Fresh off the HG(Hungry Girl) presses....

Options
Spotted on Shelves...

Kashi Thin Crust Pizzas - Yum! These new pizzas have a super-thin crust made of Kashi's signature Seven Whole Grains & Sesame blend and flax seeds. They're available in Roasted Vegetable, Mushroom Trio & Spinach, and Tomato Garlic Cheese. One third of each large pizza has 270 - 280 calories, 9g fat, and 5g fiber (POINTS® value 5 - 6*).

Newman's Own Natural Salad Mist - There are new spray dressings in town, and they ROCK. These ALL-NATURAL sprays come in Tuscan Italian, Asian Sesame, and Balsamic. A 10-spritz serving has 10 - 15 calories, 0.5 - 1g fat, and a POINTS® value of 0*.

Smart Balance Omega Light Buttery Spread with Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Like the original light spread, this stuff has less than half the calories and fat of regular butter. But the new formula also contains lots of good-for-you Ome ga-3 fatty acids. A tablespoon has just 40 calories, 4.5g fat, and a POINTS® value of 1* (not bad for some heart-healthy buttery goodness!).

Whole Grains = A Whole Lotta Good for You!

A recent study conducted by researchers at Penn State found that diets including lots of whole grains might help people lose weight and reduce their risk of developing chronic illnesses, like diabetes and heart disease. That's great news, especially since so many food brands are now adding whole-grain products to their lineups. We've recently spotted whole-grain Pop-Tarts in both Brown Sugar Cinnamon (200 calories, 7g fat) and Strawberry (190 calories, 5g fat). Each of these toaster pastries has 3g fiber and a POINTS® value of 4*. We say if you need a Pop-Tart fix, you might as well get some fiber with it! FYI, one of our favorite whole-grain-happy brands is Kashi (see awesome Thin Crust Pizzas above).

Dining Out News You Can Use!

Two new 6-inchers have hit Subway's Fresh Fit menu -- Black Forest Ham and Tender Roast Beef. Each sub has 290 calories, 5g fat, and 5g fiber (POINTS® value 5*). In addition, Subway is now serving Coke Zero (our personal favorite diet soda!). Also making its debut, a brand-new item on the Weight Watchers menu at Applebee's -- the Grilled Chili-Lime Chicken Salad (260 calories, 6g fat, 6g fiber -- POINTS® value 5*). It's got seasoned grilled chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers, two types of cheese, and other fun stuff (including a snazzy chili-lime vinaigrette!). And while we're sayin g hello to these great new options, we need to say a tearful goodbye to Starbucks' hot b-fast sandwiches, including our morning obsession -- the Spinach, Roasted Tomato, Feta & Egg Wrap. The 'Bucks will be phasing them out in upcoming months. Seems the eggy aroma was competing with coffee smells. So sad. We'll conjure up an HG recipe replacement soon. In slightly happier (but also slightly frightening) news, Red Robin has finally gone public with their nutritional info (http://www.redrobin.com/home/customizer.aspx)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1340

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Spotted on Shelves...

Kashi Thin Crust Pizzas - Yum! These new pizzas have a super-thin crust made of Kashi's signature Seven Whole Grains & Sesame blend and flax seeds. They're available in Roasted Vegetable, Mushroom Trio & Spinach, and Tomato Garlic Cheese. One third of each large pizza has 270 - 280 calories, 9g fat, and 5g fiber (POINTS® value 5 - 6*).

Newman's Own Natural Salad Mist - There are new spray dressings in town, and they ROCK. These ALL-NATURAL sprays come in Tuscan Italian, Asian Sesame, and Balsamic. A 10-spritz serving has 10 - 15 calories, 0.5 - 1g fat, and a POINTS® value of 0*.

Smart Balance Omega Light Buttery Spread with Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Like the original light spread, this stuff has less than half the calories and fat of regular butter. But the new formula also contains lots of good-for-you Ome ga-3 fatty acids. A tablespoon has just 40 calories, 4.5g fat, and a POINTS® value of 1* (not bad for some heart-healthy buttery goodness!).

Whole Grains = A Whole Lotta Good for You!

A recent study conducted by researchers at Penn State found that diets including lots of whole grains might help people lose weight and reduce their risk of developing chronic illnesses, like diabetes and heart disease. That's great news, especially since so many food brands are now adding whole-grain products to their lineups. We've recently spotted whole-grain Pop-Tarts in both Brown Sugar Cinnamon (200 calories, 7g fat) and Strawberry (190 calories, 5g fat). Each of these toaster pastries has 3g fiber and a POINTS® value of 4*. We say if you need a Pop-Tart fix, you might as well get some fiber with it! FYI, one of our favorite whole-grain-happy brands is Kashi (see awesome Thin Crust Pizzas above).

Dining Out News You Can Use!

Two new 6-inchers have hit Subway's Fresh Fit menu -- Black Forest Ham and Tender Roast Beef. Each sub has 290 calories, 5g fat, and 5g fiber (POINTS® value 5*). In addition, Subway is now serving Coke Zero (our personal favorite diet soda!). Also making its debut, a brand-new item on the Weight Watchers menu at Applebee's -- the Grilled Chili-Lime Chicken Salad (260 calories, 6g fat, 6g fiber -- POINTS® value 5*). It's got seasoned grilled chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers, two types of cheese, and other fun stuff (including a snazzy chili-lime vinaigrette!). And while we're sayin g hello to these great new options, we need to say a tearful goodbye to Starbucks' hot b-fast sandwiches, including our morning obsession -- the Spinach, Roasted Tomato, Feta & Egg Wrap. The 'Bucks will be phasing them out in upcoming months. Seems the eggy aroma was competing with coffee smells. So sad. We'll conjure up an HG recipe replacement soon. In slightly happier (but also slightly frightening) news, Red Robin has finally gone public with their nutritional info (http://www.redrobin.com/home/customizer.aspx)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1340
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The whole grain pop tarts are great! I bought them for my 3 year-old after his cousins introduced him to pop-tarts. I was hoping to avoid them but of course he loved them and begged and begged. They are yummy!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's about time they kinda healthied up Pop Tarts.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen these poptarts yet...but I'll need to try them. I'll keep an eye out!!!

*kistinbee*
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post/tips
    I love pop-tarts..BUT recently realized only ONE pop-tart (not 2 that come in each 'bag') are 200 calories
    I was eating 400 calories...OUCH!

Kim