stress coping?

foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
do anyone have tried and true methods of how to cope with stress?

i haven't always had a problem where i literally cave in under pressure, but the past few months have been awful. my eye was even twitching for a little while, and the doctor did nothing for me. and it twitched....alllll day. i quit my job, and weeks later, it disappeared.
and now i feel like because i am focusing so much on my weight loss, while i go over some days on my calories, i am still eating way less.

but i would look to stay at my cals, but i am totally emotionally eating bad for me foods which put me over, you can look at my food diary, i don't eat THAT much food, but go over from the bad stuff.

i also have a hard time getting exercising when i feel stressed.

what do you guys do to chill out?

Replies

• WillyG
    WillyG Posts: 80
    I have just had the worst day at work. All I want to do right now is order in a pizza. I am trying my best to not do that and I hope that I manage to make it through the rest of the day wihout doing so.

So, I can't really help you, but I am in the same boat.
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    YOGA! Seriously, it changed the way I process stress completely. But really any exercise is great for combating stress . . . exercise releases euphoric endorphins . . . when you feel stress coming on, go for a walk or a bike ride or do some push-ups . . . whatever works!
  • foxyforce
    i let stress build up...i am mobile, so i will have to walk 20 minutes to my bus in the morning...which just isn't a enough to cut it out. i need extrenuating exercises. if only i had more time before i felt like i had the weight of the world ontop of me.

and hopefully i don't become that weight!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I'm in the same boat...had a major fight with my EX-best friend... :( I have the opposite problem though...barely ate anything today...just not hungry. I did find that the best thing was to go for a nature walk. Helped me to think things out and just let out any emotions. If you like, you could invite a friend and vent to her...that is the best!! :happy:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Meditation. There are many sources for guided de-stressors, some as near as YouTube. Some are long, and some are short. Sometimes the short ones are good for me, because I don't have even 5 minutes for a session, so a 10 second one is pretty important. Breathing properly helps you focus past the chaos causing the stress, and that's what meditation can do.

Hot baths, AFTER the stressing day, instead of popping open a beer or pouring a shot, or ordering pizza out, also works for me. Especially if I just finished working out, a hot shower or bath is perfect. I come out of a bathtub with a completely different perspective on life.
  • foxyforce
    Meditation. There are many sources for guided de-stressors, some as near as YouTube. Some are long, and some are short. Sometimes the short ones are good for me, because I don't have even 5 minutes for a session, so a 10 second one is pretty important. Breathing properly helps you focus past the chaos causing the stress, and that's what meditation can do.

Hot baths, AFTER the stressing day, instead of popping open a beer or pouring a shot, or ordering pizza out, also works for me. Especially if I just finished working out, a hot shower or bath is perfect. I come out of a bathtub with a completely different perspective on life.

thank you so much. i know it seems so simple. but i need to hear it, affirming myself only goes so far sometimes.

i am going to go put on my shorts, my sports bra, and run. i hope it is still raining, cause that to me is therapy!
    and THEN i am going to take a hot bath with candles... thank you so much!!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:
  • Haha... at first I thought she said "Medication" instead of "Meditation". :laugh:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Breathing...Go on the internet and find some good breathing exercises. One I do is slowly take as deep a breath as I possibly can, hold it for 5 seconds, and very slowly exhale through pursed lips...like your whistling but without making any noise. Repeat several times. If you can, do it with your eyes closed. I do this many times on my way to and from work (eyes open when driving, of course! :laugh: ) Other than that...a good long soak in the tub or some yoga work well for me.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Haha... at first I thought she said "Medication" instead of "Meditation". :laugh:
    LOL :laugh: that's an option too! Not lately though.
This discussion has been closed.