How often can one work the core and abs?

Options
My trainer has been giving me reps to do on the captain's chair. I do these twice a week, when I work out with him, but I've read that you can and should work the ab muscles everyday. So, should I try to do the captain's chair on my own when I do my cardio workouts?

Basically, was just wondering if the abs need to rest between days of exercise.

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Er... the trainer i ask at the gym recommend a day of rest in between, but I would say a moderated/short version with breaks when you feel you need to should be fine. i'm no expert, though...
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to check with my trainer too. But I thought that abs exercises (crunches, bicycles, sit ups, etc) could be done on a daily basis. Guess I need to do a bit more reading.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, talked with the trainer today, who recommended that I do the captain's chair exercises only twice a week, when we have our sessions, and do my floor abs exercises when I workout on my own the rest of the time.

In reading online (yeah I know) it seems that a day of rest is recommended even for abs so...hard to get 6 days in per week, when you're supposed to rest every other day. :laugh: