The mesuring tape is also a liar

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
Many here posted picture to show that the scale is a lying span of satan. Here is one very good exemple :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

So many times we will say “use the measuring tape” and it is a better way to know if things are going in the right direction.
I have been lifting for more than 9 months and in the first 6 weeks I lost 6 inches total. I was ecstatic then my measuring tape stop being so kind to me. In fact in the last 7 months and a half, I barely lost half an inch here and there. In the mirror, I was kinda looking different but I could not tell you how and where. So what did I do? I whined to my friends a bit (ok a lot) but I still everyday continued lifting heavy, doing a bit of cardio and watching my calories.
After now 9 months I can tell you that it is not because the tools you use show no difference that nothing is actually happening. To show why in my case, I was not losing inches. I made this graphic. (I am a technical drafter so sorry if my graphic suck….just don’t show it to my boss ok?) The black line is the shape my body every 3 months and the red lines are where I was actually taking my measurements. Well my body changed more than that but let keep it simple because really, I do not have tatas anymore, I have sexy pecs.

11614737_4244.jpg

My hips for example, I always took my measurements at the widest part, so no changes but I was measuring lower and lower. Same thing happened to my waist. At first it was almost under my ribs now it is almost at my belly button.

So thank God I didn’t quit because I am very happy to what I was able to do with patience :)

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    At least you have sexy pecs though!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I'm not making progress, I've gotta blame something.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    At least you have sexy pecs though!

:blushing:
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to measure at the same spot, every time. The measuring tape isn't a liar, you're doing it wrong.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I am not making excuses. It just took my a while to notice what was happening
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to illustrate.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy for 2 months...up 5 pounds in weight..tape hasnt moved..but have dropped to a size 6..almost a size 4
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Photos are also lies due to light refraction index which makes me look fatter then I actually am.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't have the scientific proof like you do :P, but I have been coming to the same conclusion. I have lost very little weight and inches in the last 6 months but I've dropped from a size 14 to a size 10/8. I have been wondering what has been going on and I was just concluding that I my whole body is changing, not just the 4 or 5 places that I have been measuring.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You are a friggin genius. I would never have figured out that the smallest spot was changing location.

How did you figure it out?

I have several handy dandy freckles that I use to make sure I'm lining up the tape in the same location. But an un-freckled person wouldn't have a reference point.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the graphics :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I always measure at the belly button for waist, but I might be measuring too high for hips.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You are a friggin genius. I would never have figured out that the smallest spot was changing location.

How did you figure it out?

I have several handy dandy freckles that I use to make sure I'm lining up the tape in the same location. But an un-freckled person wouldn't have a reference point.

Yeah, I never would have figured it out either!

I'm contemplated getting tattoos to help with tape measurements... Not really, but I also don't put much stock into them because I can never be sure I'm doing them in the exact same spot.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options

Since the OP did not make progress, the OP was clearly trying to problem-solve.
  • saintspoon
    Options
    You are supposed to measure at the same spot, every time. The measuring tape isn't a liar, you're doing it wrong.

Yup.... i think that was the point of her post....She's admitting that she was doing it wrong & it took a while to figure out that she was even doing it wrong & it caused her to believe her work was for nothing.

She has now posted this to show us other members so we don't do the same thing & become frustrated from our results. Yanicka is no dummy so if she was doing it wrong it's very likely she's not the only one.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

Yup.... i think that was the point of her post....She's admitting that she was doing it wrong & it took a while to figure out that she was even doing it wrong & it caused her to believe her work was for nothing.

She has now posted this to show us other members so we don't do the same thing & become frustrated from our results. Yanicka is no dummy so if she was doing it wrong it's very likely she's not the only one.

Thank you.
    I was trying to find a way to explain myself but your answer is perfect.....and it has alot less ********** ****** ******* than my answer. My english probably make me sound uneducated but I can assure you it is not the case. also I see so many strugeling when they see no changes.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this graphic!! It explains *a lot*!!

My husband has been measuring me and he confessed today, "I don't think I'm measuring the same spot, everytime..."

But, to me, he WAS, because he was measuring the LARGEST spot (each time), but, perhaps, like you, the LARGEST spot is moving in a southward direction??

(Although I have not lost *sizes*, either....)

I know where to measure my thigh, because I use the "fingertip" test (i.e. drop arm straight by side, and measure at the spot where longest fingertip ends.)

And, I know where to measure my bra-line because of, well, my bra.

But, every other measurement is likely a bit off as each month goes by.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    so how are we supposed to measure it? I have been having the same problem. Thought waist has to be smallest spot, hip the widest? Am I supposed to remember where I measured a year ago :-o ????
  • saintspoon
    Options
    so how are we supposed to measure it? I have been having the same problem. Thought waist has to be smallest spot, hip the widest? Am I supposed to remember where I measured a year ago :-o ????

When I joined a gym a few years ago & they took my measurements... when they did my waist the lady asked me to bend at the waste to the side. When you bend to the side you see the waist indent & measure there. I hope that's kinda helpful!

*edited for spelling*
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty meticulous with my measuring. It's my only hope right now. Haha