A healthy diet for your children

Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
Believe it or not, the nutritional needs of children have not changed in the last 20 years. However, the world they live in certainly has. It is quite a different childhood experience for kids and teens, with fast food restaurants on every corner, big-gulp colas, 50 or more TV channels to surf, text messaging, mall hopping, video games, and ipods. It is important that we update our parental nutrition lessons to help them form the best possible eating habits for life in the 21st century.

Read more here:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=465

~Joanna:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Believe it or not, the nutritional needs of children have not changed in the last 20 years. However, the world they live in certainly has. It is quite a different childhood experience for kids and teens, with fast food restaurants on every corner, big-gulp colas, 50 or more TV channels to surf, text messaging, mall hopping, video games, and ipods. It is important that we update our parental nutrition lessons to help them form the best possible eating habits for life in the 21st century.

Read more here:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=465

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I find it very important that I, as a mother, feed my children properly. I haven't always fed myself great but my kids have filled me with pride because they make great choices all because of what I have taught them.

Kids are naturally good eatters when you make it fun. I buy cooking light and some other magazines, and my husband is a chef, so the kids go through the new magazines every month and pick out food that "looks" good to them and then we have one or two meals a week of "new food" and then we rate it as not so good, good but needs more spice, tasty, and keep in the favorites book.

The favorites book is a binder with dividers (chicken, veggies, etc) and when we find a dish that we really like we put it in a plastic sheet protector and file it in the book for favorite stand by's!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    My girls love their veggies & they don't mind my healthy foods.

• hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    I try to have both my girls eat healthy. My two year old actually prefers good food she loves her veggies chicken grapes. She tries to pass anything else off on her baby sister lol. Who as of now doesn't to like veggies much. But prefers meat and whole grains. Funny how they can be so close but so different . So as I encourage one to eat vegetables I try to get the other to try the rice. I think having my two girls make me want live healthier for myself and them.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    I'm shocked at the number of calories there are in foods directed at children. About 5 years ago I did daily calculations for the meals I made my child and was surprised at how much it added up to. I immediately started cutting back where we could and modifying everything. I haven't done it in a while but I think I'll do it again to see how we're doing.
This discussion has been closed.