Quick Question.

Options
I'm doing the Couch to 5K and moving on to week 2 today. Maybe. I need some advice. If I run today, I'll run again on Wednesday, after having helped my sister move all day. However, if I wait until Tomorrow, I can miss the moving completely and have some time to rest.

Anyone have an opinion? PLEASE let me know.

Replies

• skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I'd say, you know your body better than anyone else does. How did you feel after week one? If you think you can do it all, then do it! But if you think you need the rest, take it. Resting your muscles is just as important as working them.... Just a side thought... Are you a DCI fan. I assume you play euphonium. Love your pic :happy: :happy:

exercise.png
  • TeenTchr
    TeenTchr Posts: 19
    Options
    Help your sister move. You will get a great workout and she will owe you.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Help your sister move. You will get a great workout and she will owe you.

Good point :tongue:

exercise.png
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Skywalker: Thanks! Yes, I'm a huge DCI fan (Madison Scouts Old School!) and I marched Baritone at Jacksonville State University for 4 years...That's me in the picture on my ticker (I'm the short one, lol).

TeenTchr: Oh yes...I'm definitely helping her move. There's nothing quite like the free labor of friends/relatives who owe you when you're moving.

Thank you both for the advice! I think I'll wait until tomorrow to run so I don't absolutely die on Wednesday.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    in the beginning you get excited as the weight comes off, You have new found energy and you want the weight to keep coming off so you keep exercising. HOWEVER, keep doing that and you can easily get burned out. you could feel like you have no energy and it is back to the couch. it can also lead to injury from over use

My advice is to exercise as much as you want but at a minimum give yourself a full day a week where you do no exercise. It gives your body a chance to recoup and heal.

In the beginning of my trek toward lower weight I got to a point where I was exercising every day twice a day. but i started to feel the wear and tear. I had to force myself to stop for a day. what a difference it made.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Skywalker: Thanks! Yes, I'm a huge DCI fan (Madison Scouts Old School!) and I marched Baritone at Jacksonville State University for 4 years...That's me in the picture on my ticker (I'm the short one, lol).

TeenTchr: Oh yes...I'm definitely helping her move. There's nothing quite like the free labor of friends/relatives who owe you when you're moving.

Thank you both for the advice! I think I'll wait until tomorrow to run so I don't absolutely die on Wednesday.

A Vanguard fan myself!!! But love the Scouts! I'm a woodwind player, so I never had a chance to audition for a corps, but a friend of mine marched bass drum with the Crossmen in the mid-80s (old,old school). My first DCI was 1987 East at Allentown. I'm a Pa. girl :laugh: :laugh:

exercise.png
  • Euphonasia
    Options
    My primary instrument is flute, but I picked up baritone the year before I would have aged out, learned to play it, and then had NO money to march (I was going to go with Spirit of JSU since they were on campus). I'm a pretty big Vanguard fan too. It's nice to see someone else on here who has any clue about DCI.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Forgot to mention Phantom. They're up there with Vanguard for me. Color guard was a possibility for me, but money was an issue here too. I actually taught color guard for about 5 years at 2 local high schools. Nowhere near DCI quality. Unfortunately, music programs around here always lose out to sports. It's frustrating. I'm not really interested in DCA, but I will say they have gotten better in recent years. That's always a possibility for those of us who have aged out :tongue:

exercise.png
  • Euphonasia
    Options
    I'm actually hoping to do CorpsVets from Atlanta next summer (part of the reason I'm getting in shape--those baritones are freaking heavy!). I've been very impressed with DCA over the past few years. They've really improved the quality of their shows. It'll be a worthwhile life experience at any rate. If you could get into it, it might be something you want to do. I've not marched for about three years now and am ready to try something new...Not to mention it's a pretty good way to burn some calories (I'd like to take a heart rate monitor on the field and see what happens).

Cavaliers 2002: Frameworks. If you haven't seen it, look it up on Youtube. It's freaking amazing! Too bad I don't have a Y chromosome. I'd love to march there.
  • skywalker
    Options
    I'm sure you'd lose marching with a corps. As for the baritone, I believe you! I only marched around with a clarinet. Color guard was more of a workout, but I haven't marched since '91 (I'm old:tongue: ) Hehe. I'd be curious to see what that heart rate monitor says next summer:smile: . I'm actually thinking of going to DCI East in Allentown this summer. I went in 2005, but that's the last time I've seen it live :happy:

exercise.png
  • Euphonasia
    Options
    I think I'm going to DCI Atlanta. All of the corps are going to be there. I am so excited! I didn't get to go to a show last year (except for the one at JSU), but Atlanta is awesome! Which DCA corps are up that way? I can't remember for the life of me.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Pa's favorite is the Reading Buccaneers. NJ has the Caballeros and NY Empire Statesmen. I also remember some old ones that aren't around anymore, like the Westshoremen (Pa). My cousin marched with them. The Skyliners (NY). Other than that, I can't think of any others. They're all pretty close to where I am. Only a few hours away. :happy: