Eating at a Restaurant

Options
cournae
cournae Posts: 30 Member
I'm going out to eat with my mom tonight, (which I very rarely do!), at a seafood/burger restaurant and am on the 1200 calorie plan. I'm just curious what people order at restaurants to stay on track and within their calorie goal. I have already eaten about 200 calories less for lunch than I usually would, in order to prepare for tonight, but what are some other good ideas as far as substitutes, what to order and what not to order at a restaurant.

-Courtney :)

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    I work out extra and try to order as healthy as possible. Salad, dressings on the side, no cheese, or cheese on the side, no croutons (or on the side)--I do a lot of "on the side" things so if I want the flavor I can control how much I use. I will also order leaner meats, or an easy way to cut calories if you want a burger is to get it without the bun, or take of half of the bun. If it a seafood place I bet you can get some good fish, just stay away from deep-fried and cream sauces. Also, stick to water or unsweetened tea to drink. Basically, when I know I am eating out, I just exercise more, or I chalk it up as a bad-calorie day and move on.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Salad and fish without a bunch of sauces or a huge plate of rice with it!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Grilled seafood is always a good option. and don't forget about the appetizer section. Sometimes you can find a healthy option in there for your meal vice an actual entree.
  • iuali81
    iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to eat out, I go online and look at the menu. I plan out exactly what I'm going to order. Sometimes you can even get the calorie info off the site. This way, I'm not tempted by anything else b/c I already know what I'm going to order. Salad dressing and all sauce on the side. You control it that way. Ask them to prepare your meat and vegetables w/o butter. Switch out extra veggies for potatoes. Drink water or tea. You can't control the food at a restaurant, but if you have some extra calories, try to enjoy the night out!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I check the menu before going out, too. And if all else fails, don't worry too much about it. It's only one day, and tomorrow you can be extra healthy!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    All these are good tips. Also, if possible (and if you can't get something that won't put you over your limit), eat half the meal and box up the rest. Cuts your calories in half, AND gives you lunch the next day.
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to a restaurant yet but it is a bit scary. Especially when you are doing so well you just don't want to mess up the progress you have made. I suggest going online and looking at the restaurant's menu and see if they have the items nutritional value. And remember to always ask the waiter to put half of your meal in a doggy bag so you won't be tempted to splurge. I am actually going out this weekend and I am going to try this out. And if you cannot find item's on the website there are always other sites online that can help you find the caloric intake of your meal. :flowerforyou:
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to order something however you want it. You can always change sides to veggies or a salad. Shrimp or grilled fish is always a good way to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to eat with my mom tonight, (which I very rarely do!), at a seafood/burger restaurant and am on the 1200 calorie plan. I'm just curious what people order at restaurants to stay on track and within their calorie goal. I have already eaten about 200 calories less for lunch than I usually would, in order to prepare for tonight, but what are some other good ideas as far as substitutes, what to order and what not to order at a restaurant.

-Courtney :)
    Split the entree. You save money and calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    When I know I'm going to eat out, I go online and look at the menu. I plan out exactly what I'm going to order. Sometimes you can even get the calorie info off the site. This way, I'm not tempted by anything else b/c I already know what I'm going to order. Salad dressing and all sauce on the side. You control it that way. Ask them to prepare your meat and vegetables w/o butter. Switch out extra veggies for potatoes. Drink water or tea. You can't control the food at a restaurant, but if you have some extra calories, try to enjoy the night out!

Exactly. If they offer free extras (bread, chips,etc) try to avoid it, or get a plate and only have one portion. Otherwise, what they said. Except for Mexican food. I save up calories or work out for enchiladas verdes.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    [/quote]Split the entree. You save money and calories
    [/quote]

I splint entrees with myself. I divide my meal in two portions and take one of them home for the next day's lunch!
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've become a huge fan of salmon since I started getting serious about losing weight. When I go to restaurants that have it on the menu I ask for them to "cook it clean", no seasoning, no butter, no salt, no oil and then I choose the healthiest looking side to go with it also cooked as clean as possible. You are going to get weird looks, but it is really delicious in my opinion.
  • AlaskaLily
    AlaskaLily Posts: 75
    Options
    1200 may not be enough anyways. That is soooo little calories! Anyways, I found that "splurge" days actually helped me lose weight because you were messing with your metabolism. I actually eat a rotated schedule of 1600, 1400, 1600, 1400...it's worked. But I agree with splitting dishes...it's sooo hard to find yummy stuff for low cals at places. Good luck :)
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1200 may not be enough anyways. That is soooo little calories! Anyways, I found that "splurge" days actually helped me lose weight because you were messing with your metabolism. I actually eat a rotated schedule of 1600, 1400, 1600, 1400...it's worked. But I agree with splitting dishes...it's sooo hard to find yummy stuff for low cals at places. Good luck :)

I should correct myself- I eat 1500 calories and exercise 300 off by walking/jogging, so it nets to about 1200. (and this is only 6 days a week, I rest on Sundays and net 1500)- According to the MFP site calculator, my BMR is 1500, so I'm not that far off.

Thanks everyone for the ideas- I will most likely end up splurging on something like a burger, and just splitting it- Half tonight, and half for lunch tomorrow!
  • AmandaDeShawn
    AmandaDeShawn Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Split the entree. You save money and calories
    [/quote]

I splint entrees with myself. I divide my meal in two portions and take one of them home for the next day's lunch!
    [/quote]

I'm definitely going to do this!