Should I eat less than my BMR?

Options
i'm sorry if this has been posted before, but just want to clear up a couple of points, mainly about my BMR. I have about 40lbs I want to lose and was wondering if I should keep my daily calorie intake at my BMR which is 1540? Will it matter if I burn enough calories to put me below 1200 (I usually do with all the walking, etc) or should there be as much deficit as possible?
I still have alot of work to do regarding self discipline around food.

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is what worked for me I ate 1600-2000 calories a day did not eat my excersice calories back and I lost about 80lbs pretty easily i might add. Almost feel guilty on how quickly it came off my excersice of choice is running, run, run, run then I ran somemore. Ok usually about 1 hour to 1.5 hours 3-5 days a week. And i stayed very active at work walking, up and down stairs ect ect ect.
  • BlooQKazoo
    BlooQKazoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I do. I've heard that you shouldn't, but that's usually from people who tend to binge when they get hungry. My BMR is 1600-something, and I usually eat between 1200 and 1400 a day and work off about 500 (which I also don't eat back). I've lost 99.6 pounds so far (just .4 more!), and I'm still going strong. I'm confident that I'll be able to keep it off, too, since I do have that discipline with food. It just feels good to eat vegetables, and I feel as though I've educated myself on nutrition to the point at which I'd be able to continue making smart choices in the future. The self-discipline comes with time. Eventually, a salad sounds more appetizing than french fries. Promise.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    Thank you : ) Maybe I should just run more then? :D Wow, 80lbs lost, that is really impressive!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    I do. I've heard that you shouldn't, but that's usually from people who tend to binge when they get hungry. My BMR is 1600-something, and I usually eat between 1200 and 1400 a day and work off about 500 (which I also don't eat back). I've lost 99.6 pounds so far (just .4 more!), and I'm still going strong. I'm confident that I'll be able to keep it off, too, since I do have that discipline with food. It just feels good to eat vegetables, and I feel as though I've educated myself on nutrition to the point at which I'd be able to continue making smart choices in the future. The self-discipline comes with time. Eventually, a salad sounds more appetizing than french fries. Promise.

I think I'm going to have to tighten up alot on my diet. I do love healthy food but my kids and husband don't, so that makes meal planning alot more difficult and I end up eating what they eat. We don't eat alot of french fries, I never was a huge fan of fried foods. You've done brilliantly to lose that much : )
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body and eat the right foods. How much you eat will depend on how you feel.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Eventually, a salad sounds more appetizing than french fries. Promise.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:noway: I have to disagree.... However, I do PREFER to eat healthy now.... and I do eat the salad over the fries.... but Man sometimes they just smell sooooooo good :)
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only eat around 1200 when my BMR is somewhere around 1900. I've been losing weight consistently for a good few months with no plateau. There is a lot of scaremongering on here which, quite frankly, is ridiculous and, at times, hilarious. But at the end of the day, you have to remember this is an internet forum quoting Wikipedia and other non-scientific sites and not a respected biological community.
  • Perisylpha
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions. : )
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs if you do nothing but lie in bed all day. I would not recommend eating less than that, unless under the direction and supervision of your doctor.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs if you do nothing but lie in bed all day. I would not recommend eating less than that, unless under the direction and supervision of your doctor.

This.

Which isn't "scaremongering", by the way.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    No, you should not. Especially being a woman, you can really jack up your hormones. That's not something you want to mess with. Learn how to eat properly so that the weight loss is for life.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/amount-calories.html

This is a .gov site as opposed to Wikipedia. Interestingly enough, when I put in my info. it gave me the number I'm currently eating - 2600 calories. My BMR is in the 1700ish range depending on which calculator is used. If you want to know what the nutritional recommendations for your body are, you can simply follow the appropriate link and input your personal information. It only takes a minute.

I don't regret upping my calories. Eating below BMR is not sensible. I don't think people are trying to scaremonger - they're being honest. As someone who's yo-yo'd all my life, I really wish someone had given me the proper calorie number years ago. Eating 1200-1500 calories a day only set me up for failure.

I've dealt with jacked up hormones and wonder if it's not a result of my years yo-yo'ing on low cal diets. Obviously, make your own decision. I just wish someone had been there years ago to tell me this information.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry if this has been posted before, but just want to clear up a couple of points, mainly about my BMR. I have about 40lbs I want to lose and was wondering if I should keep my daily calorie intake at my BMR which is 1540? Will it matter if I burn enough calories to put me below 1200 (I usually do with all the walking, etc) or should there be as much deficit as possible?
    I still have alot of work to do regarding self discipline around food.

Each person is different. What works for one person may or may not work for another. You have to take a little time to figure out what feels right for your body and helps you lose weight.

Keep in mind that your BMR, while very approximate as calculated, is your caloric needs for one day while completely at rest. Eating significantly below what your body needs to function will eventually make your body kind of freak out and try to hold onto everything that goes into it (the much talked about starvation mode). Where that threshold is is different for everyone. What MFP basically does is take your BMR and your declared activity level and calculates an approximate daily energy usage (sometimes referred to as TDEE). Your goal loss for the week (1/2 lb, 1 lb, 2 lb, etc.) gets broken down into calories by 3500 calories for 1 lb. Say your goal is 1 lb per week, 3500 / 7 = 500 calories per day deficit needed. TDEE - deficit = calorie goal MFP gives you.

This is why a) unless you don't ever get off the couch it's highly recommended you eat at least your BMR every day and b) why it's perfectly fine (even good) to eat some or all of your exercise burned calories.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    No. Read the last few posts before mine. Eat above your BMR. If you eat below you will probably lose weight but it will be fat AND muscle. Muscle is good, it burns more calories, you don't want to lose that. Here's the thing, your body is like a home that you have to live in for the rest of your life, so you want to take the best care of it as you can, so protect it and treat it well.
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    All I can tell you is what worked for me I ate 1600-2000 calories a day did not eat my excersice calories back and I lost about 80lbs pretty easily i might add. Almost feel guilty on how quickly it came off my excersice of choice is running, run, run, run then I ran somemore. Ok usually about 1 hour to 1.5 hours 3-5 days a week. And i stayed very active at work walking, up and down stairs ect ect

AWESOME LOSS ;0) You must feel GREAT!!!!!!!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You should never eat below your bmr. If after you exercise your net calories are below your bmr you need to eat me back til you at least eat your bmr.
  • kdenapolis
    kdenapolis Posts: 15
    Options
    My BMR on this site lists 1425. When I went to the linked site (above), it lists my BMR at 1800. So, I am very, very confused. that's a lot of difference! Very confused now. Help?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the body need at least 1200 calories just to keep itself going so muscle ware doesnt happen? Have you been able to tone up whilst keeping at that calorie deficit?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide calories, base it on how you feel and what the scale trend is doing, not what anyone here tells you to do. You can always gradually notch your calories up or down by 100 and see how you do. It takes some experimentation to find what works for YOU. What worked for the next person may not work for you just because it did for them. For the most part, if you have fat reserves eating more to lose weight is just plain silly, think about it.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

According to "The Reverse Taper Diet " :

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

Oddly enough, it seems as though some obese people have an unbelievable amount of fat available as a fuel, but a lower ability to burn that fat, whereas as they get leaner, they have less and less fat available as a fuel, but a greater and greater ability to burn the fat they do have. So at extreme levels of leanness, it is the fat availability that limits a persons ability to lose fat.