Calorie Consumption and Invisalign

Options
mogriff1
mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
I've now excercise 6 days a week and have noticed I now eat more frequently. My metabolism must be revved up now because I get hungry every 2-3 hours now. I am consuming the right amount of calories for my TDEE/activity level (with a 500 Cal deduction). So I eat about 1700-1850 calories a day. BTW I am 5'3'', SW 148, CW 135, GW 130. So, no issues there.

My issue is it is such a PAIN to constantly have to take out my invisalign trays to eat throughout the day. Since I am eating more, I have slipped up and am not brushing and flossing after EVERY meal or snack. It is so inconvenient and annoying, especially while at work. Before I would brush and floss 2 times at work (after lunch and snack). But now it seems impossible to stay on top of it with the amount of times I now eat. I work 12:8:30 pm, so I eat lunch, 2-3 snacks and dinner at work. When I can't brush and floss I swish my mouth with water. I've only had Invisalign for 3 months and have 9 more to go.

I pray I don't have any cavities at my next dental cleaning. :noway:

For those of you with Invisalign or traditional orthodontics, has your oral hygiene been affected by your increase in calorie consumption? I'm just curious.

Replies

• loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    I have traditional fixed braces, I don't really snack now, just stick to three meals a day then brush etc, and make sure I eat enough at these meals to keep me full til my next meal.
    Snacking is generally pretty bad for oral health, either with braces or not due to acid/sugar attacks according to my dentist and orthodontist so I try and keep to just three meals a day on their recommendations.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My snacks are pretty much healthy snacks, ie fruits, low fat cheese, nuts occasional Kashi bar, etc. However with Invisalign, it pretty much doesn't matter what you eat (whether it contains sugar or not) brushing and flossing is recommended after EVERYTHING you eat. I know this and try to adhere to it, but with the extra eating between meals it's a little tedious.

And there is no way on earth I could only eat 3 meals a day have my hunger satisfied no matter how fulfilling the meals are. Even if I eat a snack right after a meal (which I do sometimes), a couple of hours later I am ready to eat again. My appetite has really kicked into high gear since I've been working out. I generally consume 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I've always been informed it was better for digestion to do it this way as opposed to 3 large meals solely.
  • Tiffany919
    Tiffany919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i just got my first invisalign trays today. i'm going to have the same struggle as you. i get hungry every 2-3 hours, but i definitely don't want to have to brush and floss that often.

jillian michaels says it's best to eat every 3-4 hours (that's when you're blood sugar starts to dip). 3 large meals and a snack between lunch and dinner. i'm going to shoot for this and see if i can get adjusted to the 3 meals. i actually did this for the month of april while i was traveling. i wasn't hungry because i was constantly busy. i get hungry now because i have to wake up early and i like to take breaks from working by eating... it's a boredom thing for me.

good luck to you (and me). i hope you don't get any cavities. my teeth are prone, so i will have to be very careful.
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    Swish aggressivley with mouth wash inbetween brushings.
  • kkrondon
    kkrondon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, this is such a familiar problem; I too wear Invisalign trays. In fact, I am on my 2nd round of Invisalign because I didn't complete my treatment the first time. It is a pain to take them out, eat, brush, and floss for every meal when you eat 5 or 6 meals a day, but you gotta do it. I too started to skip brushing/flossing and began rinsing only between meals/snacks thinking that it wouldn't make a difference as long as I still brushed 2x per day, but I was wrong!!! I ended up with a gum infection and had to have a dreaded "deep cleaning" on my last visit because when you don't brush/floss, the remaining food particles get pressed into and under your gums by the trays. And the food particles are trapped and just ferment there...I know gross, but true. So watch out...wouldn't want you to cause an infection or worse problem for yourself.