resistance

Options
Micahroni84
Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
I've tried finding the recommended amount of daily sugar for someone with insulin resistance and I'm a little confused by what I'm finding. From what I've read it's recommended that I keep my ADDED sugar intake below 30 grams a day but that I shouldn't worry about my sugar intake from fruits and veggies within reason. I like to eat a serving of fruit 3-4 times a day. Is this ok and can I still get rid of my pesky belly fat when I go over 30 grams a day even if most of it is from fruit?

Because I'm trying to keep my sugar intake low I am finding that I have to eat bigger amounts of low sugar foods to get my daily calorie allowance plus eat my excercise calories back and it's been difficult eat so much food. I can't eat sugar free foods because artificial sugars make my fibromyalgia flare up.

Any adive or suggestions would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    how do you know you're insulin resistant?
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    I was diagnosed 8 years ago.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If it's a medical diagnosis, then your best bet is to talk to a medical professional about what a proper diet would be.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Micahroni84

I am an insulin dependent diabetic, so as far as I have learned sugar is sugar as far as my blood sugar is concerned. But each of us are different and react differently to foods.

May I suggest you join this group to type with others who share your condition, and find some more informed opinions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance

Be Well
    Panda_1999
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    Hi Micahroni84

I am an insulin dependent diabetic, so as far as I have learned sugar is sugar as far as my blood sugar is concerned. But each of us are different and react differently to foods.

May I suggest you join this group to type with others who share your condition, and find some more informed opinions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance

Be Well
    Panda_1999

thank you!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here. My advice is to track carbs and not bother too much about sugar. Especially not fruit sugars.

Most of the sugar that gets into your blood stream comes from metabolized carbs anyway. The only reason to avoid large amounts of simple sugars - especially in liquid form (like orange juice or soda) is that they spike your glucose quickly, working your pancreas harder and also making you tired and hungry. Seriously, it's the breads, rice, pastas and bakery items that will get you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fruits are sugar in pretty packages with good PR. Get over them. The only difference between orange juice and orange is a bit of pulp discarded or used for cattle feed.

A few helpings of low carb berries may be appropriate, but if you want to hit the belly fat - some of which may be internal - then cut the carbohydrates from all sources.

I should also add "think fat" if you're struggling with calorie intake, avoid diet or lite products where fat is replaced with carbs.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    I spoke with a few doctors who recommended a nutritionist and the nutritionist I spoke with never answered my question and just kept talking about added sugars.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here. My advice is to track carbs and not bother too much about sugar. Especially not fruit sugars.

Most of the sugar that gets into your blood stream comes from metabolized carbs anyway. The only reason to avoid large amounts of simple sugars - especially in liquid form (like orange juice or soda) is that they spike your glucose quickly, working your pancreas harder and also making you tired and hungry. Seriously, it's the breads, rice, pastas and bakery items that will get you.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it and it makes sense.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am also insulin resistant. i generally eat around 2-3 servings of fruit per day as recommended by my nutritionist. i really don't pay attention to sugars, just carbs in general. i have been trying to be wary of added sugars but of course they're everywhere.

as someone else mentioned, maybe just try tracking carbs rather than sugars?