Dr Oz speaking on Brown Rice & Whole Grain/Wheat...

Options

Replies

• Rokets34
    Rokets34 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but there is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. I'll address two of the major items.

1- fiber does not "offset carbs". Fiber itself is a carbohydrate, however it cannot be absorbed by the body. So, when you see a total carb counts on a label, it includes the carbs from fiber. This is why you are able to subtract the amount of fiber from the total carbs to get "net carbs".

2-Wheat is bad. It and other grains will spike your blood sugar more than table sugar. Wheat is particularly bad. It has addictive properties and perpetuates food addiction among countless other medical conditions including diabetes, obesity and cancer to name a few. This is not my opinion, this is medical fact proven over and over again through medical studies. For an extremely good overview of these findings, I suggest you read the book Wheat Belly.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly ... yeah, I'll get right on that.

Hah, kidding! I wouldn't touch Wheat Belly if someone paid me.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, the less processed a food is, the closer it is to its natural state and the better it is for you.
    With that being said, in my opinion only sprouted grain breads (Ezekiel, etc.) or even homemade breads (no preservatives or fillers!) are worth eating. Brown rice has more fiber than white rice, so I would call that healthier.

Dr. Oz is a talking head. Pay little (if any) attention to his advice...
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think all bread is bad except for sprouted bread. That being said, I use a whole grain bread for my 5 yr old's sandwiches. Not whole wheat.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Whole grain bread must have gotten on Dr Oz's bad side.....

Probably didn't want to pay him enough to say good things about him on TV.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've yet to find a whole grain rye bread on the grocery store shelves.

Yeah, it is impossible to find a whole grain rye unless you buy it from a specialty bakery or make it yourself. Harrumph.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an idiot.

Also, it depends on what the individual considers "bad." Are calories "bad?" Then whole wheat may be as "bad" as white. Is over-processed food "bad?" Then wheat is better than white.

Oh, and Dr. Oz is an idiot.

^^This!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Why is most of the people on this post hating on Dr.Oz?

He seems like a smart guy, who knows what he's talking about most of the time...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A lot of people went sour on Oz when he started recommending supplements of doubtful value.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    3pja47.jpg
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    2-Wheat is bad. It and other grains will spike your blood sugar more than table sugar. Wheat is particularly bad. It has addictive properties and perpetuates food addiction among countless other medical conditions including diabetes, obesity and cancer to name a few. This is not my opinion, this is medical fact proven over and over again through medical studies. For an extremely good overview of these findings, I suggest you read the book Wheat Belly.

Please provide studies.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a TOOL....
    Tool is an awesome band, Dr. Oz is a joke \m/

^^ +100000

AGREED 100%... TOOL is THE best band period. FTW!!!

I have never watched Dr Oz, but I can confirm the 2 above me as being correct in their statements. Tool kicks serious butt, and I have been fortunate enough to see them AND a perfect circle live in the past 3 years :drinker:
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Google "wheat belly" and you'll probably see where Dr. Oz is getting his facts from.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether I agree or not, but it is interesting to read.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I don't believe wheat is bad for most. I do prefer rye or white bread.
    Phytic acid compounds do block quite a bit though, the molecule binds with minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc.. so it might be chelating some important minerals.
    Also inhibiting digestive enzymes such as pepsin,, amylase and trypsin.
  • bonsaiblossom
    bonsaiblossom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz endorses products because he gets paid to do it, not because he has done any research on his own or has actually tried the product. He's right sometimes... but don't believe everything you see on television... He doesn't have his own show out of the goodness of his heart... He's receiving a paycheck, the network pays him to speak about certain things.

I've tried products that he recommended, and some worked... but most didn't, every product doesn't work for every single person anyway, but I wouldn't take stock in very much that says (when he is encouraging his viewers to use a certain product) unless you know it to be true from your own research or experience.

Dr, Oz is like many doctors... arrogant in thinking that they know everything. Ever notice how so many patients go misdiagnosed/undiagnosed even though the have persistent health issues? Medical science is great, so is homeopathic and complimentary medicine. Either way, you must take your health into your own hands to a certain extent (I am not saying that you should try to treat yourself for cancer or perform surgery on yourself)... some people are just after money in the medical field, I know this from experience, being a pre- med student myself.

Do your research... see how wheat bread or white bread affects you... The grains have been genetically modified in both, like most of the food we eat... that's why it's best to grow your own or buy organic, unmodified foods when possible. Removing it from my diet was the best thing for me personally.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Why is most of the people on this post hating on Dr.Oz?

He seems like a smart guy, who knows what he's talking about most of the time...

The problem is what he "knows" changes daily depending on the fad
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you want to want to really know the difference between wheat and grain you need to FIRST stop trying to convince yourself that Celiacs and Gluten Intolerance is just some hippie mumbo jumbo. It's not. Celiac/Gluten intolerance deniers can go away now. I have no help for you and you can take your hating on my diet elsewhere.

Still with me?
    Consider in your answer the science of food production, specifically genetic modification.

STOP - If you really just aren't that interested in either of those things (gluten and food science) - they stop right here. Go back to eating the way you want. Just limit your calories and move on with your life.

If you really DO have an interest, there are some good blogs, articles and staring points. There is no 2 cent easy answer to this one. The only answer on if it is good or bad for YOU and only YOU is that "it depends". On what? Well, how you feel, how much fiber you want/need in your diet, if your able to tolerate it or not, etc, etc etc. Good luck!

Health Guidance.org
    http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/5153/1/White-Bread-vs-Whole-Wheat---Any-Questions.html

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/4/669.full

One of my go-to Gluten Free blogs on the "wheat belly" book. She tears it apart.
    http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    If you want to want to really know the difference between wheat and grain you need to FIRST stop trying to convince yourself that Celiacs and Gluten Intolerance is just some hippie mumbo jumbo. It's not. Celiac/Gluten intolerance deniers can go away now. I have no help for you and you can take your hating on my diet elsewhere.

Still with me?
    Consider in your answer the science of food production, specifically genetic modification.

STOP - If you really just aren't that interested in either of those things (gluten and food science) - they stop right here. Go back to eating the way you want. Just limit your calories and move on with your life.

If you really DO have an interest, there are some good blogs, articles and staring points. There is no 2 cent easy answer to this one. The only answer on if it is good or bad for YOU and only YOU is that "it depends". On what? Well, how you feel, how much fiber you want/need in your diet, if your able to tolerate it or not, etc, etc etc. Good luck!

Health Guidance.org
    http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/5153/1/White-Bread-vs-Whole-Wheat---Any-Questions.html

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/4/669.full

One of my go-to Gluten Free blogs on the "wheat belly" book. She tears it apart.
    http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

Thanks for your post. I really appreciate the straight forward points and link to your blog re: wheat belly. So much information and mis-information, it's hard to make headway sometimes.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I say don't listen to him!! I LOVE my whole wheat noodles and bread =) I'm still losing btw.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    IIFYM