HELP working out and eating 1200 calories NO CHANGE

Options

Replies

• chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A few tips I've used;

Give yourself atleast 5 weeks of following MFP and excersising.
    Weigh yourself once a month or less
    Take body measurements that is where you will notice it first.
    Drink water
    Gree Tea
    6 small meals a day (Breakfast largest, supper smallest)
    High protein, lower carbs & fat (ot too low)
    7.5 hours sleep per night help your metabolism

Hope these help
  • brenlynn23
    brenlynn23 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all!
  • Morgan103084
    Options
    i'm not sure if anyone knows this, but if you have Comcast with on demand, there are tons of free workout videos under sports and fitness. i love it, do kickboxing on it everyday. good burn!
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    well you said it yourself 'working out and eating 1200/1300 cals'..you're body is starving, if you workou at least 3-5 times a week you should be eating aroudn 1400/1700 depending how much you excercise...
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    BTW i use to eat 1200/1300 and worked out almost everyday and nothing....i upto 1400/1500 and worked out at least 30 minutes a day heavy cardio 3-4 days aweek....i'm 18lbs lighter....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd say you're eating too little. My BMR is 1600. That's if I was in a coma. So I think 1200 for most people is insanely low. Not sustainable. Add exercise on top of that and you're killing your metabolism and losing muscle unless you're super super petite/short. I'd start and eat back all your exercise calories, or find another BMR calculator. MFP is low. fat2fitradio.com has great calculators. Good luck! and eat!!
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    If you're serious about getting in shape?!?! Look into P90x DVDs and/or Insanity DVDs
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    i'm not sure if anyone knows this, but if you have Comcast with on demand, there are tons of free workout videos under sports and fitness. i love it, do kickboxing on it everyday. good burn!

Oh no, I didn't know that!!! I will definately be on demand finding some workout videos. I like to switch up and do different workouts. I get bored doing the same thing! THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!!
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    I also agree with greysmom...You actually have to eat to lose weight
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    ummm. I just want to say NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION.

From your post and your information available, you could be 180 lbs. Or you could be a 90 lb anorexic. I will say that if you are eating only 1200 and buring 400, you're netting 800 which isn't enough and can make your body cling to what it has for dear life. There's also a lot in terms of exercise that could be affecting you- when you begin a new exercise program, it's not uncommon for your body to hold on to extra water for a bit. There are just too many variables.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Your not eating enough apparently..try adding some more calories ..good ones (fruit,veggies,grains)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    simple. eat more.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Gosh, thank you for all your responses. SO nice to see all your helpful information. Will start measuring myself, and eating back my burnt off calories. Also, should I continue lifting weigths? I do chest press, leg press, and 10 pound weights with lunges??

always lift weights :)
  • vprendon
    vprendon Posts: 2
    Options
    I lift weights 3 times a week for about an hour and burn between 540-570 calories. I make sure to eat them back. I may be under the calories a bit but make every effort to eat them. Good luck :smile: !
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM when you work out? I didn't get one until about three weeks on MFP and realized MFP's calories burned estimates were way high. I would work out for hours and eat back my calories... only to find out I was eating back way more than I should have been. Like, hundreds and hundreds over. The discrepancy was huge.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You should probably eat more. I kicked my 3 month plateau by doing the following:

1. Researched info regarding my TDEE and BRM. Fitnessfrog.com was a great tool for that.
    2. Upped my caloric intake based on the above numbers. I went from eating 1200 calories to around 1700. However, I didn’t specifically eat my exercise calories back.
    3. Started clean eating; less processed food, more whole/fresh items. I am following my own modified version of phase 1 South Beach Diet. This has lowered my carbs between 50-75g & protein 125-150g. (Disclaimer: I eat PLENTY of carbs on the weekend, I don’t hold back! I have learned to be very focused during the week to allow for weekend splurges and have not gained anything back.)
    4. Changed my exercise routine. Once your body gets used to the same thing it’s hard to get additional results, so vamp up your workout!
    5. Its suggested to get a good HRM to track your progress. I invested in a Polar FT7 and will never workout again without it!
    6. Drink plenty of water! I drink about a gallon a day.
    7. Get plenty of rest. I was only getting about 3 hours per night. Now I’m getting about 7. Makes a world of difference.

Doing all the above allowed me to lose 12.8 pounds last month. It takes time to lose weight, but with hard work and determination you can do it! Don’t get discouraged. I’m not saying the above will work for you; however, I tried it as a last option and it netted great results.

Check out my profile pic, that was just 30 days of work to get that result. Feel free to look at my diary as well if you wanted some suggestions. Be warned however, I do eat a lot of the same things!

Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    don't eat 1200 calories. simple. it's too little.
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Could be that simple. :smile:
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been working out and burning about 400 calories every other day, and eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day for the past 21/2 weeks and I haven't seen any change. Does someone have a daily regiment they follow that I could steal from. Need instructing here I think? Please help, getting married in October and tired of looking the way I do.

You may want to try eating your exercise calories back. :smile: