Hi New guy on board

Options
Hi all I was introduced to this site by a friend as we were generally chatting about weight loss and BMI. I've just turned 50 :frown: :sick: :sad: and I'm 252lbs my aim is to get down to 210lbs by September, in time for our holidays:glasses: :bigsmile:
not really sure how realistic that is. I'm impressed by the site and how it helps me keep a daily eye on progress.
One thing that confuses me is BMI I have checked my BMI and it puts me in the obese range!! I know I am overweight but I'm quite a tall guy with a large build. It doesn't appear to take into consideration issues such as age, frame size etc. This seems a little confusing to me and in some peoples cases could possibly be dangerous. to suddenly find out you are obese is a bit of a shock:noway:
Well If the charts read right I am eating less calories now and I am under my daily amount so hopefully I should see some results:bigsmile:
I may have to take up my running again to give me an extra boost.

:smile: Colin

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hey Colin,

Welcome! :flowerforyou:

If you add in some running along with counting your calories, you'll be amazed how quickly you'll lose the weight! :drinker:

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Colin.
    Welcome aboard!
  • QtPiJJ
    QtPiJJ Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Colin! Welcome. A word about the BMI. Talk to your doctor. I know what you mean, I'm pretty tall for a girl and I have a larger frame, so I feel like the weight range the BMI lays out for me is unrealistic. I went to my doctor and he totally agreed with me. If I lost as much weight as the BMI tells me I should my doctor said I would actually be UNDER weight. :laugh: It also depends on how much muscle tone you have. I would suggest (as many people suggested to me) that you take measurements with a tape measure and use that to track your progress as well as your weight. For example, if you don't lose any weight for 2 weeks but you lose and inch off your waist you'll know you're still on the right track and not get discouraged!

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
    JJ
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    One thing that confuses me is BMI I have checked my BMI and it puts me in the obese range!! I know I am overweight but I'm quite a tall guy with a large build. It doesn't appear to take into consideration issues such as age, frame size etc. This seems a little confusing to me
    I know! I know I am larger than I should be, but obese? :grumble: :grumble: How rude! :angry:
    The weight charts also say a girl of my size should be around 115 to 123, but I've NEVER been smaller than 145 lbs. I got down to 140 once, but felt tired all the time.

I think the charts don't fit everyone indvidualy, I think its ok to stop where we feel comfortable and like the way we look.

You have a good goal set. Use the food diary, and exercise diary's to help keep you on track!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks all I, started my dieting on monday, we walk the dog for about 20mins each evening, and this morning I started jogging (I did a mile ish) my weight on sunday evening was 252lbs, I weighed myself this morning after my jog and couldnt believe my eyes I am now 245lbs !!!!!! 7lbs in 3 days!! I dont know whether to be over the moon or worried:noway: :noway: