TDEE & burned calories question

I have stalled out the last couple of weeks so I refiguring some of my numbers and going to make some changes. I think my metabolism is working better and I am not eating enough. I have been calculating my TDEE on several online calculators and thought of something.

If I list that I exercise 3-5 times per week when calculating my TDEE then I should not eat back my burned calories because it is already making the adjustment for them. On the other hand, if I put down sedentary/no exercise then I should eat them back because they are not calculated. Is this right??

Beyond the exercise I get when I work out I am sedentary so I want to make sure I get this right. I know to figure your BMR you put an over all activity level but TDEE calculators seem to be asking more about how much exercise you get not necessarily your daily activity level.

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I have stalled out the last couple of weeks so I refiguring some of my numbers and going to make some changes. I think my metabolism is working better and I am not eating enough. I have been calculating my TDEE on several online calculators and thought of something.

If I list that I exercise 3-5 times per week when calculating my TDEE then I should not eat back my burned calories because it is already making the adjustment for them. On the other hand, if I put down sedentary/no exercise then I should eat them back because they are not calculated. Is this right??

Beyond the exercise I get when I work out I am sedentary so I want to make sure I get this right. I know to figure your BMR you put an over all activity level but TDEE calculators seem to be asking more about how much exercise you get not necessarily your daily activity level.

Thanks!

Your logic is right. But I always suggest people including their exercise into their TDEE. This way, you don't chase calories. If you workout 3 days a week for an hour, then you are lightly to moderately active.