Anyone doing the New Atkins Program

Options
dihar2
dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
I am considering the New Atkins low carb program as it has evolved to a more balanced approach with veg etc. I definitely am grain carb über sensitive. Is there an existing group or would anyone like to start/be a part of one? Looking for all who are positive about this program. No bashers please.

Oh, just found an Atkins group here.

I'm still interested in comments. Thanks

Replies

• SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if you found it yet, it's called low carber daily forum. :)
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yup I started today ...
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you are starting this, keep in mind that the goal is to live healthier and the diet is your regular routine. You need to set the expectation that you will maintain this lifestyle versus using it for short-term success. By doing so, you will have a higher success rate at keeping the weight off...otherwise, it's just another Fad diet which will lead you back to gaining.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it's just another Fad diet which will lead you back to gaining.

Try telling the Swedish LC/HF movement that.

It's a viable lifestyle as much as eating tons of carbs and slaving away mindlessly in a gym to counter them is. See, we can all be prejudice :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it has developed as you say and there's a book by the medics behind it - Phinney and Volek about low carb living.

I would stay away from their products, with the possible exceptions of the ones with actual foodstuffs as the major ingredient. Lots of scope for eating proper food - we just had baked salmon with mushrooms fried in butter, green beans fried in coconut oil, steamed spinach and kale, tomato and red pepper. Less than 5g of carbs all up.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Mrs_Holly Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm doing Atkins and following the book the best I can. I'm don't follow it like any bible... but I'm following as I understand it. When my weight swings up... I RUN TO ATKINS to get my weight back down... and somehow it seems to stay down for a long time. Nothing else has helped me. I've done all of them just like you have. Everyone's body is different... but it is working for me. I actually do a fast for about 4 days to get the carbs cleared from my system and then start new with lowww carbs and I log, log, log ALL of my food intake. Even if it's just a 1 slice of an apple. I LOG IT ALL. it makes me see just what I REALLY eat. Be honest to yourself just once and see... That is what I was told and now I'm doing it. It surprised me for a few days! lol Ok... it shocked me. I seen what I was leaving out because I didn't want to blow my numbers. What makes it work I think is "NOT going over the carbs" That low carb number limit has kept me from "craving" things with carbs I always ate way to much of. I am honestly telling you I am not missing the ice cream and chocolate, big bowls of watermellon, chips, potaotes, buttered toast, pasta dishes and all those high carb things. I am now a little more then 6 pounds away from my goal weight. YOU CAN DO IT! Oh one other thing... if you are JUST doing the Atkins or low carb diet... if you REALLY want to make the weight drop faster... pick one exercise! Pick one time in the day that is just for you and do it. I log that to! My weight has dropped so much faster and I feel firmer and HAPPIER!

Besides pork rinds... what else do you snack on for low or no carbs????

Are there any Atkins groups on here that I could join?

Holly
  • brunochains
    brunochains Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on a sort of low carbs diet. Quality fats, protein and carbs with low GI. It has presented good results as I have lost fat but not loads of muscle despite the fact that my program is based on strength training which does require some carbs. Atkins will work wonders as I tried it myself years ago but may not be as satisfying on the long run. Anyway I hope u get the results u want and count on our support!